Is it cheating?

Mr Fastidious

Hacker
Visit site
So 4 months ago I lost my job, financially it's a problem but golfing wise it's been great!

Having had the best summer for 40 years and being a fully paid up member of a golf club I have been playing golf on average 3 times a week.

I am a 20 handicapper, I've always been better then that but just couldn't win enough comp's to get my handicap down but now playing more I am shooting much better scores.

I'm in the final round of my club's double match which is a boarded competition, so I haven't been entering the monthly competitions as I don't want to get cut before I play it.

I'm shooting low to mid 80's now so much better than a 20 handicapper, this weekend was my best game so far shooting 11 over, and I still made silly mistakes, it should have been a lot lower.

Some of my golfing buddies say i'm cheating but others agree that I don't have to enter monthly comp's

Thoughts please?

D

Deleted member 16999

How many qualifiers have you played this year? If more than 3 you’re not cheating imo, but at the least, you’re guilty of handicap protection.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Technically you are not cheating. That is all I will say on the subject.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Cheating for sure, although will give you some benefit of the doubt that it is more lack of knowledge of the admittedly obscure handicapping rules than out and out deviousness.
It isnt a question of how many qualifiers you have played either.
As you say, you are deliberately manipulating your handicap (or the odds of it changing). And that is manipulating your matchplay competitiveness.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Unquestionably handicap protecting IMO and you'll get a reputation for it, never understood the mentality in it myself but then that is possibly my competitiveness wanting to be as low as possible so there may be merit in it, I just haven't.

D

Deleted member 15344

If you are not playing any qualifiers for fear of being cut to help you win a KO then you are manipulating your HC which could result in it being suspended - it’s a form of cheating

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
I got a friend who is like this he’s off 24 and I’ve seen him match me shot for shot he’s easliy boarder line single figures but he won’t put the cards in to protect his handicap for me that’s what’s it’s about getting your handicap down and improving up to the individual though,if this was a comp in my local you’d get hammered if you won and known as a bandit.

Last edited:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
As LP and Rod have said, its cheating. Once upon a time it used to be called "managing your handicap" in the rule book. Not sure if its still listed. Irrespective of that, some of the members at your club are, quite rightly, calling you a cheat. Do you really want that label?

Mr Fastidious

Hacker
Visit site
I've entered and won a Stableford and a Medal comp this year, played in about 10 comps but recently I haven't entered or handed my card in!

Mark1751

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Manipulation of handicap is cheating in my view. Any competition win would be tarnished and I couldn’t live with myself knowing that I cheated.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Play your best and see how it pans out. You could get another job soon and play less but be saddled with the revised Hc.

In the real world it's hardly a hanging offense- except for the self righteous keyboard braves.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd say that becuase you've said your not entering becuase you don't want to get cut so you get the extra shots for the match play then yes it is cheating. Your purposely not giving the handicap system the chance to do its job.

Personally I'd rather win based on my actual play instead of what would be seen as a good day for a high handicap.

Ndw7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So 4 months ago I lost my job, financially it's a problem but golfing wise it's been great!

Having had the best summer for 40 years and being a fully paid up member of a golf club I have been playing golf on average 3 times a week.

I am a 20 handicapper, I've always been better then that but just couldn't win enough comp's to get my handicap down but now playing more I am shooting much better scores.

I'm in the final round of my club's double match which is a boarded competition, so I haven't been entering the monthly competitions as I don't want to get cut before I play it.

I'm shooting low to mid 80's now so much better than a 20 handicapper, this weekend was my best game so far shooting 11 over, and I still made silly mistakes, it should have been a lot lower.

Some of my golfing buddies say i'm cheating but others agree that I don't have to enter monthly comp's

Thoughts please?

Personally I think what you’re doing is completely wrong and totally against everything that golf should be. Your goal should be to become a better player, and to do that you need to enter competitions to try and get your handicap down. I have never even considered not entering competitions just in case I get a cut. Even when I was in 2 board comp finals, and secondly knowing a cut would see me out of the team golf fold. Surely that’s what it’s all about? If you’re shooting in the 80s regularly, then what’s the problem with you getting cut before your match.

If you care that much about winning a board competition, that you’d rather win it by protecting you’re handicap and receiving shots against an opponent that you don’t deserve, instead of beating him fair and square with talent and ability, then that says it all 👍🏻

Last edited:

Ndw7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've entered and won a Stableford and a Medal comp this year, played in about 10 comps but recently I haven't entered or handed my card in!

So because you’ve won two events this year, you’ve reached your quota and can’t possibly win any more in case you get a cut and can’t compete as well you think you may be able to off a false handicap? I’ve read enough. 100% cheating. Hope you get shafted 10&8

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cant tell u if its cheating or not . It surely goes against everything I play golf for ..
to me the main reason to join a club is to compete to be the best u can be and to get as low as u can
i had a very poor start to year handicap rose from 8.2 to 9.1 I contacted handicap sec and asked him not to consider me for an increase as I had been playing all scratch cups in poor conditions &did hope to play back down . In fairness he obliged I'm sitting on 6.9 at min and hope to go lower

to me this is what competitive golf should be .. Not sure if it's any consolation tou but there are many that would and do do what u do

fact ur asking means deep down you know the answer

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So because you’ve won two events this year, you’ve reached your quota and can’t possibly win any more in case you get a cut and can’t compete as well you think you may be able to off a false handicap? I’ve read enough. 100% cheating. Hope you get shafted 10&8

Perfectly summed up. Surely the OP is on a wind up, no self respecting handicap protecting cheating barsteward would admit to what they were doing on an open forum!