Joining a new club

G1z1

Visit site
I really want to join western gailes as my second club mostly for winter links golf but there dead set on you must have two references from two other members. Problem is I don’t know anyone who’s a member.
Do you think it’s worth driving down to talk to them as my enquiry was just over the phone and reason I ask is because when I joined my first club east ren they had the same rule and when I said I was new to golf and didn’t know anyone they just said that’s ok and let me in. I really enjoyed my round at western gailes and it’s the only club I want to join for links golf.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
This doesn't answer your question but I find winter golf much of a muchness no matter where you play and you'll probably be off mats. However have a look at the Troon municipals. We play every year in the a New Year game and the last time I was down (pre COVID) they weren't playing off mats.

Like I say you could really be playing anywhere in winter and it's all the same. I do get that some courses are a cut above but they'll still have winter rules.

G1z1

Visit site
This doesn't answer your question but I find winter golf much of a muchness no matter where you play and you'll probably be off mats. However have a look at the Troon municipals. We play every year in the a New Year game and the last time I was down (pre COVID) they weren't playing off mats.

Like I say you could really be playing anywhere in winter and it's all the same. I do get that some courses are a cut above but they'll still have winter rules.
I have the Troon links membership already and yes they never use matts, nice courses but looking for somewhere a little better

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
I have the Troon links membership already and yes they never use matts, nice courses but looking for somewhere a little better
No probs. The munis serve a purpose. Don't blame you for wanting a wee bit better.
Sorry don't know much about the WG admission policy but I'd just go down and brass-neck it. I think the references thing is just to keep the riff-raff out.
If you go down, say you want to join, and don't come across as a bawbag you'll be fine ?.

D

Deleted member 1147

Some clubs ask that you play with a couple of committee members if you don’t know any current members, and they can then sponsor your joining, if they think you’re suitable.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I've a couple of mates that are members and it used to be the case members were limited to how many people they could put forward for membership. I think they had a bit of a waiting list too. You also have to arrive and leave in jacket and tie if you are a member playing.

G1z1

Visit site
I've a couple of mates that are members and it used to be the case members were limited to how many people they could put forward for membership. I think they had a bit of a waiting list too. You also have to arrive and leave in jacket and tie if you are a member playing.
That sounds a bit dated that rule. Would that still apply if you didn’t go into the clubhouse, say you arrive with your golf gear on and never go inside ?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
That sounds a bit dated that rule. Would that still apply if you didn’t go into the clubhouse, say you arrive with your golf gear on and never go inside ?
Nope it's a member arriving at the course, you are expected to go in and get changed and then play. No exceptions, i believe. I don't think green fee paying visitors are expected to but evey time I've played with a member I've had to do it. It's part of the clubs old fashioned charm.
I'd imagine, if you didn't already know a few members, I doubt you have much chance of getting in.

G1z1

Visit site
I am guessing this would of been the norm way back but nowadays it’s just an inconvenience. Who wants to put on a suit and tie to go for a game of golf. It is some course and definitely my favourite down that way but I just couldn’t be bothered with that.
Should be getting the call from st nics soon been on there waiting list for a while now.
Oh, I don't know. A new course, new things to complain about.
Should of seen me at east ren my comments about the condition just before I left went down a treat lol but even Darren, Craig and Sam the green keepers agreed it’s went right downhill that winter

Last edited:

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Trouble is word will get round that you are a “troublemaker” and you will find that your choice of course will be limited to those that will have you, rather than those that you want to join.

If I really wanted to join a particular club, I’d just accept their rules and get on with it.

Suppose you could ask the pro there if he could take you on as a long term challenge

Meant in a caring way ?

G1z1

Visit site
Trouble is word will get round that you are a “troublemaker” and you will find that your choice of course will be limited to those that will have you, rather than those that you want to join.

If I really wanted to join a particular club, I’d just accept their rules and get on with it.

Suppose you could ask the pro there if he could take you on as a long term challenge

Meant in a caring way ?
I am a big boy I don’t care what people say about me and if something is bothering me I will speak out no matter what the consequences are.
I would love to join western gailes it’s a fantastic course but wearing a suit and tie everyday I want a game of golf just wouldn’t be for me.
I have found two pros who want to work with me, seen them both last week and both have trained people who are currently or else been on the pga tour. Just need to decide what one to go now.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I am a big boy I don’t care what people say about me and if something is bothering me I will speak out no matter what the consequences are.
I would love to join western gailes it’s a fantastic course but wearing a suit and tie everyday I want a game of golf just wouldn’t be for me.
I have found two pros who want to work with me, seen them both last week and both have trained people who are currently or else been on the pga tour. Just need to decide what one to go now.

good luck, hope it works out for you

evemccc

Visit site

I’m pretty sure that WG and many other golf clubs of a similar ilk don’t want their members to be just people who play a lot of golf on the course in exchange for subs money..but rather to get involved in the club and, certainly more often than not, go into the clubhouse and chat to the other members

EDIT: posted before I’d read the whole thread..the point I made is negated somewhat by later posts, inc from the OP

Last edited:

sunshine

Visit site

I suspect that the members are the type of people who wear a jacket and tie every day anyway, they’re just going to the club in their normal attire.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

If they are that sort of club somebody will probably have a word with you if they see you changing your shoes in the car park.

Given the new rules on what you may wear when you are driving a car I would be wary about having golf shoes on in a car.