Joining fees creeping back ?

sunshine

Visit site
Indeed they can, and that attitude is why golf clubs have consistently thrived over the past thirty years……..oh wait a minute ??

Plenty of golf clubs have thrived over the last thirty years. Doesn’t look like you’ve ever been near any of them.

Brechin balata

Medal Winner
Visit site
I have paid my joining fee and happily pay my fees every year. Love the course and it’s condition year round. My only moan is the rough but that’s down to me being in it to often????

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have just introduced a waiting list but won't be having joining fees. There are too many other good courses around here.
When we abolished joining fees many years ago there was a lot of resentment amongst those who had joined in the previous few years even though we still had a waiting list at that time.

Brechin balata

Medal Winner
Visit site
Sometimes it’s a no win situation and people will just moan and moan for any reason possible. If you don’t like the course and don’t want to pay to play it then dont. It’s the complaining about it that bores me.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've been on the wrong side of joinings fees, take joining fee at a previous club, joining fee was a years subs so £1250 but payable over 5 years. 3 years in they drop to £500, I ask if they would waive my remaining fee, no chance. I left the year after anyway due to a house move.
Current club, been there 7 years but play limited due a medical condition for the last 3 years, infact last year I was unable to play at all whilst I waited for surgery so I only held social membership.
Earlier this year I asked about renewing playing membership at the next subscription but told they are bringing in a joining fee so I would need to rejoin before that to avoid paying it, I'm unlikely to play before then as I slowly recover.
This has Made me reconsider whether I wish to rejoin anyway so I'm now on the waiting list at anther club.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Anyone complaining about joining fees - don't join then. The club will do fine without you, and clearly the club is not for you if you think they are stuck up and living in the dark ages.

I just hope you never decide to move to Singapore, you'll be in for a shock.
Hong Kong prices are even higher! And Japan membership prices aren't cheap either. Common theme is available land to population ratio.

D

Deleted member 23270

I've been on the wrong side of joinings fees, take joining fee at a previous club, joining fee was a years subs so £1250 but payable over 5 years. 3 years in they drop to £500, I ask if they would waive my remaining fee, no chance. I left the year after anyway due to a house move.
Current club, been there 7 years but play limited due a medical condition for the last 3 years, infact last year I was unable to play at all whilst I waited for surgery so I only held social membership.
Earlier this year I asked about renewing playing membership at the next subscription but told they are bringing in a joining fee so I would need to rejoin before that to avoid paying it, I'm unlikely to play before then as I slowly recover.
This has Made me reconsider whether I wish to rejoin anyway so I'm now on the waiting list at anther club.
As I read this you've had playing membership for 4 years and they want you to pay a JF? As per my previous comment I'm in favour of charging JF but in your case I think they are seriously taking the piss! Is this a private or proprietary club?

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Very few leave the club where Ken and I play, other than those who sadly pass away, we generally only take in around 20 or so a year and with a rumoured 300 or so currently on the waiting list it's looking like around a 15 year wait, we have always had a joining fee as far as I'm aware, it cost me £40 subs and £40 joining fee when I joined in 1982, we have a quality product that people want to play and plans for a new clubhouse, practice range, 9 hole short course etc, I don't see any issue with having a joining fee in our circumstances and it evidently isn't deterring folk from joining the waiting list, I appreciate that other clubs will be different
We are very similar, and seems the case with many good clubs

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As I read this you've had playing membership for 4 years and they want you to pay a JF? As per my previous comment I'm in favour of charging JF but in your case I think they are seriously taking the piss! Is this a private or proprietary club?

Private, I didn't take out playing membership , just had social, they were aware of my medical history.

Brechin balata

Medal Winner
Visit site
I agree joining fees might be outdated but waiting lists? there is nothing that can be done about them you can’t have 2000 people wanting a game on a Saturday morning. Sometimes I think the 2 get mixed up.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It's ultimately another simple consumer decision. If you want to join the club of choice and joining pay the fee and think you'll get value for money then go for it. If not there are other options to allow you to play golf but it may not be where your golfing heart really wants to be. I could join a local P&P that is always in reasonable condition for a fraction of my annual subs (even without the joining fee) but I know deep down there are better courses/options out there