Is this a snap or duck hook?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Driver only. Ball starts to the right or on target line, very low and flies dramatically left with about 50% of usual distance at best?

If so then it's another type of shot I've learnt to play :confused:

Gotta love this game !

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I like to have the correct term for all my shots and this one is new to me!! Bloody nasty looking thing I have to say. The push slice I developed last week is way more attractive :mad:

Didn't you have your swing completely fixed the other week with the 'clear your mind grip it and rip it' instruction tip? Has that worn out already? :eek: PM Bob again. He'll run it past you again.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Didn't you have your swing completely fixed the other week with the 'clear your mind grip it and rip it' instruction tip? Has that worn out already? :eek: PM Bob again. He'll run it past you again.

Not sure the sarcasm was necessary - but hey ho...

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Normally when these things crop up in Winter it's just a timing issue... sounds like you're not rotating as you normally would then your arms/wrists are taking over and shutting down the clubface (no loft). Possibly moving your upper body forwards (as in towards the target). Do you normally try to draw the ball? (eg some kind of right to left ballflight?)

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Normally when these things crop up in Winter it's just a timing issue... sounds like you're not rotating as you normally would then your arms/wrists are taking over and shutting down the clubface (no loft). Possibly moving your upper body forwards (as in towards the target). Do you normally try to draw the ball? (eg some kind of right to left ballflight?)

Yes for months had a nice draw and then started to pull it left with draw spin so think I did something to stop that but who knows what. I played with my coach when I was pulling it and he said I was too much from the inside. To be honest I'm not at all sure what I'm doing at the moment as it all feels a bit wrong and can't figure out why. Inside AND closing the club perhaps?

Edit - yesterday's lesson (irons only) he did notice I was towards my toes at address and not sure I corrected that today...

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I would say that you are moving too much laterally and not enough rotation. This is leaving the club behind and your wrists are taking over, closing the face. The quick fix is to make 3 practice swings as if you were going to play a slice then go ahead and play your normal draw shot. It's a balance/timing issue if draw is your usual shape.

(you may also be standing slightly closed to the target with either your alignment and/or your shoulders).

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I would say that you are moving too much laterally and not enough rotation. This is leaving the club behind and your wrists are taking over, closing the face. The quick fix is to make 3 practice swings as if you were going to play a slice then go ahead and play your normal draw shot. It's a balance/timing issue if draw is your usual shape.

(you may also be standing slightly closed to the target with either your alignment and/or your shoulders).

But if you are making 3 practice swings for a slice, are you not going to slice it?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site

The rotation sounds likely (or rather lack of). Pretty sure alignment is ok as I did open slightly to avoid the pull but have returned to square and am tight on that. I had decided tomorrow to go try hit a fade/slice so will have a go. Thanks.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
If you just aim big time left and rehearse a few slices it should work the muscles in the shoulders and hips to loosen them whilst keeping the hands quiet. When you return to hit your draw your shoulders/hips will be loose and your hands won't roll too much. That's the theory. Like I said I think it's a Winter/timing thing. If you start doing it all the time the first thing to check it that your alignment isn't closed to target (including shoulders).