Is Golf now too expensive???

D

Deleted member 21258

The 'so called' top end stuff is getting totally out of the price range that I would want to spend for a round of golf.

Tend to play the reciprocals available and cheap courses with amazing views/ride of holes and some mid range courses, if we play at a course we arent a member of.

Probably changing home membership to a cheap course this year and dropping another, to help to save some pounds, as costs have spiralled the last couple of years, when you include the cost of travel to courses each time.

Pass on cost of equipment, as tend not to spend much on that or look at it.

In answer to your question, yes in many ways, however there are cheaper options still available thankfully.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
along with house prices, I would add child care. Full time nursery care for me is £13k - £20k pa per child

Not sure what it was in previous decades but this seems incredibly high as a proportion of income

Good old child care, I’m £1000 a month for 4 days a week and my Mum helps us on a Friday.
It does sting a bit, no doubts.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
The 'so called' top end stuff is getting totally out of the price range that I would want to spend for a round of golf.

Tend to play the reciprocals available and cheap courses with amazing views/ride of holes and some mid range courses, if we play at a course we arent a member of.

Probably changing home membership to a cheap course this year and dropping another, to help to save some pounds, as costs have spiralled the last couple of years, when you include the cost of travel to courses each time.

Pass on cost of equipment, as tend not to spend much on that or look at it.

In answer to your question, yes in many ways, however there are cheaper options still available thankfully.

Good to see you back posting Darren ??

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
along with house prices, I would add child care. Full time nursery care for me is £13k - £20k pa per child

Not sure what it was in previous decades but this seems incredibly high as a proportion of income

Very grateful our parents provide it. Otherwise my wife would just give up work as the twins childcare would be double her wage

They start nursery in sept and the 30 free hours will cover it well, honestly can't keep the grandparents away . They want to do drop off lol

Albo

Visit site
Except there is always something else to pay for!
This!
Those thoughts used to be my thoughts until they came out of child care into the school system and you have a myriad of after school clubs and whatnot to pay for. Plus the hours they are in school means one of us has to be at home before 3pm anyway to go do pick up, and can’t get to work till after 9 to do drop off.
Kids endless entertainment and fun. And a money pit to boot

evemccc

Visit site
Having an approx extra 10 million people in the country since the late 1990s both helps drive housing costs up and helps lower wage-growth and particularly impacts the low-waged…

#elephantintheroom

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Golf is expensive, no doubt. Even with savings made on equipment there is constant outlay in either membership or green fees just to play.

New equipment is getting ridiculous, but… I have taken a slightly different view in this in the last year.

Some may know my “other hobby” (second business basically) is woodworking/carpentry and having recently replaced machinery and tools you get a sense of what “expensive” actually means.

Every aspect right down to a small tin of finish oil being £40 up to replacing the planer/thicknesses at £1900… it has certainly put golf expense in a new light.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Golf is expensive, no doubt. Even with savings made on equipment there is constant outlay in either membership or green fees just to play.

New equipment is getting ridiculous, but… I have taken a slightly different view in this in the last year.

Some may know my “other hobby” (second business basically) is woodworking/carpentry and having recently replaced machinery and tools you get a sense of what “expensive” actually means.

Every aspect right down to a small tin of finish oil being £40 up to replacing the planer/thicknesses at £1900… it has certainly put golf expense in a new light.

Off topic, apologies...

@GreiginFife What do you make?

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Off topic, apologies...

@GreiginFife What do you make?

Liv tee pegs for reed ?

On topic side I just purchased a new bag @Orikoru I hold you responsible for getting in my head about a 5 split at top .....

Anyways it was £135 off eBay, brand new

Could have spent so much more if I wanted (think the stadry ones were £250 and sun mountain £320) but this cobra one at £135 was reasonable

Look out in the for sale section for a 3 year old big max bag soon

Last edited: