Is practicing on your course allowed?

Fabia999

Visit site
Here's something I'm confused about... (Open Q to all)

If a single playing two balls is practicing, isn't a single playing one ball also practicing :unsure:

Technically yes, because you aren't putting the score in but one ball is minimum required to play golf.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Not allowed at mine, but plenty do it none the less. Talking to some of the greenstaff yesterday who we doing divot fill mentioned the amount of multiple divots in the same place where people had hit multiple shots into greens from the fairway.
Absolute pillocks the folks who do that, total no-no.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
When by myself and nobody behind me I’ll sometime play two balls, matchplay one against the other. Or another solo practice suggestion for creating positive mindset is to play a two ball Texas scramble. For mindset, practice on the range does little for me. I rather need the pressure associated with having to play specific shots on the course.

D

Deleted member 1147

Here's something I'm confused about... (Open Q to all)

If a single playing two balls is practicing, isn't a single playing one ball also practicing :unsure:

They are merely playing a round of golf. Although depending on how pedantic you want to be, you could call it a practice round.
Playing multiple balls, and/or several shots from the same spot, is what I would define as practice on the course.

D

Deleted member 29109

When by myself and nobody behind me I’ll sometime play two balls, matchplay one against the other. Or another solo practice suggestion for creating positive mindset is to play a two ball Texas scramble. For mindset, practice on the range does little for me. I rather need the pressure associated with having to play specific shots on the course.

I play quite a bit on my own. A 2 ball scramble is a good format to see how low you can go on your own.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Playing two balls is allowed but hitting multiple balls is not. A personal view is that we have enough unrepaired pitch marks as it is. We don't need some arze creating more by practicing their chipping on the greens. That's what the practice chipping green is for (and for which the practice putting green is not...)