Is anyone using new equipment for the first time?

SaintStu

Visit site
Counting down the days until Monday 29th March, leave work early and head for the nearest course. Is anyone going to be using any new clubs etc for the first time?

If so, what is everyone's expectations and how long would you consider a reasonable amount of time to get use to a new set of clubs? or a single club or even a whole new bag?

Apart from 2 wedges and a putter (Christmas presents) which have only been used for 2 rounds the rest of the bag is new for me. Very excited but not really sure what to expect....

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Who knows, it will be a mystery. I have a new putter, which will be fine, and a new driver shaft, which will be interesting. I doubt I will have a chance to hit it before standing on the 2nd tee, so who knows?

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I've got a new driver, 3 & 5 woods that I haven't even had a practice swish with yet. God knows how I'll get on with them, although I feel fairly confident with the fairways. The driver will be out on the 1st and 2nd but could be up for sale by the 3rd 5G permitting...

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nope! Been a good boy. All the same line up.

But I have a Titleist fitting lined up for some time soon and if that goes well I intend to be a very naughty boy indeed

gopher99

Visit site
Got some Mizuno 921 forged irons on the way blackout lz shafts. And a new driver shaft, going to try a lighter shaft and see if it makes any difference at all.

Reactions: Zig

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Newer version of irons I've used before including shafts I've used before so not expecting much drama from them...
The rest, that have been in the bag for a while...God knows.....

SaintStu

Visit site
Feeling the same! The closest course to work doesn't have any practice facilities so first swing will be hitting a new club. Got a new set of irons, a 5 wood and a new hybrid to try for the first time, so will be a 7 iron for the first tee shot and then try the 5 wood and see how it goes. Already waking up with sweaty palms even thinking about it :rolleyes:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I'll be playing a new putter, either a Golden Goose just delivered or a Slazenger Lucky 13 that should be delivered in the next couple of days.

Other than that it'll be the HB&S Max Faulkner Avenger irons (which were my original vintage set) with Dunlop Maxflite 1 and 3 woods.

What can go wrong that hasn't before?

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I've a new 58d wedge and a 3hybrid that I'm yet to hit a ball with.

I've also shortened one of my driver shafts by an inch and bought some extra weights for the head to have an experiment with, but I may wait until I can get on a range with a launch monitor before I really start fiddling with all the different settings with that.

Got a lesson booked for the 1st that was postponed from January so will need to hit a few balls prior to that so I can remember which parts of my game are terrible and which parts are merely bad.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I will be come March 29th. New driver and new shaft new irons 5-PW Newish 5 wood that so far has only been used for one round.

If that set of irons do not do the job I have another new to me set where I have only tried the 8 iron.

The time to get really used another set of irons is around 2-3 months for me. The driver I should know within a round or two. The old driver will not go up for sale until I am totally sure its not going back in the bag. Might try several different shafts first.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
New putter, but both of the old ones have been sold so it’s full commitment this end. New shaft for driver and fairway but they will need a range session or two before going in.

Going to be a completely new course so my only expectation is a good walk.

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pxg driver, G400 crossover, Nx7 pro, rzn balls and new ducas

wouldn’t mind a new wood/hybrid 20-23°. I can’t see that crossover lasting long ?

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
I bought a new 5 wood just before the last lockdown. hit it a few times on the range. I've decided I'm hitting off the first on whichever course I start on. Apart from maybe the 1 course locally which starts with a 130 yard par 3!

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Got a new putter to play about with and an alternative heaven wood to have a go with... A couple of range sessions are in order I think before I hit the course.

D

Deleted member 23344

I put together a second set (except driver and putter which I already had) during lockdown with second hand eBay purchases, so I will use it first time out. Won’t know if my bad play is due to lockdown rustiness or the new set ?