It's Halloween.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
We got one knock on the door at half 6, 7-ish, but we were both upstairs so happily able to ignore it. Then my missus was popping out at 8.30 and got accosted by another group (bad timing for her) - she went back inside and managed to find a pack of jelly sweets someone else had given her. And that was it really, we didn't get any others.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm 38 and would never let my son out trick or treating. It's just disguised begging and far too many "kids" take it too far and cause damage by egging people's houses. Also the fright they cause to the old folk.

Each to their own, but I will never agree with it and will never allow my son to do it.

I can agree with what you wrote, as this applies to when I was a kid and you had to hollow out the inside of a turnip and you knocked on doors, with the line "penny for the lantern", if you were lucky then you got some silver coins, but many opted for a few copper. That is the context you have written was tantamount to begging.

However...

Trick or treat is a different thing, yes, it's the American corporate take on an annual event, but it's not asking for money, kids get sweets, the kids enjoy it, so do the parents for the most part. Only the little scrotes who think egging someone's house is fun are the fly in the ointment, but then they wouldn't be getting dressed out and chances are they would egg someone's house at any time. They'll also be the little sods who throw snowballs at passing cars and buses.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Thats Guising though isn't it.

Only thing we did as kids was Burning The Catholic as you call it. That was a big begging fest for kids.. Penny for the Guy.

yes - guising - as most of not all of us Scots used to do back in the day on Halloween. Harmless and a lot of fun for everyone. Pity it's been adopted outside Scotland in a corrupted form.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It's was monkey nuts, tablet and a toffee apple...and if I got a 1d I was made up...

We used to dress up and try to disguise ourselves so that our neighbours wouldn't recognise us - and there was a wee pretendy game the neighbours played - wondering now who might this be - and we'd do our little piece and they'd try and guess - then the big reveal - much laughter - oh look who it is - we never guessed. Come on in to bob for an apple or to try and get your gnashers round a toffee apple on stick dangling from a string.

And at the end of the evening I would head home with my hat (usually wore some form of hat for gathering the goodies) happy with a great pile of nuts and little stuff. Happy because back in the day we just didn't get bought stuff day-in day-out - there wasn't the spare money. And so getting a load of stuff over one evening felt great. For me Halloween was second behind Christmas day as the most enjoyable day of the year.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
My late mother in law's birthday was 31st Oct.

One year, I bought her a traditional besom broom for her birthday. Fortunately she saw the funny side of it although I was in HID's bad books for quite a while.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
We've taken our two boys out tonight in our neighbourhood. We follow one simple rule and there are no problems - only knock on doors of houses that have pumpkins outside them or other Halloween decorations.
Yep always did same when they were of that age.👍

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Report on the news just now that some pink tablets given to kids in Newcastle last night are being analysed as suspected drugs ..

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Report on the news just now that some pink tablets given to kids in Newcastle last night are being analysed as suspected drugs .

if Imurg had told me this in person, and my response was written on here, it would get me an infraction. Some people are just scum.