Is Proper Nutrition Important To You

• Thread starter Deleted member 21445
  • Start date

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Nutrition is clearly important, especially if you want optimum performance, but I think there are 2 issues here:

a) Most golfers are not that bothered about it.
b) You cannot just rebrand cycling nutrition and aim it at the golf market.

Cycling is high intensity aerobic, with some bouts into the anaerobic threshold. Golf is low intensity aerobic. Given the completely different energy demands, the nutrition would be completely different too, something low GI for golf, whereas a cyclist might need an immediate energy burst to avoid going hypoglycemic, so would need a high GI product.

Given the above, I'm not convinced there is a big market for this at present, and if there is, it would need a different product.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Nutrition is paramount to me, and I have to reach 10.2 on the bleep test for work once every year so keeping fit is very important and what you eat is massive.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I left a putt 6 inches short on Saturday, would an energy bar have given me the extra oomph required to get it to the hole? :mmm:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Nutrition is clearly important, especially if you want optimum performance, but I think there are 2 issues here:

Cycling is high intensity aerobic, with some bouts into the anaerobic threshold. Golf is low intensity aerobic. Given the completely different energy demands, the nutrition would be completely different too, something low GI for golf, whereas a cyclist might need an immediate energy burst to avoid going hypoglycemic, so would need a high GI product.

Given the above, I'm not convinced there is a big market for this at present, and if there is, it would need a different product.

This - at least to me!

Plenty of difference between the 2 pastimes! Nothing wrong, at least in current temperatures, with a 'Full English' before and maybe even a Bacon Sarnie halfway round! And a couple (or several if not driving) of pints with my Arabiata or Sausage & Mash after the round, to add to the calorie count!

Personally, a Mega-Melt Sub/Coffee pre round and some (Oatmeal and Raisin) cookies during is my favoured style!

To me, 'Energy' bars are merely an excuse for escalating the price out of all proportion to their 'value'!

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Couple of bananas and some raisins along with a bottle or two of water depending on temperature. Don't need anything else. I've tried those energy bars in pro shops and seen no impact on performance

What was your measure for this (I'm pretty sure you didn't take one believing you'd shoot below handicap) So just wondering what kind of impact you thought might happen

For OP, nutrition matters at elite level but not for grass roots players, as mentioned, for many its not even a sport its a pastime/hobby/bit of exercise
Even for amateurs who take it more seriously what they eat/drink away from golf will have more effect on their game and ability than anything eaten during golf

D

Deleted member 21445

Thanks for all the feedback, the useful and the humorous.

Some good comments above Dibby.

I agree with point a)
Point b) PowerBar is a sports nutrition brand and not cycling specific.

It looks like I have got 2 Countertop Units put into 2 clubs from April as a trial to see how it goes with just the energy bars and the gel shot sweets.
Royal Birkdale and Southport And Ainsdale.
I know the Pro's well and they liked the idea of offering something different to their members than the generic chocolate bars.

I suppose the proof will be in the pudding. #Sales

Will post how it went after the months trial period.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for all the feedback, the useful and the humorous.

Some good comments above Dibby.

I agree with point a)
Point b) PowerBar is a sports nutrition brand and not cycling specific.

It looks like I have got 2 Countertop Units put into 2 clubs from April as a trial to see how it goes with just the energy bars and the gel shot sweets.
Royal Birkdale and Southport And Ainsdale.
I know the Pro's well and they liked the idea of offering something different to their members than the generic chocolate bars.

I suppose the proof will be in the pudding. #Sales

Will post how it went after the months trial period.

Hope it goes well.

My thought is that bars will do better than gels for golfers, based on both need, taste and texture.

Will be interesting to see if this reflects what actually happens.

How do you account for novelty factor versus real interest - in that when there is something new, people may try it just because it is new, even if they won't have a long-term interest?

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think a lot of it will depend on your own personal fitness level, if you start to fade toward the end of a round and you know you get tired regularly, then eating something mid round will help, be it an energy bar, crisps, can of lager, fruit or whatever. The weather will have an influence as well, but then it's more water or liquid you would need rather than something solid.