Is this a Marketplace Scam?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Put up a listing this morning, electric trolley, collection only. Got a message from someone in Germany saying they were unable to collect, but they would pay in advance and get their son to collect it. I'm in Newcastle.

Smells a bit fishy to me, take it this is a scam?

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Put up a listing this morning, electric trolley, collection only. Got a message from someone in Germany saying they were unable to collect, but they would pay in advance and get their son to collect it. I'm in Newcastle.

It's one of those ones where it does seem odd and might (or might not) be a scam.

The question I always ask is "why would they not just buy on a local (in this instance a German) market place?" and that would be enough for me to say thanks but no thanks.

Edited to be more specific.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Possibly. Depends on how they would be paying. You need cleared funds, leave for a few days, and them not to have the ability to claim it back.

As they state they would be paying in advance, I would want payment by transfer, not paypal. Even then, ask for 2 clear days from the payment arriving.

Any doubts, walk away.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
As we’re looking to move I’ve been getting rid of a fair bit of stuff, most still in boxes from the last move. I’ve had countless scammers message asking can they pay in advance, and asking for account details. Some have asked could I supply those details so that they could book a courier/insurance.

The cash only on collection line seems to be ignored. “Dinero solo.” Cash only…

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Paypal is ok provided they make the payment as a gift and not a payment for goods/services.

I have sold clubs to Germany in the past without any problems.

Springveldt

Visit site

More than likely unless the "son" hands over cash to you at a designated meeting point. They were probably about to try one of those courier scams.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think if are they using PayPal to pay with the “paying for goods” bit selected, they pay, collect the trolley and then report the item as not sent/received, they get refunded and you’re a trolley down.
You did the right thing blocking them 👍

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I always reply. He's welcome to collect at the pub car park and arrive with cash.

You never hear back after that.

I was selling a wedge last year, it was only £30. Fella said he’d pay with PayPal but collect it, that’s when I read up about the scam. I told him cash only and he never replied.

Grizzly

Visit site
Its a scam.

Even if the funds clear into your account, if they are later proven to be from a hacked account/stolen credit card etc you will still find the payment reversed.