Is Hockey the most pointless school sport?

V

vkurup

Disclaimer... I played hockey at school and loved it (till i fractured a finger between two sticks)

Waiting outside the school during pickup time.. and bunch of kids trooped in from a hockey game/practice. all of them looked chuffed. I played hockey at school, but havent played it since I left school a few decades ago. But play the rest of the games - cricket, footy and odd bits of rugby. So am wondering what is the point of having hockey at school, could they play golf instead? (maybe not). Just my musings on an otherwise eventless day.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
No. My niece plays Polo for her school! For the only state school in the country with a team apparently, that annoys the posho's!!

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I played Hockey at school and college and loved it. Havent played since but still follow Fareham in the National League and love watching the game. Plenty of kids must carry on cos a number of Hockey clubs have at 4,5,6,7+ teams playing in the various leagues.

D

Deleted member 15344

Why drop a very popular sport in school ?

I think more hockey should be played in school

Wish my school played hockey

I played for years to a high level , my wife currently plays at the highest level

It encourages teamwork , skill , fitness and also respect for officials

It can also be played in the school grounds

How exactly can a school have golf as a sport ?

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm not a great fan since I have a scar above my eye from my one attempt to play it.....

However, it's actually a very popular sport - it's amazing how many golfers were keen hockey players in their younger days.

Schools do tend to steer girls that way, unfortunately. My OH led a campaign to allow girls at her school to play football and rugby if they wanted.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I thought the point was physical education and to get a bit of exercise

And the teamwork concept! And it has always been suitable for both Boys and Girls!

Hockey used to be a pretty inexpensive sport though, with 'plastic' pitches and graphite sticks, it's becoming rather more expensive. Multi use is practical if the initial funds can be raised/are available though.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
And it all depends on whether the kids are encouraged to take part or to win. Very big difference and In my opinion why we are a nation of losers.

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Few of my friends still play hockey but they are all flamin nutters!

Personally I'd drop cricket. Seems pretty pointless doing it in school term time as you hardly get any real time to play.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hockey is a very regional sport. I grew up in Cheshire where it is very popular. I played it at school and then at club level until my knees packed in. I moved to the North East where it barely exists. Elsewhere in the north it has moderate participation in Lancashire but decent numbers in Yorkshire. In my era Cheshire was consistently the top county in the north of England. It is very strong in the Midlands and southern counties.

I loved it but now you need an astro pitch. Without one it doesn't happen. More schools have them now so it is surviving well but it is not a simple sport to play or teach. Any old Joe can teach the basics of football, you can not say the same of hockey.

Hockey is and will always be a minority sport. Great to play, not so great to watch, particularly if you have not played it yourself. I'm okay with that, it is just how it is.

I think any team sport at school is generally a good thing, whether football, rugby, hockey, basketball, netball etc. Give the kids plenty of options and they will find their own favourites. I hated rugby so was mighty grateful to hockey, we did not have football as an option.

D

Deleted member 15344

Being as you asked the question.It has to be up there as one of the most pointless from my experience..Only the lasses played it at my school.

What exactly makes it pointless ?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
All I know is I loved the game and continued to play once I left school. Played County and Regional level and was in the junior England scene until I found boys - oops!

Kept me fit, taught me teamwork and responsibility (as Captain)...never ever thought it pointless.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
Most non-mainstream sports like hockey, rounders, basketball, netball, tennis, badminton, athletics, table tennis etc could be described as pointless.......if the point is that you have to play sport that is popular in general life. However, I thought the point was to get kids running around and being competitive and from that angle I think they are all very valid choices. A lot depends on the expertise or otherwise of the teaching staff and the availability of the right facilities. Any sport is good for kids development and following this up in later life is largely irrelevant.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would also add, hockey is pretty much the only sport at school where you could play boys and girls together. Not in matches but in lessons. You can then go to university or play at club level and also play mixed hockey. A great way of introducing yourself to the opposite sex with minimal effort. Ponder on that before you call it pointless :thup:.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I went to an all boys public school and we didn't play it. The Girls school the other side of town on the other had did and lacrosse, i loved watching them play when i was a lad.

as an ex Rugby and cricket player no way would you get me playing, certainly not against girls.... far too dangerous;)