Could This be the End of Rugby

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
They are already experimenting this year with no-heading in under 12s football, so this is a potential change to that sport which is coming down the road.
Also, them playing on mini pitches is probably helping in that regard, as I've watched several games my nephew has played in and I don't think I've seen 1 header in that time. When we were playing on full size pitches when I was a kid, the ball was in the air a lot, as most teams put the biggest lad at centre back because he was able to kick the ball the furthest.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
The scrum has nothing to do with it. Scrums are the most controlled impact in the game and are shoulder on shoulder and at a controled speed with a gentle contact prior to the engagement. Scrums can cause other injuries but concussion or head impact is almost non existent. The issue is in rucks and malls and simply in tackling. Rules have changed to lower the height of tackles and that has helped to a certian exctent but now the issue is also with head on hip and head on knee collisions.

That is why this is seen as a threat to the game as a whole. If it was something as simple as scums then the issue could be addressed but it is an issue with all aspects of hte sport.
Conkers. You ever played front row? Even schoolboy level the pressure is immense and on not fully formed skeleton. I'm damned sure that's what caused my back problems at aged 15. Not to mention when it collapses. The positions you end up in on the floor are very dangerous.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Conkers. You ever played front row? Even schoolboy level the pressure is immense and on not fully formed skeleton. I'm damned sure that's what caused my back problems at aged 15. Not to mention when it collapses. The positions you end up in on the floor are very dangerous.

Yes I played tight head prop for over 35 years so pretty familiar with the scrum. I was talking from the impact and concussion perspective where the initial contact is now far more controlled and the collision is on shoulders need the head. You will note the line where I say that the scrum can cause other injuries (my back is knackered as well so with you on that) and the collapse can be horrendous (I have been in 2 scrums where my hooker has broken their neck) but my point was clearly about the concussion element that is the hot potato at the moment.