Thicker GRIPS?

sandylc524

Club Champion
Visit site
I'm trying to figure out if going thicker grips will work for me.

My wrist to longest finger length is about 19.5 centimeters.

1) I am a slicer/fader of the ball and have a tough time hitting draws (i don't actually even try to hit draws).
2) My swing path is generally out to in and I have a tendency to cross the line at the top (or maybe i am just overswinging).
3) I tend to grip the handle too tightly so I was wondering if having a thicker handle will allow me to loosen my grip and give me a more controlled and less 'handsy' swing.
4) I read that too thick a grip will make it harder to close the club head at impact so this might aggravate my fade.

Any suggestions based on actual experience? Thanks!

sandylc524

Club Champion
Visit site
Thank you Bobmac.

Working on club path definitely.

Considering thickening the grip so that i wont have the tendency to grip the club too tightly. Im just concerned it might lead to other issues (not being able to square the club face etc).

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Thank you Bobmac.

Working on club path definitely.

Considering thickening the grip so that i wont have the tendency to grip the club too tightly. Im just concerned it might lead to other issues (not being able to square the club face etc).

It will make your fade/slice worse

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thicker grip stops you releasing so push ( right handed )
If you can try thinner grip this helps some players release club better.
This is what I was always taught

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
OK - so i should go thinner instead. Won't it make me grip the club harder?
go to ping.com and do their online fitting it will tell you what grip size is for you based on your hand measuments.

If it gets to thin yes you will struggle to keep hold!

youtume may have some tips on this to

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
go to ping.com and do their online fitting it will tell you what grip size is for you based on your hand measuments.

If it gets to thin yes you will struggle to keep hold!

youtume may have some tips on this to

The trouble is, with his out to in swingpath, if he does square the face, he'll hit it straight left all day

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The trouble is, with his out to in swingpath, if he does square the face, he'll hit it straight left all day
Yes he will
but so would anyone I was only answering the grip question.

A lot depends on severity of swing path and face if it gives him a nice fade instead of a slice that's fine.

But sorting the out to in is tough as anyone who has tried to change their swing will know.

But sometimes it's nessesary.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes he will
but so would anyone I was only answering the grip question.

A lot depends on severity of swing path and face if it gives him a nice fade instead of a slice that's fine.

But sorting the out to in is tough as anyone who has tried to change their swing will know.

But sometimes it's nessesary.

I know, see post no.2