Jumbo Max Grips

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Am due to change my iron grips soon, and stumbled on a You Tube video about these grips, including an endorsement by DeChambeau.

I regrip during my swing, causing my glove to wear in the lower right palm area, and based on the video, the usual concerns about a larger grip affecting shot direction seemed to be dismissed, or was at least compensated for by having a lighter grip when using larger grips.

I have fairly small hands, well short fingers at least, (medium glove, ideally cadet) but was wondering if anyone has tried thicker grips or used them to overcome regripping during the swing? My stock shot is a slight draw, so am wondering if its worth trying a larger grip, even if I don't go as far as one of these sizes. Any thoughts?

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have a similar issue, moving the hands during the backswing and the pro who I have just started seeping recognised it immediately. He recommended a smaller glove, ML to Med to prevent the club ‘slipping’ as I loosened my grip and also extra tape under the grip to make it more like a midsize. Only done the 7 iron so far, rest will be done at the next lesson but it has made my miss to the left a lot less, almost totally and I am a lot more consistent.
i would recommend changing one club and seeing how you get along

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you think it is a cure for your problem or just masking it.
Eventually you will need to adress the regripping.
I used to regrip just before I started the swing and strengthened my grip.
Spent hours on the practice ground sorting it out.
If you loosen your grip on normal grips you will probably still do it with bigger grips but your grip won’t be as secure to start with as the grip won’t be your optimal size.
Just do one club and try it out going up in stages until your comfortable with it.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The other thing I did to solve the regripping issue was to press the fleshy part of the right hand into my left thumb as I addressed the ball (rh golfer). This made sure I had a firm grip to start with. I found if I just gripped the club harder it lead to all manner of misses ☹️

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
there’s all sorts of “science” about grip size to had ration or shot shape. I just went to my local pro with a during off season and got Him to fit a thin, medium and fat grip etc. before settling on the golf pride align mcc+4. I love the ridge down the back and fatter bottom softens my grip. It’s completely wrong for what the “science” tells me but they work.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I tried one on my 7 iron. Didn't work for me. I went back to my standard grip.
I will explore the thickervstandard grips though. A chap is going to lend me his old clubs with such grips, to try.
But the Jumbos were a failed experiment ?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I tried one on my 7 iron. Didn't work for me. I went back to my standard grip.
I will explore the thickervstandard grips though. A chap is going to lend me his old clubs with such grips, to try.
But the Jumbos were a failed experiment ?
To go from normal to jumbo is a big leap.
It takes time to get used to them ,just like a grip change.

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
Defo just do one club and try it out. I am not a great fan of the club manufacturers approach, where certain hand sizes determine the grip you need. I think it is much more down to personal preference and how it feels/works for you. I have larger grips than I should on my Irons and much prefer them, on the other hand I put a jumbo grip on my putter to try it, and it lost all the feel and balance, that got replaced with a good old thin pistol grip.