Is this a permissible form of practice during lockdown?

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The local council have a pitch n putt course on the seafront. It closes down for the winter after the October half term holidays. It's not fenced off, and is used regularly by dog walkers etc.

Is there anything to stop me going down there on my own and hitting a bag of balls? It seems like a legitimate form of outdoor exercise to me!

Insert Whitely Bay golf courses are closed when it is too wet to play into Council P&P and see if you agree with your own comments.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My main take would be .it probably shuts for winter as there is less footfall and the council havnt got the funds to maintain it all year round.
So lots of golfers using it for practice is not a great idea .
Divots everywhere, and it will need more work to get it open in spring.
And it’s closed.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
As a non member will it be OK for me practice wedge shots on the fairways of private golf clubs in the Whitely Bay area when they are closed.

Don't see the comparison at all. I'm talking about practicing on a council facility which closes every October and is used every winter by local golfers to practice on. I've never heard of anyone getting into bother in the past with either the council or the police for doing so.

My question is specific to the current lockdown and could equally apply to using the large grassy area which is adjacent to the p&p and open to the public (let's assume it's not prohibited by local bye laws).

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Don't see the comparison at all. I'm talking about practicing on a council facility which closes every October and is used every winter by local golfers to practice on. I've never heard of anyone getting into bother in the past with either the council or the police for doing so.

My question is specific to the current lockdown and could equally apply to using the large grassy area which is adjacent to the p&p and open to the public (let's assume it's not prohibited by local bye laws).

Do the greens, tees, and fairways get treatment. If not then it ceases to be a golf course and becomes just a field.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Simple take from me is if its closed it can't be used. Wedge shots will clearly cause divots and probably divots from striking the shot. For me that damage alone wouldn't be viable as someone needs to repair it and if more than one person decides to hit balls it won't take long to remove a large area of turf and make the green look like a pimple faced teenager. Also there has to be a liability issue and should a stray shot strike a walker, kid or pet then there wouldn't be any insurance cover leaving you wide open for all costs if sued. It's only a week to go so I don't think it would be worth any risk

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Twp of us on a local footie field this morning. The urge was just too much and it's stopped raining and I wanted to test the driver with it's new shaft.

Huge straight drives. Chuffed to bits.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The local council have a pitch n putt course on the seafront. It closes down for the winter after the October half term holidays. It's not fenced off, and is used regularly by dog walkers etc.

Is there anything to stop me going down there on my own and hitting a bag of balls? It seems like a legitimate form of outdoor exercise to me!
This entire concep breaches the 1st tenet of Lockdown....Stay at home! https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-national-restrictions-from-5-november

There are only a certain number of allowable reasons to 'break' that - and practicing golf (in any form) is certainly not one of them!

I can't even believe anyone would even consider breaking lockdown in such a daft way!!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

Twp of us on a local footie field this morning. The urge was just too much and it's stopped raining and I wanted to test the driver with it's new shaft.

So you post complaint after complaint about lack of lockdown and places being packed and then you then go and post about breaking lockdown rules ?‍♂️

oxymoron

Club Champion
Visit site

Do you go out of your way to wind people up ? Can you not see the foolishness of your actions ? Hitting small, hard projectiles in an area not designated for the sport you are so determined to
tarnish with your self gratifying sense of "i am better than you i can do what ever i like " You really do set an example to all the people think they are above everyone else who sticks to the rules .
People like you really wind me up with this attitude .

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do you go out of your way to wind people up ? Can you not see the foolishness of your actions ? Hitting small, hard projectiles in an area not designated for the sport you are so determined to
tarnish with your self gratifying sense of "i am better than you i can do what ever i like " You really do set an example to all the people think they are above everyone else who sticks to the rules .
People like you really wind me up with this attitude .

1. There was no one else there.
2. It's not designated for dog walkers to take their dogs for a sh one T and a slash but they do. Do you condem them? No I'll bet you don't coz their lovely cuddley things eh?
3. Lockdown rules?????? Get lost (stronger though)! If you can work from home then do so. Have you seen the traffic in the morning. No one where my wife works has been told to work from home. So the COMPANY are breaking the rules and loads of other beside!!!! Do you condem them? No you wouldn't!!!!
4. I am in a massive field with no one within 200 yards of me. How is that a danger to anyone???

Get lost (stronger) you complete and utter none oxy. A very apt name.

The whole thing is utterly ridiculous and there are some complete idiots on here who really should get a flamin' life and stop having a go at anything and anyone who doesn't match up to their incredibly galactically stupid views on life.

Mod action taken on this post.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 15344

2. It's not designated for dog walkers to take their dogs for a sh one T and a slash but they do. Do you condem them? No I'll bet you don't coz their lovely cuddley things eh?
3. Lockdown rules?????? Get lost (stronger though)! If you can work from home then do so. Have you seen the traffic in the morning. No one where my wife works has been told to work from home. So the COMPANY are breaking the rules and loads of other beside!!!! Do you condem them? No you wouldn't!!!!
4. I am in a massive field with no one within 200 yards of me. How is that a danger to anyone???

The whole thing is utterly ridiculous and there are some complete idiots on here who really should get a flamin' life and stop having a go at anything and anyone who doesn't match up to their incredibly galactically stupid views on life.

So basically you have ignored the lockdown rules because you have a basic lack of understanding of the current rules

And because someone picks you up on that you throw your teddies all over the place.

When do you finish school ?

oxymoron

Club Champion
Visit site

The whole thing is utterly ridiculous and there are some complete idiots on here who really should get a flamin' life and stop having a go at anything and anyone who doesn't match up to their incredibly galactically stupid views on life.[/QUOTE]

In reply,
1 And ? Could you see the entire field ? Was there warnings for anyone who might walk in to your range.
2 Dog walking is still ok as far as i know , by the way i have no feelings either way for dogs
3 This is not at issue here a totally different subject
4 Anyone could have walked on to the field at any time so unless you had it gated off ,,,,,

Get lost ,,,,,resorting to insults ? Grow up man .

The bold bit , We are trying to get a life but the idiot here is you , we will be longer getting to normality if self centered pr1cks like yourself cannot behave and just wait a few days more .
I just hope you or yours do not have the misfortune to have an incident caused by a fool like yourself because then lets see your pathetic outburst . You really are an ar5e .

Visit site
Are we all getting a little precious here? Crazyface has stated that there was no one around. We all need some relaxation throughout this nonsense.
In the previous Lockdown, one of my colleagues actually went onto a golf course and played a few holes. He was rightly condemned.
On this occasion, Crazyface was not on a golf course, but an empty football field. Seems to me that there are a lot of sanctimonious folk on here.
I am not saying that I wouldn't have done the same, fortunately I have managed to restrict my practice to the garden, but cut the lad some slack for goodness sake.
It is not as though his actions helped spread the disease.
As we say round these parts, " 'ave we got 'owt serious to talk about?"

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

Seriously, you sound like you need to chill out a bit. Can't be healthy being that angry all the time. Especially when you are being angry at people for breaking rules then doing that yourself.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Are we all getting a little precious here? Crazyface has stated that there was no one around. We all need some relaxation throughout this nonsense.
In the previous Lockdown, one of my colleagues actually went onto a golf course and played a few holes. He was rightly condemned.
On this occasion, Crazyface was not on a golf course, but an empty football field. Seems to me that there are a lot of sanctimonious folk on here.
I am not saying that I wouldn't have done the same, fortunately I have managed to restrict my practice to the garden, but cut the lad some slack for goodness sake.

As someone who has to look after a football field. I love nothing more than having to fill and seed areas where people have been taking divots whilst practicing golf.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

Trouble is, everyone thinks their chosen activity is harmless, won't spread the virus, etc. So everyone should be cut some slack. Everyone can just do whatever they want, as long as they believe they are special, and the rules don't apply.