Is a trolley worth it?

bristolgolfer

Visit site
Love the responses I've gotten! haven't logged in for a week and wasn't expecting so many responses haha,

I think it is much more of a personal preference since I can imagine pushing a trolley is going to be as tough as walking with it on your back on a hill-ier course.

Are there bags that are going to be more suitable for carrying? I've seen some stand bags that have thicker straps which may bear the weight a bit nicer. (something like https://www.thegolffactory.co.uk/product-page/sun-moutain-2021-two-5-plus-stand-bag)

I do bare the brunt of carrying most rounds but on those sunnier days where the heat is unbearable, a trolley may be a nice option!

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I never understand why people say that at a certain age you should be carrying. Why? It's not compulsory that you must carry untill you reach the age of 30, 40, etc. It's all personal preference. There are many reasons why people don't want to carry. I have a friend in his 70's who always carry a half set, other young lads at the club use trollies (push and electric).
Just go with what you feel comfortable with. For me, an electric trolley does prevent me from tiring during the round. And it allows me to carry what I need for the round. In Scotland you can get 4 seasons in one round. I've been soaked for part of the round and sweltering for the rest of the round.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
I am impressed by how my friends in the United Kingdom manage to keep walking the golf course instead of riding.
No wonder you're not as fat as we are.
Although that may not necessarily be the reason.
I've eaten at your restaurants.

Rule Britannia, but not in the kitchen.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I never understand why people say that at a certain age you should be carrying. Why? It's not compulsory that you must carry untill you reach the age of 30, 40, etc. It's all personal preference. There are many reasons why people don't want to carry. I have a friend in his 70's who always carry a half set, other young lads at the club use trollies (push and electric).
Just go with what you feel comfortable with. For me, an electric trolley does prevent me from tiring during the round. And it allows me to carry what I need for the round. In Scotland you can get 4 seasons in one round. I've been soaked for part of the round and sweltering for the rest of the round.
I don't think there is any age at which one should or should not have a trolley but if someone in their 20's is finding it very tiring carrying a golf bag for a single round they have conditioning/fitness issues which are not resolved by using a trolley though the symptom may be.
In the west of Scotland in winter trolleys should be banned anyway.

D

Deleted member 18588

I am impressed by how my friends in the United Kingdom manage to keep walking the golf course instead of riding.

Bit rich from a resident of the "Land of the Flavour Free". Where quantity is mistaken for quality.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Bit rich from a resident of the "Land of the Flavour Free". Where quantity is mistaken for quality.

We wish to thank you for giving us an alternative to the global metric system.
That way, we can measure our sandwiches by the foot. One and a half or two is usually sufficient for a nice lunch.

In all honesty, I don't know much about the UK outside of London, but as much as I enjoy London with the West End theater and the shopping, and the friendly pubs, and the huge Ferris Wheel, and all,
the food was borderline catastrophic. And yes, for Yanks, quantity does matter.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Anyway re trolleys. As I have mentioned Tricky Trev has A Stewart Q follow. He is not happy with it at all. 2x failures on something that cost a Pint short of 2K. He reckons it is rubbish. So after getting wet through playing 9 holes today. Talk in the 19th eveolved around another PPs top of the range Motocaddy with Gps etc etc. The screen keeps going blank. It is months old. He is seething with Motocaddy. His and Tricky Trev’s thoughts are the same re trolleys. Expensive rubbish.
Me I bought TTS remote Motocaddy, I love the concept of remote but it cuts out occasionally and runs to the left. I was going to buy the new Motocaddy M7 but after listening to me 2 PPs and there expensive headaches. Am gonna get this serviced and see if that is a better cheaper option.
Left me thinking there’s not a lot wrong with a push trolley

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Anyway re trolleys. As I have mentioned Tricky Trev has A Stewart Q follow. He is not happy with it at all. 2x failures on something that cost a Pint short of 2K. He reckons it is rubbish. So after getting wet through playing 9 holes today. Talk in the 19th eveolved around another PPs top of the range Motocaddy with Gps etc etc. The screen keeps going blank. It is months old. He is seething with Motocaddy. His and Tricky Trev’s thoughts are the same re trolleys. Expensive rubbish.
Me I bought TTS remote Motocaddy, I love the concept of remote but it cuts out occasionally and runs to the left. I was going to buy the new Motocaddy M7 but after listening to me 2 PPs and there expensive headaches. Am gonna get this serviced and see if that is a better cheaper option.
Left me thinking there’s not a lot wrong with a push trolley
Well.......... at the risk of being repetitive, my GoKart is wonderfully simple, never misses a beat and continues to work through the worst of weathers.

D Munro

Visit site
The outer casing on my Motocaddy Lithium Battery began to crack. As this was still under warranty I contacted Motocaddy ( By phone as they had ignored my emails) and was instructed to take it to their local repair centre.
Motocaddy agreed to send a replacement casing to the agent to complete the repair.
I’ve now been waiting since the 19th June for Motocaddy to arrange for the replacement casing to be sent. I have phoned, emailed, and on-line web chatted all to no avail. Completely unresponsive and I’m still waiting !! If it takes 3 months , and counting, to complete a simple repair job why would anyone buy their product again ?

Tashyboy

Visit site
The outer casing on my Motocaddy Lithium Battery began to crack. As this was still under warranty I contacted Motocaddy ( By phone as they had ignored my emails) and was instructed to take it to their local repair centre.
Motocaddy agreed to send a replacement casing to the agent to complete the repair.
I’ve now been waiting since the 19th June for Motocaddy to arrange for the replacement casing to be sent. I have phoned, emailed, and on-line web chatted all to no avail. Completely unresponsive and I’m still waiting !! If it takes 3 months , and counting, to complete a simple repair job why would anyone buy their product again ?

not a bad first post and welcome to the forum.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I use a three-wheel push trolley for most of my rounds, my home course is pretty flat so it's ideal. I can carry for 18 if I need to, but I generally don't need to, so why bother? I tend to carry if I'm only playing 9 holes, lately that's been partly because my wife has been using my trolley, ha.

Find some of the attitudes weird, people saying "at your age you should be carrying blah blah" - why?? What weird macho nonsense. :LOL: I could carry but my back and shoulders will be aching slightly more at the end, and there's no real up-side that I can think of, so what's the point? Carry if I have to, like if there's a trolley ban in winter for example.

At OP - the Clicgear/Rovic and Motocaddy Cube models are all pretty good, they fold down nice and neatly so easy to store at home and fit in the boot.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
A young guy in his 20's has no need for a trolley, unless you are carrying an injury / medical condition. A lightweight stand bag with double shoulder straps has all the pockets you need and is very comfortable to carry.
Carrying is much quicker and more convenient because you can walk in straight lines, walk across greens, step over ditches instead of looking for bridges etc. A trolley is more faff but definitely more relaxing.
But just because you don't need it, doesn't mean you can't have one, it's a personal preference. My wife wants a Range Rover but she won't be doing any off road driving. If you become a serious golfer and start playing in 36 hole medals, a bigger bag and a trolley become more beneficial, especially in the rain.
Also, if you are getting worn out playing golf (which really isn't strenuous at all), it's a bit worrying at your age and probably a good idea for you to carry to improve your fitness.
Above is the correct answer, I carried a full size bag for 36 holes well into my late 60s .
Quite embarrassing for a fit 20 year old to want a trolley. :D

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Good to see you back here posting again Boomer. (y)

And I've eaten in yours. I've only been Stateside once, but we did try to experience the "local's" view on eating out rather than dining in the hotel every night. It seemed that you had to dine by 5.30/6.00pm, eat as much as you could, and then the rest goes into the "doggie bag" for consumption during the rest of the evening washed down with a 6 pack. Great concept ;)

Tashyboy

Visit site
Good to see you back here posting again Boomer. (y)

And I've eaten in yours. I've only been Stateside once, but we did try to experience the "local's" view on eating out rather than dining in the hotel every night. It seemed that you had to dine by 5.30/6.00pm, eat as much as you could, and then the rest goes into the "doggie bag" for consumption during the rest of the evening washed down with a 6 pack. Great concept ;)

al second that ?

JGolfer

Visit site
I’m around your age and alternate between them. If I’m going for a quick knock about after work I carry(convenience). If it’s the winter and the weather isn’t great, I carry(convenience of not having to clean the filthy trolley). If it’s the summer and the weather is banging, I use my trolley(convenience easier to use a trolley in the heat I find, since I’m carrying more stuff.)

sunshine

Visit site

But we are catching up, obesity epidemic is growing fast.

In all honesty, I don't know much about the UK outside of London, but as much as I enjoy London with the West End theater and the shopping, and the friendly pubs, and the huge Ferris Wheel, and all,
the food was borderline catastrophic. And yes, for Yanks, quantity does matter.

Did your experience extend beyond Leicester Square, with the tourist traps of TGI Fridays and McDonalds? London has got fantastic restaurants for all cuisines at all budgets. 69 restaurants with Michelin stars (New York has 76), but also hugely cosmopolitan with a massive diversity of international flavours. You missed out big time.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Absolute nonsense. I've eaten in plenty poor places in the states, we can all make poor choices.