Is Swing speed increase achievable ?

Waitforme

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was on a launch monitor yesterday trying out new Ping drivers and various shafts.
What didn’t surprise me was that I didn’t hit them any further than my existing 5 year old Cobra driver 😮

My driver swing speed was 82mph, which equated to 210 - 215 yardish drives - my normal distance anytime I’ve measured actual drives on the course under normal conditions.
I‘m wondering if any of you have actually increased your swing speed and by what method ?
Another few mph would be most welcome.

I’d like to avoid buying snake oil but if there are genuine methods / proven aids then I’m all ears 👍

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
yes it is achievable provided you have the body to do so.

Simplest method for me was a longer/wider swing, provided I kept in control.

Learning when to apply the power is one of the keys ,no point in trying to swing the club as hard as you can from the the top of the back swing if you have slowed down by the time you hit the ball. Acceleration just before hitting the ball is where a lot of power comes from.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Its about correct sequence of muscles over big muscles, you might increase your swing speed but lose control. A great swing will provide both. No point bulking up or adding mph if you’re not hitting it out of the middle with a reasonably straight impact path imo.

Golf is hard, getting better isn’t easy. I guess it’s what you want out of the game and what you’re willing to put in to get that is the question, training aids alone wont get you there I’m afraid! But you’re among friends here, many at different points in their journeys and will be able to advise you accordingly 👍🏻

Most of all, golf should be fun. If you gain 10mph and lose the love what’s the point? If the process and end goal make you happy, there’s every point

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I think that before you try to ramp up the speed that you check whether you are hitting out of the sweetspot as that will have a greater effect on the distance.

Siolag

Visit site
The pro at my club does this as a winter programme, it’s something I am thinking about for next year but at the moment I don’t have anywhere near the required control to be able to gain from it.

Visit site
I manage to borrow the speed sticks, took the specs down, and found out a couple of extra details and made my own for half the cost. they do work and gain speed just through the basic protocol workout.
I’m going to use it this winter and make a concerted effort to try and up my speed.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
it depends. are you swing at that speed with good technique? or do you hit it that speed with poor technique?
my ss was 104mph with a driver and recently got it to 109mph just by improving my sequence. no gym work was required

D

Deleted member 21258

from memory I did it 3/4 years ago, I had picked up about 5mph from being not so fat and fitter, no gym work, started around mid 85s.

I also did speed training(an old shaft & normal driver, not speed sticks), just swinging as fast as I could, picked up almost another 10mph to just over 100mph. I am not naturally fast, so a slow sprinter etc

Not lost any of the speed since, and off centre strikes go as far/further than my best hits before. Similar strikes go 20-30 yards further and brings 500 yards par 5 into range in two in summer.

Great fun to do and definitely worth doing.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Surely trying to swing more efficiently and hitting the sweetspot more often would yield instant results. I don't mean that to sound flippant but if you can hone the swing to be as efficient with as big a coil and powerful swing from there, then surely it'll yield extra distance

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
That is my plan over the winter but not so much for speed more to last the distance physically and mentally near the end of my rounds.
Wolf's far more qualified than I am and I would seek his advice. But I've really noticed a massive difference in my speed after doing incorporating explosive movements into my gym work - Snatches, Cleans, Box Jumps, Medicine ball slams and battle ropes. Just remember to properly eat the right food or all that gym work is for nothing.

User20204

Visit site
Wolf's far more qualified than I am and I would seek his advice. But I've really noticed a massive difference in my speed after doing incorporating explosive movements into my gym work - Snatches, Cleans, Box Jumps, Medicine ball slams and battle ropes. Just remember to properly eat the right food or all that gym work is for nothing.

I'm aware of diet and mines has never been the best but I'm generally looking to just get fitter and stronger as I am nearer 60 than I am 50. I'm not going to be doing snatches/cleans at my age but have considered box jumps, I keep looking at them when I'm there. I believe at my age just keeping/getting fit will have a good advantage to my golf and getting stronger can only assist also.

I'm also nursing a rotator cuff injury which is also one of the reason I'm trying to strengthen myself but it has to be done with my age and injury in mind.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Bulking up and trying to muscle the swing with your arms and hands won't work, it has the opposite effect. Relaxed wrists and arms create more speed. You also need to use a good kinetic sequence that works your body from the ground up. The good news is your brain is already very good at creating this sequence naturally. If you carried out any other throwing task your body would do it correctly without conscious thought. In golf we get ourselves confused by overthinking how the legs, hips, torso, shoulders, arms, hands should move and it confuses the task of hitting the ball. Loosen up, think of the golf club as a long hammer that you want to drive a nail through the ball and into the ground with all clubs except the driver where the nail will be level. Forget about the golf swing completely and focus on the task. Try it, your brain is the best coach you will ever need.

Last edited:

User20204

Visit site
This topic is a bit like going on youtube looking for answers.

Everyone has an answer and often they are different, you have to be careful who you believe and who you don't cause on the internet, everyone is an expert :rolleyes:

Birdie2

Club Champion
Visit site
Strike has the biggest relationship to distance in my opinion. Learn to hit the middle of the face and then build it up from there. A powerful swing is built from the big muscles, not from a wristy flippy swing.