Is Proper Nutrition Important To You

• Thread starter Deleted member 21445
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21445

Hi
I'm after a bit of feedback.
My business is a cycling distributor and we distribute one of the biggest nutrition brands in the world.
It is the official nutrition supplier to the Tour De France for example.
Ive approached a few pro shops and had a very positive response.

So you go in the Pro Shop to sign in for the competition, what food do you buy for the round, if any ?

If there was a proper specific nutition based energy product on offer that will help keep your energy throughout a round would you buy it?

Energy Bar £1.49
Energy Gel Sweets £1.99 (would last 3 rounds)
Energy Hydro Gels £1.69

In cycling keeping your energy high for you to maximize performance is essential but I think it applys to all sports to help perform to your best.

Thoughts??

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I never buy food at the club, if i want food for the round i take it with me

I guess the question for you is why is an energy bar, energy gel sweets or hydro gels the proper specific nutrition for golf (I can see moreso why they might be for cycling)

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’d buy an energy bar & a drink. I usually play early on a sat, so either I stock up on energy bars the day before or have a pro shop snickers for breakfast !! :eek:

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
This sounds a bit like someone somewhere is trying to create a market where there really is no need. Golfers do not need 'energy' bars or any other sugary concoction marketed as such. Save your money and just take some fruit with you, Mother Nature's specific nutrition based energy product.

Don't let anyone spin their energy bar guff into golf!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
A Kit Kat Chunky is my snack of choice, possibly with a banana thrown in if I'm feeling virtuous. I wouldn't pay double for an energy bar, I don't believe the marketing.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I think the most anyone needs during a round of golf is a banana or a choccy bar - if that!
If you have a reasonable breakfast or lunch before you play, you really shouldn't need anything bar a drink for the next 3-4+ hours....

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Unless your moving at high speed for 4-5+ hrs you really just need to eat a healthy meal prior to playing and then have a snack mid round, nuts, banana etc nothing heavy.

I'm a keen cyclist for years and gels are great and convient for cycling pockets load up 4-5 of them with no real BULK but we have a massive golf bag so space isn't important. good old sandwich if your going past lunch is fine.

£1 + a gel not a chance, a box near sell by date will be fine for years :)

pieface

Medal Winner
Visit site
Can't see the difference it would make myself, I usually have a mid round kit kat. Maybe that's why I can't shoot sub 100 🤔

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
The best golf snack for me is a banana and maybe a handful of nuts. Gets me through a round just fine. Most "energy bars" are just sugar bombs and in the long run do more to kill you than to sustain you.

On the other hand, if you really are sugar addicted and need the stuff, then eating it during a round of golf is probably way healthier than having it at any other time, because you will just cleanly burn off the energy and not store it as liver fat (which is what happens with most of the sugar you eat).

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
The best golf snack for me is a banana and maybe a handful of nuts. Gets me through a round just fine. Most "energy bars" are just sugar bombs and in the long run do more to kill you than to sustain you.

On the other hand, if you really are sugar addicted and need the stuff, then eating it during a round of golf is probably way healthier than having it at any other time, because you will just cleanly burn off the energy and not store it as liver fat (which is what happens with most of the sugar you eat).

Golly that's a cheerful post!!! Me sitting here in the after glow of a yummy sausage buttie and very strong coffee waiting for my body to remove the 6 pints of booze from last night so I can go and get the car.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I take my food with me
It is well balanced
Orange juice carton 20p
Apple 35p
Flavoured water probably about 5p
Energy drink Milk based mixed multi mineral and vitamins with milk made at home about 70p
Muesli bar 20p

So would I buy high priced sweeties from the pro shop - no. Although I sometimes boost my sugar levels pre round with a nice cup of hot chocolate from them if I have had a long wait on the tee.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
If its an early round, a full English will do for me. If its a late round, a pint of lager. Then I'll take a couple of fruit drinks out with me.

I agree that proper nutrition is essential for sports but is golf really a sport, and if it is it sure as hell isn't a high intensity, energy sapping sport.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site

Yes your spot on.
I always remember in the 1980s I think it was about 300 people died of Energy bar Sugar bomb sickness:rofl:

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I take a couple of frusli bars and a couple of still lukazade sport bottles. I stock up when both these items are on offer, usually half price. Frusli bars pack of six for £1; lukazade pack of 4 £2. (Offer prices quoted)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Does fitness impact the result of a round....yes.

Does eating healthily make a difference - probably more a case of how eating the wrong thing in the wrong quantity at the wrong time will work against you than contributing anything really positive. Most wouldn't be eating anything at all during a 3 - 4 hour period of mild exercise so why do it during a round of golf?

Liquids appropriate to the conditions and your needs are the best starting point.

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I never buy food at the club, if i want food for the round i take it with me
Usually a bottle of water, a banana and snack bar brought in the weekly Tesco shop. I'm into my fitness, the gym & running and even in those sports I do not feel the need to buy specific energy drinks or food, I find a well balanced diet and eating the right foods at the right time is sufficent enough. Im my own experience when I ran my first marathon I did use energy gels, drinks, bars, shakes you name it. I didn't on my 2nd & 3rd ones and saw no reduction in performance or energy levels etc through the training or run itself.
I think selling these type of products into golfer is going to be tough.
There are some Golf Energy bars in shops already, I've no idea of the ingredients or claims but i see it as more of a gimmick if im honest.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Couple of bananas and some raisins along with a bottle or two of water depending on temperature. Don't need anything else. I've tried those energy bars in pro shops and seen no impact on performance