Gripsize

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Been reading up on grip size a fair bit recently and there was an article that recommended that a player that wears an XL glove would benefit from a mid-jumbo size grip. Large/Medium glove sizes were in the standard grip range usually.

Now I'm only a medium/large, the glove at this size almost feels short and I have to stretch it down to my wrist but thats the tightest glove on the fingers and palm.

My measurement from wrist crease to middle finger tip is 9.5 inches which seems quite large, i do have large hands but there not 'thick' if you understand me. I guess from being a pencil pusher rather than hard labour.

Would I benefit from midsize or jumbo grips in comparison to my standard grips based on my hand size?

Can anyone recommend the best midsize and jumbo grips?

I think the plan is to change the grip on a couple of clubs and see how it feels maybe even try several different grips on different clubs to learn the feel for what is most comfortable and go from there...

OR

Am I wasting my time and reading too much into things.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
It’s not always that easy. I have short fingers but wide palms. Technically I should use undersize grips. I get the best feel from Standard size grips with 2 layers of tape. This was only worked out by an process of elimination.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of the things to watch out for if you change the grips by quite a margin is the change to swing weight in the clubs.

At my last club fitting I was discussing this with the fitter and considering MCC+4 when he pointed out they would swing weight the club for that grip and if I wanted to go back to a standard grip the club it would change the swing weight.

e.g There is 10 gms difference in weight between a standard Tour Velvet and a jumbo Tour velvet

If you fit grips yourself remember to buy the correct bore for your shaft diameter. A mid size grip on a 0.580 shaft comes out about the same as a standard grip on a 0.600 shaft.

Last edited:

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I only wear a M/L (when I wear one ☺) and some professionals have recommended jumbo grips to avoid the finger nails pushing the palm - as I think I have long fingers.
There are some lighter options out there to negate the weight difference (Winn etc.). Have also found sizing across brands differing. To be honest I have played 3 different sizes and can't really pinpoint a specific advantage with my variable game, will probably end up with mid size.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Golf pride MCC+4 great grip just up your layers until comfortable.

These are what I’m set on, they feel like great grips. Golf Support near me so grip fittings so they can set me up.

One of the things to watch out for if you change the grips by quite a margin is the change to swing weight in the clubs.

Yes definately one to consider but I think it could act as a good counterbalance? I have standard tour velvets at the moment so will be some additional weight to consider!

What's your normal ball flight... L-R, R-L or straight?

Ball flight is right to left, a bit more draw than I desire at times with standard grips.

All this layers of tape stuff is above my head, is additional tape even required with the MCC +4 as it’s supposed to feel like 4 wraps of tape at the bottom? Or is it more adding tape to the upper section to achieve desired results?

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
Personally, I think all the measurement stuff is guff. It's what feels right for you. I put different size grips on my clubs until I found what worked for me. It's simple to put grips on, so buy some grips, tape and solvent and do a bit of experimentation. It's your contact patch with the club so vital it feels good.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
I ended up with MCC +4's on my Driver, 3 Wood and Hybrid with 2 extra wraps of tape.

Multi - compounds on my irons, not entirely sure how many layers of tape as the pro built them up once I was happy with the MCC +4's on my woods to match those in thickness.

I don't know why but I loved the MCC +4 on my woods etc, but I think I'm so used to Multi Compounds on my irons I stuck with those.

Maybe because I've run MC's on irons for as long as I remember and make do with Tour Velvet on my woods.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Personally, I think all the measurement stuff is guff. It's what feels right for you. I put different size grips on my clubs until I found what worked for me. It's simple to put grips on, so buy some grips, tape and solvent and do a bit of experimentation. It's your contact patch with the club so vital it feels good.

Yip,

I have small hands but use midsize grips as it just feels much nicer, comfortable and importantly natural.

Wellout

Visit site
Whatever you decide make sure the person that fits them makes an adjustment for a possible change the thickness of the shaft butt diameter from your woods through to your wedges. Shafts taper differently and unless this is taken into consideration the grips might feel very different in size, despite having the same tape layers.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It will niggle away at you unless you try it. No amount of information/advice given here will remove that 'what if'.

You stated your plan to try out a few sizes on a few clubs - absolutely the way to go