Is golf possible when...

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
So I am in Whitby at the moment, hoping to play golf.

Currently wondering how bad tomorrow will be, 18mph winds on a cliff to course.

Then I saw Tuesday, beautiful clear day, 14*C and 47mph winds! Is golf even possible?

I am hoping to sneak out out for 18 in the now seeming tame Monday morning but slightly curious about the Tuesday, little scared of being blown off the cliff though...

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
of course it is, played today in 40mph gusts, which meant i was hitting the ball proper forum distances,,, down wind of course.

the 4 iron that only went 100 was not though;)

Craigg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hope it's eased down a bit by the time I get there on Saturday! On the other hand, a very windy afternoon today saw me shoot a personal best 2 over par gross 31 on my local par 29, 9 hole course. So today, in my world, wind is good :whoo:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I hope so as I'm playing the London Club on Tuesday and winds are forecast 40 mph which, I think, is less than when we were there for Kings of Distance. A mere zephyr!

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd love to play a round without wind, generally the prevailing wind on our course blows straight into you face on the 505yd par 5, makes it play quite bit longer.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've heard a few people say this recently, and it makes me wonder if everyone's forgotten......

Summer officially starts June 21st.

HTH.

On tonight's Beeb weather forecast, Jay Winn (BBC/Met office weather presenter) said that meteorologically speaking, summer started 1st June.

Who knows???? Looking forward to it though ......

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
On tonight's Beeb weather forecast, Jay Winn (BBC/Met office weather presenter) said that meteorologically speaking, summer started 1st June.

Who knows???? Looking forward to it though ......

Me too. I just hope it falls on a golf day this year :)

I got my info off the internet, so could be wrong. Is it like the Queen's birthday?

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I've played in two "big" competitions so far this year. Both have been accompanied by strong winds (touching 30-40mph) and sheeting rain.
An absolute waste of time.
I've entered three more opens this year, and if the weather is the same for any of those, I'll be a no show.
I'd rather not play and lose the entry fee than try to knock a ball round in that guff.

Craigg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I've played in two "big" competitions so far this year. Both have been accompanied by strong winds (touching 30-40mph) and sheeting rain.
An absolute waste of time.
I've entered three more opens this year, and if the weather is the same for any of those, I'll be a no show.
I'd rather not play and lose the entry fee than try to knock a ball round in that guff.
I agree. Wind I can deal with. Rain I can deal with. Both together, I'm out!

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I agree. Wind I can deal with. Rain I can deal with. Both together, I'm out!

You don't wear glasses as well do you?
I do....and they were completely covered in rainwater just on the walk to the 1st tee yesterday.
It's like trying to see through a misted up, frosted glass window.
I've tried contact lenses but couldn't get the hang of them so gave up.

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
We had gusts over 50kph for the game on Saturday, still lots of fun going up/down 3 clubs sometimes 4 i.e took a 7 iron for one 100 meter shot which was the moist severe (to be honest it was going in bunkers that messed my score up rather than dealing with the wind)

Craigg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
You don't wear glasses as well do you?
I do....and they were completely covered in rainwater just on the walk to the 1st tee yesterday.
It's like trying to see through a misted up, frosted glass window.
I've tried contact lenses but couldn't get the hang of them so gave up.

I feel you pain. I do indeed wear glasses. They're either steamed up or covered in rain. Lol. A cap helps if it's not windy.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I feel you pain. I do indeed wear glasses. They're either steamed up or covered in rain. Lol. A cap helps if it's not windy.

Like I say, it was 30-40mph gusts yesterday so a cap (I did have one on) didn't help at all.
I'm not a "fair weather golfer" and can put up with a bit of rain if necessary.
But like I've said....if it's blowing a gale and peeing down with rain again in the future, I'm not bothering to go out at all, despite the ridicule I might receive.
It's a game to be enjoyed, and yesterday was no enjoyment whatsoever. None.

SugarPenguin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Pretty sure I played in similar wind in St Andrews a couple years back. It was the beginning of April and it was -7! Needless to say it was snowing and the wind was just frightening.

Balls blew off greens and all that nonsense and I cant describe how my hands felt. The amount your ball would move in the air was comical.

Still managed 18 though !

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Pretty sure I played in similar wind in St Andrews a couple years back. It was the beginning of April and it was -7! Needless to say it was snowing and the wind was just frightening.

Balls blew off greens and all that nonsense and I cant describe how my hands felt. The amount your ball would move in the air was comical.

Still managed 18 though !

What 18 points :) :)