Facebook Marketplace Scam

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Put a sofa on FB Marketplace this week (nice leather electric recliner). No responses until 3am this morning….
“Is this still available?”

Yes it is I replied

"OK I take it but I would like to come tomorrow but I am busy with work at the moment,"

Didn’t need the alarm bells, they’d already woken me up.

I don’t think so says I.

“Let me explain, the courier will bring the cash…….”

No he won’t says I. Chat deleted.

Messages at 3am and the mere mention of FEDEX and cash red flagged it. Have since checked on line and it is a scam….word for word as told here

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/19791386/facebook-marketplace-scam-fedex-ups/amp/

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm selling a bike - collection only. Seems I sold it on Ebay this week to a buyer in Turkey - they're keen. Does my head in. Why?!

D

Deleted member 17920

I had one on Autotrader this week, desperate for me to contact them on there own email but autotrader blank it out thankfully, then they want to pay me £5k more for the car and I transfer the funds back.

I then replied, in order for me to sell my car to you I require copies of driving licence and passport, they haven't replied.

I have reported it to autotrader and they have now blocked that email but they will be back with another identity in seconds.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Had that quite often. Delete the chat and move on...
I’d say report it but even when I reported someone for stealing my mother’s identity on Facebook all I got was it didn’t break community rules.

I’m pleased that state in America has banned it for under 18s as it’s not half made them sit up. The whole thing needs strongly regulating. They’ve gotten away with lax behaviour for too long.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Well known scam, had it a few times with guitars and the odd bit golf equipment. I tend to just report them, but never heard any result of the reports.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I use Facebook Marketplace quite often. “No couriers, cash only.” The number of replies have dropped off quite dramatically.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’m selling a wedge on FB Marketplace, only want £25 for it. Some guy just messaged asking if he could pay via PayPal which seemed odd specially as he said he’d pick the club up. I said I’d prefer cash and its suddenly gone all quiet 🤫
What’s the possible scam there?

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I’m selling a wedge on FB Marketplace, only want £25 for it. Some guy just messaged asking if he could pay via PayPal which seemed odd specially as he said he’d pick the club up. I said I’d prefer cash and its suddenly gone all quiet 🤫
What’s the possible scam there?

they'll take the club then file a refund request as the club will be damaged or falesly advertised

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Recently I was getting regular calls from people saying they were BT and they were detecting viruses on my internet router, they would then ask me to go onto my computer and open google. Telling them to 'go forth and multiply' didn't stop them so I tried the village idiots computer skills for dummies the last time. I kept the guy on the phone for 20 minutes acting like I'd never seen a computer before, five minutes was persuading him there was no letter 'u' on my keyboard. They've not been back since 🙂

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Recently I was getting regular calls from people saying they were BT and they were detecting viruses on my internet router, they would then ask me to go onto my computer and open google. Telling them to 'go forth and multiply' didn't stop them so I tried the village idiots computer skills for dummies the last time. I kept the guy on the phone for 20 minutes acting like I'd never seen a computer before, five minutes was persuading him there was no letter 'u' on my keyboard. They've not been back since 🙂
my personal record with one of these was 45 mins trying to work out where my start button is...

The speed he hung up with when I said "oh. sorry! You said windows didn't you? I'm on a Mac" was quite impressive!

Newtonuti

Visit site
Recieved a text yesterday "Hi mum, I've smashed my phone, and this is my friends number. If you need me, you can get hold of me on 07*********"

Not sure when I became a mum instead of a 35 year old bloke with no kids of my own :oops:

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Recieved a text yesterday "Hi mum, I've smashed my phone, and this is my friends number. If you need me, you can get hold of me on 07*********"

Not sure when I became a mum instead of a 35 year old bloke with no kids of my own :oops:
Maybe people are self identifying on your behalf :ROFLMAO: :eek: