Is it cheating?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I've entered and won a Stableford and a Medal comp this year, played in about 10 comps but recently I haven't entered or handed my card in!

Not sure how the system works now but if you haven't handed your card in because it might lead to a cut, have you received a 0.1 increase?

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Deep down you'll get no pride out of winning knowing you protected your handicap.

I'd rather have my handicap reflect my playing ability and conduct myself in a sportsmanlike manor, means much more than pro shop credit and name on a board.

I've been in the final to a pair of blokes who protected their handicaps.

I was off 4 my mate was off 2, we played our hearts out some brilliant shots and we agreed we couldn't have played much better. We accepted our defeat but not long after heard many stories and complaints of their actions from other competitors who played against them. Turns out they had been well and truly protecting their handicaps, moreso one of the pair.

Nobody has any respect for that, and you don't win on your own merit you win by being unsportsmanlike.

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This feels just like the golf Facebook groups. Someone posting something controversial/stupid/false just to get a bite and an argument going.
I really hope this is the case here. If there are people out there acting in this way then Its a downward spiral for us all :(

MartynB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not a member of a club, don’t have a handicap or enter competitions but I know for me the most important thing would be to get to the lowest possible handicap rather than the short lived artificial glory of winning some comp. I know there can be some handsome prizes but still, it’s a cliche but in my view you are only cheating yourself.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Would be loathed to call anyone a cheat but in my opinion at best the OP's approach is short sighted. The idea of the handicap system is to represent your ability at the current moment courtesy of cuts and 0.1 increases and by by-passing competitions to protect it for a final hasn't allowed it to do that. Some have called it handicap manipulation, and it reminds me of some well known faces on things like the TT and other similar events that are known to be off a far higher mark than their ability solely to clear up the prizes.

The issue is, once this breaks in the club and members get a whiff of "protection" as they'll see it, and they will see it as black and white, then a reputation is formed which won't go away and there will be mutterings every time the OP does or doesn't enter a competition, Hopefully he'll get a new job soon, but in the interim I'd be using the remaining time to enter as many events as possible, get cut if the form continues and let the final take care of itself. Given the numbers being quoted, he'll still get plenty of shots and so should still be more than competitive in the final

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
This feels just like the golf Facebook groups. Someone posting something controversial/stupid/false just to get a bite and an argument going.
I really hope this is the case here. If there are people out there acting in this way then Its a downward spiral for us all :(
oh it's out there , I had a heated "discussion"with guy from GUI over it .. Clubs over here winning comps with these non genuine players representing them

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Isn't there a pile of comps you can play during the week? what's this monthly comp carry on?

Straight up cheating is what you are doing. Surely common sense would tell you this !

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yes it’s cheating. I can hit the ball quite well which in no way reflects my 20.1 handicap, but I don’t play a good game - lots of stupid mistakes etc and find it hard to break 90. But for the OP to know he can play better golf than his handicap so he can win a comp is bang out of order! You will be labelled a bandit a cheat etc and yes I hope u get stuffed in the board comp!

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
There is a major difference between a rapidly improving golfer, ( you have to do well in some comps to get cut) and someone who is deliberately manipulating what comps they enter in order to present an artificially high handicap in a board comp.

If I were you, I'd do a couple of quick supplementary cards before the board comp

Golf relies on integrity, yours needs patching up a tad,

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
Yes, in my opinion - I love golf for two reasons, firstly because every time I play it’s a challenge to shoot my best score, and hopefully get my handicap down, and secondly because I can play with people of different abilities, and still have a competitive match - you are going against both of these, on purpose, it’s against the spirit of the game.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Dude! This is poor form and I would consider this cheating.

But while you want to keep the handicap artificially high you should get on the trilby tour! You would be perfect for it!

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I won our Singles final a few years back against a guy who was notorious for this kind of behaviour. I was glad I beat him and so was the rest of the club.
Personally I hope the poster of this thread gets his arse kicked in the final and that his partner finds someone with better ethics to play with in the future.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Not getting the answers you probably wanted but i suspect you knew that. Also get a feeling it dont sit to good with you either. Think you have the answer to your questions. If i had a chance of lowering me hcap or winning a board comp whilst knowing i could be half a dozen shots better. It wouldnt sit right with me or me playing partners. who is to say that if you go into the finals off your right hcap you wont win anyway. 👍
Play a few Q comps.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
OP - the fact that you asked the question leads me to believe you were at least unsure about how this behaviour is viewed, by now you should have your answer! At the very least put in some cards and/or ask for a review.

But it's your choice and if you don't cos you really want to win just ask yourself how you'll feel for the next how many years looking up at that wall, seeing your name etched on the board, knowing it shouldn't be there. Long term, you'll lose.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Is this:
A) Fishing - congrats sir, landed some whoppers
B) Real - if it is, how would you feel if your opponent had posted this? If youre not sure then theres 30 or so guides above!

If it is B, you can always choose to self cut and play off a lower handicap in the final, sounds like 11 would be a good number