Joining fees creeping back ?

Brechin balata

Medal Winner
Visit site
If you don’t want to pay a joining fee then don’t it’s pretty simple. I find people who moan most about joining fees and yearly subs are the one who disrespect the course the most. Not caring about divots, tees and pitch marks!!!

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A private members club can impose what rules and charges they like, don't like them then don't join.
We can't have everything we want all the time, life isn't like that.

sunshine

Visit site
It must be really annoying if you only intend to live in an area for a few years. A joining fee is a multi year commitment, I think it's £3,000 at my club and I'd only pay it if I intended to be a member for 6+ years.

The reality is that it's a simple case of supply and demand. It makes sense for clubs to introduce a fee if they are almost full. The fees are invested in the course, which improves the product, keeps the members happy and in turn increases the desirability of the club to prospective members.

On the other hand, I would be reluctant to pay a JF for a proprietary club where it is essentially bonus profit for the owner.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I joined my place just after they got rid of the joining fee of £1,000 (unintentional, but fortunate). They reintroduced it last year, as the waiting list was huge. They got fed up with groups of people joining on a deal, then leaving after a year or two, and so are trying to stop short-term membership.
I've thought of joining a couple other courses in the past, both with joining fees, but as I'm not sure how long I may be living in Kent, I'm reluctant to move.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Because I was a member of another club….then I moved house. Now I live closer to the new club, due to the new house being closer to the new club, than the old club. You following ?

Yep….you moved too late….so pay up or stay where you are…..or wait until they drop it again!

Essentially anywhere currently you can join with or without a joining fee is probably not worth joining or available for a reason which makes it not worth joining other than it’s the only place you can!

Swango1980

Visit site
Anyone complaining about joining fees - don't join then. The club will do fine without you, and clearly the club is not for you if you think they are stuck up and living in the dark ages.

I just hope you never decide to move to Singapore, you'll be in for a shock.

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
Anyone complaining about joining fees - don't join then. The club will do fine without you, and clearly the club is not for you if you think they are stuck up and living in the dark ages.

I just hope you never decide to move to Singapore, you'll be in for a shock.

Singapore? That’s random, but funny ?. I can confirm I have no plans at this time.

D

Deleted member 15344

Indeed they can, and that attitude is why golf clubs have consistently thrived over the past thirty years……..oh wait a minute ??

The only clubs that didn’t thrive are the ones that mainly were built cheap on poor land - those private clubs with top quality courses have thrived

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I‘d pay £ 500 for you to start your own thread. Call it a leaving fee. I’m sure people would learn a lot from your pronouncements on green keepers, divots etc. I have.
I wasn't sure I was going to agree with you on any post on this thread, but guess what... I was wrong! ?