Is that light at the end of the tunnel or a wee guy with a torch....

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
.... telling me my ball is unplayable?

Having recently hit a bit of a slump and after reading down_the_middles post about chucking it I think I have been given the one thing a golfer cannot live without .... HOPE !!!

As mentioned in a previous post I was playing against my cousin last night for the first time in 4-5 years and I new he would be a little rusty so this could be a wee confidence booster for me.

What happened was Cayote (his name is Wylie... gettit) was REALLY rusty and was looking to me to give him some tips on what he was doing wrong (the blind leading the blind I thought) so we set off and at the 3rd hole I told him to think about being at the range and forget the bunkers and flag, just hit the shot he would hit when at the range and at this point I realised I was not doing the same thing. He popped an 8 iron onto the green and was smiling like a dog with two d.. tails.

And so the round went and I found myself highlighting fundamental flaws in his game that were also in mine and I came home satisfied that I have got back to basics and was hitting the ball again.

What is your Ctrl+Alt+Delete for your swing when things are going wrong?

PS

Thanks David.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Re: Is that light at the end of the tunnel or a wee guy with a torch..

Good man, Andy. Glad to see you're coming outta that wee trough.

Similar for me, actually. When I'm in a slump I just remember standing in front of the pro during a lesson, trying to put a good swing on it, forgetting about the result. Usually brings it back enough to boost the confidence for a while.

D' you think you had raised your expectations for the year too much after starting well? That's often the case with me. Unfortunately the game has a habit of putting us all firmly back in our place.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site

I was hitting all the shots leading up to the season and maybe got a bit complacent which you cannot do in this game. I am now like a 12 year old standing at my ball, its all methodical but its working ... for now :D

benny

Head Pro
Visit site

The knockdown shot. 2 clubs extra and a 3/4 swing.
Also stick me arse out on chips and pitches which I forget sometimes - it makes ALL the difference. For driving and full shots its the old tom kite - turn to shake hands with a man on the right for the back swing and then shake hands with a man on the left for the follow through.
I'm not a swing thought man at all but when things go wrong for a few holes I try to remember the old Faldo saying that if your arms and legs feel comfortable over the ball then your set up wrong - there needs to be a little more poise and a feeling of readiness, not tension but not loose as a goose either.

toonarmy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Oh I wish I didn't believe it to be a midget miner! My game has gone completely to pot since my excellent form in the Middle East.

Tiny signs of normality in the last 27 holes, but I haven't been near my handicap since Feb and have been averaging about +10 on it this year.

It still seems to be that when I step up to the ball and feel good and don't think, it goes well. As soon as I try and plan a shot and execute it, then the results are varied to say the least.

I can't help feeling that I need another lesson, but I feel suitably disjointed at the minute to render it a bit pointless as I don't really feel that it's me swinging, if that makes any sense.

I'm seriously considering NOT taking my clubs with me to Phuket in June as I don't want to embarrass myself in fron of the caddies!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

I'm hoping my lesson booked for tomorrow will be cause for optimism and that after months of angst and pain I can finally threaten to play to my handicap at least once in 2008

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site

When ever I start to get in to trouble with the swing I just have to say to my self swing easy.

Because when it does go wrong, its usually because I am trying to knock the skin off the ball and I tense up, arms and back start to ache and I use to much energy.

So I go back to basics. Trust my yardages and 'swing easy'

I used to try and hit every shot as hard as I could, and that was dangerous, now I know what I hit each club, I dont get freaked out at 180 yards thinking jesus I gotta nail this one just to get close.

Few practice swings feeling loose and relaxed and it comes flooding back.

Remember guys/gals, your swing should be grooved, if it aint going so well, your probably trying to asses why, and that can be dangerous because you need a pro to do that really.

The key is, dont think about it, just do it, and muscle memory will take over.

As was once said on this forum, swing thoughts are for the range!

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site

When I get a bit ahead of myself with crappy shots I go right back to the start and check grip, stance and swing. Usually I try a couple of holes to see if it fixes the problems then if it doesnt time to push each area a little more until it works.
Never give up, keep trying right until the final putt as you never know what might happen if you just try.

nomadpaul

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

....I can't help feeling that I need another lesson, but I feel suitably disjointed at the minute to render it a bit pointless as I don't really feel that it's me swinging, if that makes any sense.
Toon , this could be precisely the time to get a lesson :) If it doesn't feel like you swinging at the moment then your Pro is the best person to identify why . If you were confident in your swing then i guess the lesson wouldn't be as important.

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

"there needs to be a little more poise and a feeling of readiness, not tension"
good point. when my set up is right, I feel a sort of eagerness to hit the ball - no preliminary waggling or winding up required.
apart from that, when things go wrong I try to focus on teh shot, not teh outcome. Easier said than done, because in most situations you subconsciously think about where it's going to go, even if yuo think you're not.
A pro once told us when approaching the ball to focus in - ie start with the long view - where you're trying to get to, then bring it down to your immediate surroundings, maybe picking a line to hit over, when you hit, keep the foucs in on your own body movements. don't worry about teh rest.

good luck, Madandra, glad you've turned the corner.

AliB