Just A Little Bit Out Of Date

• Thread starter Deleted member 16999
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16999

Had the chance to go for a round about 4pm today, checked BRS, no booking except for a 2Ball at 3:30pm.
Great, turned up, checked Pro Shop, 2Ball was visitors and were in a buggy.
Anyway, got close enough to the 2Ball after 5 holes to see it was 2 guys, probably grandfather and grandson, caught them up on the 8th, they teed off just as I walked off the green.
I then stayed behind them, being ignored, until the 11th tee when as they left the tee box to climb into the buggy.
At this point I politely asked if I could play through, I was refused! The old guy turned and said, “I can see the course is empty, but as a single player you have no standing, so no”
I nearly fell over, I then politely told him the R&A had changed that in 2004 and unless the local committee had put in a local rule, which we don’t have at our Club he was mistaken, “no, no” he said, “I’ve been a Captain at my Club in the past and I can assure you if that was the case I’d of been informed”
Can’t lie, raging inside at this point, I then, politely said, it was his perogative to refuse to let me through, even though they were the slower players, but if he was refusing he should at least do it for genuine reasons rather than quoting a rule that changed nearly 15 years ago.
He then spluttered, “go ahead, but I’ll be checking the rules when I get home”
They were still on the 14th when I teed off on 18.
Sorry about the long post, just gobsmacked with his attitude and still can’t work out why he wasn’t going to let a single player through on an empty course.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had the chance to go for a round about 4pm today, checked BRS, no booking except for a 2Ball at 3:30pm.
Anyway, got close enough to the 2Ball after 5 holes to see it was 2 guys, probably grandfather and grandson, caught them up on the 8th, they teed off just as I walked off the green.
I then stayed behind them, being ignored, until the 11th tee when as they left the tee box to climb into the buggy.
At this point I politely asked if I could play through, I was refused! The old guy turned and said, “I can see the course is empty, but as a single player you have no standing, so no”
I nearly fell over, I then politely told him the R&A had changed that in 2004 and unless the local committee had put in a local rule, which we don’t have at our Club he was mistaken, “no, no” he said, “I’ve been a Captain at my Club in the past and I can assure you if that was the case I’d of been informed”
Can’t lie, raging inside at this point, I then, politely said, it was his perogative to refuse to let me through, even though they were the slower players, but if he was refusing he should at least do it for genuine reasons rather than quoting a rule that changed nearly 15 years ago.
Sorry about the long post, just gobsmacked with his attitude and still can’t work out why he wasn’t going to let a single player through on an empty course.
Idiots like that are holding the game back

Even back when singles had no standing it was stupid to refuse... if someone is faster your just getting in their way by stopping them going through. Ruining for everyone

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Typical coffin dodger. I asked to play through a group of "elderly gentlemen" now officially known as old farts, their reply was no, you'll be old one day too son.

I just walked through them and went to the next tee as I couldn't be bothered with the argument.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Unfortunately the game has more than its fair share of numptys, you happend to run across one today.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wonder what he was thinking as he checked when he got home? Hmmm I'm out of date. I'd better change the way I think in future? Nope. neither do I

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
No more typical than the many others who don't have an obvious (cheap) tag.

The original.post may reference and older gent, a part captain and a grandfather - but ultimately isn't representative of any of those groups per se. In fact the minute he stated he was a past captain in such a situation he made his true category very obvious! (And it's not simply 'past captains')

D

Deleted member 16999

It's definitely this type of attitude that does nothing to encourage new players to the game. I thought the OP handled it quite well
If it had been members I’d of probably not remained calm, but I knew they were visitors and didn’t want them complaining.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Golf is full of these but it’s not just the older guys.
What happened was wrong but it’s just arrogance and up there with “ don’t you know who I am”.?
These idiots are everywhere.
He probably hasn’t got a rule book!

kevster84

Head Pro
Visit site
Had this with a group of elderly women who had stopped at the halfway hut for a cup of tee, they had previously been holding us up a little but not enough to truly complain. We politely asked if we could play through as we didn’t want to stop, they refused, when asked why they said they didn’t have to let us through if they didn’t want to!!! I nearly lost it at this point, what made it worse was the guy on the hut backed them up!! I complained at the end and got a free round but people like that are massive problems for golf.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
As an old guy I have to balance up the argument, I asked 3, 30 to 40 year old members why the wouldn't let me play through on a lone practice and they couldn't give me any reason. But I do accept that the oldies are the worst for this

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Had this with a group of elderly women who had stopped at the halfway hut for a cup of tee, they had previously been holding us up a little but not enough to truly complain. We politely asked if we could play through as we didn’t want to stop, they refused, when asked why they said they didn’t have to let us through if they didn’t want to!!! I nearly lost it at this point, what made it worse was the guy on the hut backed them up!! I complained at the end and got a free round but people like that are massive problems for golf.
Thats mad. If they are going to stop for a tea, a hot drink you wouldn't normally sup straight down why shouldn't you play through. You'd be on the green if not clear by the time they are ready. What did they propose? Standing around for 20 minutes and then politely stand behind them and wait for the next nine

D

Deleted member 16999

As an old guy I have to balance up the argument, I asked 3, 30 to 40 year old members why the wouldn't let me play through on a lone practice and they couldn't give me any reason. But I do accept that the oldies are the worst for this
TBH Chris, I genuinely didn’t mean to imply anything by mentioning his age, that was purely setting the scene, it was more the fact he knew the course was empty and he thought he held some sort of power by refusing to let me through.

D

Deleted member 16999

I'm guessing you don't know many stubborn 81yr olds 😁. He is never wrong. I could show him time and time again and he would still say a single golfer has no standing.
They don’t at Seaton Carew GC, they have a local rule quite clearly stating a single player has no standing there.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Unfortunately, we still have a local "Single players have no standing" rule in place at my club and a few players (not neccessarily from the "old fart" category, more of the 'I earn more money than you so shut up' type) that insist on their right to completely block the course by playing in the slowest four ball imaginable and not letting anyone through. It annoys me most when I get to the course in the evening after work, hoping for a quick nine holes, which then turn into 2+ h of standing around on the fairway. But thankfully, we also have more and more members who do let single players through despite the rule.