Is 'spin' desirable?

T

thecraw

I dont generate much spin anyway. When I was getting fitted at Mizuno the guy was surprised at how little backspin I generated. I was advised to use as soft a ball as possible to maximize my distance.

I can stop full shots etc, however I generally use the pitch and run approach more often when around the greens. People get hung up about spinning the ball and I remember quite clearly as a junior having "spin" competitions out of the bunkers at 2 and 18! The 2 ball trick out of bunkers as well!!!!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I just feel the industry is selling us this spin thing, where every new wedge makes the rest obsolete because it offers more, anf every new ball offers the same holy grail, more spin, softer feel, ?more distance off the driver (with less spin), etc. All the reviews (balls and clubs) quote spin numbers, apparently the higher the better.

What happens when the R and A change their mind on square grooves. Will all our shiny new irons and wedges be banned? (happened before, Ping eye2s) If you rebuild your game based soley on spin, what happens then?

I recently had a choice between vokey wedges and vokey spin milled. Automatically I ruled out the standard vokey, because of course, I wanted more spin. We are conditioned to want this.

stevelockie

Head Pro
Visit site
I agree with you Murph. I have watched the players like Ernie Els hit a perfectly good approach shots very close to the pin, only to see them whizz back about 20 feet away. This happens on many occasions.

I believe that backspin is part-and-parcel of good ball stiking, and is something that top golfers cannot avoid. I exclude Tiger from this comment since he is able to put spin on, or take it off at will, and that is one of the reasons why he's the best.

Tiger's balls are higher spin than the "standard" tour balls, such is his control over his shots.
There were potential problems with people partnering him for the Presidents Cup foursomes because his balls were significantly different.

Thats nonsense, all balls have to conform with the rules laid down by R+A and UPPGA. Nike cant make balls differnt for Tiger.

It's not nonsense, obviously his ball's are not illegal. He merely favours a high spin ball compared to the balls the majority of the pro's tend to favour. Us mortals would not be able to discern the difference but the pro's can.

Changing balls is a much bigger deal for these guys than changing clubs. I remember someone talking about Ernie (think it was his manager) when he changed to Callaway. He said the quality of clubs is pretty much the same from one manufacturer to another. The biggest challenge is getting used to a new ball.

T

thecraw

It is nonsense as Nike cant manufacture a ball differntly to all others just to suit Tiger. They can alter the compression of the ball from 90 to 100 or vice versa but they cant and wont alter the genetic make up of the ball just for Tiger as it would be illegal and non-conforming.

That said we have also got the choice of compression.

I think thats where you are getting confused as some Pros play different compression balls. Remember the famous Seve/Olle match in the Ryder Cup where Seve bold as brass accused the Yanks of cheating for changing the compression of their ball.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
TBH as a beginner to the game i never really think about spin. I use callaway big bertha's and sometimes pro v's not because i want more spin but because i feel i strike the ball better and they are more forgiving on mis-hits. I concentrate more on the trajectory of the ball rather than how much spin i will get, Not get, whichever. plus, in this weather, everytime i hit a green the ball just plugs anyway and only pops out a few inches. maybe in the summer i will see how i spin the ball.

As for the 'debate' i just use what i find works best for me, if i have to pay £3 a ball i dont mind but i find distance balls (normally cheap pinnacle) are too hard to hit consistantly, thats why i use a softer ball.

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
What does it matter whether you get the ball to the right place using backspin, or using some run. As long as it finished where you want it to, it doesn't matter how you do it.

The old saying is still true, 'it's not how, but how many.'

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Funnily enough, today on the course while waiting to tee off on the 18th we watched a 3 ball coming in to an adjoining green. All were scratch or better players and 2 of them I vaguely knew. The 3rd's shot pitched just past the hole and spun back about 20 feet but from where he was he couldn't see what happened. My partner knew this player as a club pro from his previous club so went over for a quick chat.

He was not at all happy with his wedges which were new as he was getting far too much backspin with them - almost an uncontrollable amount. His main beef was that it's ok to get the spin but what do you when you are attacking a pin at the back of the green and have little option but to use a wedge.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Open the face of a 9 iron and use the loft and less power :D
Ive been practicing this on and off the course when I could, it makes a big difference and more times than not actually gets you up to the hole more often than a heavy or slight mis-hit wedge.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
DHM, I am only talking a few degrees, take the usualy stance, slightly open and go for it.

As for the Tom Hanks, its not far off a good shot but only as bad as one bad one...

Up_Point_1

Head Pro
Visit site
Cheers for that Brendy, i'll give it a bash at the weekend.

I may however (for safety sake) ensure may playing partners are stood to my left, just in case ;)

DHM.

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
You're right Brendy. There are a variety of other shots that are available to good players, such as running chips, flop shots etc. The Pro in question says he had little option but to use has wedge, but maybe he could have taken the backspin off by picking the ball off the ground, instead of hitting into it with his normal downward ball strike.

Craigy_Mac

Medal Winner
Visit site
Changing balls is a much bigger deal for these guys than changing clubs. I remember someone talking about Ernie (think it was his manager) when he changed to Callaway. He said the quality of clubs is pretty much the same from one manufacturer to another. The biggest challenge is getting used to a new ball.

Im sure the extra 1 million signing on fee helped hime get used to the ball!
Changing balls is tough but you cant say changing clubs is less of a big deal. some players take a whole year just to get used to new irons and feel 100% confident with them.