Joining a new club

G1z1

Visit site
If they are that sort of club somebody will probably have a word with you if they see you changing your shoes in the car park.

Given the new rules on what you may wear when you are driving a car I would be wary about having golf shoes on in a car.
I drove basically everyday except when it’s heavy rain for past 18months with golf shoes on, there basically just trainers the ones I wear. I never change them and the guy who valets my cars can’t believe the mess I get them in the space of a week ?

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
How about asking for references from your existing/ previous Clubs?

Alternatively make an appointment to see The Secretary and explain your predicament and see if he can offer a solution.

Personally it is “their Club’ steeped in tradition and the chances of changing the dress code for you are Nil. They know what type of Club they are are can decide whether to accept a member or otherwise.

Good luck!

G1z1

Visit site
How about asking for references from your existing/ previous Clubs?

Alternatively make an appointment to see The Secretary and explain your predicament and see if he can offer a solution.

Personally it is “their Club’ steeped in tradition and the chances of changing the dress code for you are Nil. They know what type of Club they are are can decide whether to accept a member or otherwise.

Good luck!
I’ve actually already decided that clubs not for me I wouldn’t dream of asking a club to make an exception for me, I think it’s a nice idea having the suit and tie reminds me of the ritz restaurant nice touch but do think it would put a younger generation off if I’m honest. My second favourite clubs down the coast is dundonald but they don’t do memberships now unfortunately so guess I’ll probably just join st nics and that’s a nice course but western gailes and dundonald are just next level in my opinion.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I am guessing this would of been the norm way back but nowadays it’s just an inconvenience. Who wants to put on a suit and tie to go for a game of golf. It is some course and definitely my favourite down that way but I just couldn’t be bothered with that.
Should be getting the call from st nics soon been on there waiting list for a while now.

Should of seen me at east ren my comments about the condition just before I left went down a treat lol but even Darren, Craig and Sam the green keepers agreed it’s went right downhill that winter
I heard about them. Odd that the greenkeepers said that after all the work they did over the winter.....

G1z1

Visit site
I heard about them. Odd that the greenkeepers said that after all the work they did over the winter.....
That’s the thing I don’t think the other greenkeepers understood why Barry left the greens so bad for so long, they admitted to me that the previous head greenkeeper would never of let them get in that state. Think that’s why east ren lost a good few members this year I know a few that left cause of the condition this winter and the morning 3 ball midweek Alister and his two other playing partners are giving it one more year to see if it improves.
It’s bad when your greenkeepers don’t have confidence in the head greenkeeper think that says it all. I even remember peoples reactions on this forum when I posted photos of the greens.

D

Deleted member 23270

I suspect that the members are the type of people who wear a jacket and tie every day anyway, they’re just going to the club in their normal attire.
No they are normal people that just enjoy the old traditions of their club. When I played there I asked the pro about it, he said they had a vote and chose to keep the rule in place.

D

Deleted member 23270

I’ve actually already decided that clubs not for me I wouldn’t dream of asking a club to make an exception for me, I think it’s a nice idea having the suit and tie reminds me of the ritz restaurant nice touch but do think it would put a younger generation off if I’m honest. My second favourite clubs down the coast is dundonald but they don’t do memberships now unfortunately so guess I’ll probably just join st nics and that’s a nice course but western gailes and dundonald are just next level in my opinion.
Why not join Loch Lomond?

Robster59

Tour Rookie
That’s the thing I don’t think the other greenkeepers understood why Barry left the greens so bad for so long, they admitted to me that the previous head greenkeeper would never of let them get in that state. Think that’s why east ren lost a good few members this year I know a few that left cause of the condition this winter and the morning 3 ball midweek Alister and his two other playing partners are giving it one more year to see if it improves.
It’s bad when your greenkeepers don’t have confidence in the head greenkeeper think that says it all. I even remember peoples reactions on this forum when I posted photos of the greens.
What's interesting is I've spoken to a few people about your comments, including some of the people you've mentioned, and their memory of the conversation isn't always exactly the same as yours. But you've moved on, so I'll draw a line under it.

D

Deleted member 23270

Why would I go from looking at a links course for winter golf to a course that’s not links and very very wet in the winter ??
If you went there you wouldn't have any of the problems you've been complaining about. Poor condition, people jumping in front of you etc. Win/win

G1z1

Visit site
What's interesting is I've spoken to a few people about your comments, including some of the people you've mentioned, and their memory of the conversation isn't always exactly the same as yours. But you've moved on, so I'll draw a line under it.
Sure you have would you like fries with that whopper ? lol

the people who I’ve mentioned by name said those things so if you want to be in denial that’s fine, it makes no difference to me.

I remember when I thought the greens were in really bad shape the only person on the whole forum who disagreed at the photos was you lol pretty much says it all really doesn’t it.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
Sure you have would you like fries with that whopper ? lol

the people who I’ve mentioned by name said those things so if you want to be in denial that’s fine, it makes no difference to me.

I remember when I thought the greens were in really bad shape the only person on the whole forum who disagreed at the photos was you lol pretty much says it all really doesn’t it.
As I said at the time. You showed a photo of greens that were being tined and sanded. To be honest I've had enough of listening to your guff, so I'm out. Enjoy your golf your way.

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Should be getting the call from st nics soon been on there waiting list for a while now.
If you are on St Nics waiting list, why not join as an associate member?
Slight restrictions, but should be livable with.
Presumably, you've already satisfied the reference requirement.

G1z1

Visit site
If you are on St Nics waiting list, why not join as an associate member?
Slight restrictions, but should be livable with.
Presumably, you've already satisfied the reference requirement.
When I first went on the waiting list I just filled out the form for a full member, the cost doesn’t bother me and I wouldn’t like to have restrictions. I probably would only play midweek but don’t like the thought of not having the option for a weekend game.

I actually had to google associate member, wasn’t aware of this option and yes I had to get two references for there but luckily it didn't have to be from members.

Would there still be a waiting list regardless of what membership I was after ? I don’t really mind waiting but would like to be in for winter hopefully.

I expect this next recession will hit hard soon so hopefully these waiting lists disappear quickly and clubs will be crying out for members , might even get in western gailes without a 3 piece on

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
When I first went on the waiting list I just filled out the form for a full member, the cost doesn’t bother me and I wouldn’t like to have restrictions. I probably would only play midweek but don’t like the thought of not having the option for a weekend game.

I actually had to google associate member, wasn’t aware of this option and yes I had to get two references for there but luckily it didn't have to be from members.

Would there still be a waiting list regardless of what membership I was after ? I don’t really mind waiting but would like to be in for winter hopefully.

I expect this next recession will hit hard soon so hopefully these waiting lists disappear quickly and clubs will be crying out for members , might even get in western gailes without a 3 piece on
It seems a pretty good interim option to me - and gives you priority on the waiting list!
Sunday after 12:00 is available for associate member play.
Contact the club for other details.