Is a trolley worth it?

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
At 25, I would say keep carrying.
Make sure you have a decent quality lightweight stand bag.
Don't overload your bag with stuff, too many golf balls soon become heavy.

thebigreason

Visit site
In my opinion, yes yes yes!

Being a fairly new golfer, I find that now I have a trolley, I get to concentrate a little more on my game rather than lugging a bag around - probably all in my head but it helps.

Currently have a Clicgear 3.5 trolley which I got second hand for £45 earlier on in the year.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Carried 100% of time until my early 50s (though in very early teens I’d occasionally have to walk 3miles to the course and same back after playing so used an old trolley I found from somewhere) - until sciatica told me to use a trolley. TBH I rather miss the feel of the bag and being ‘close’ to my clubs - because that was just part of me playing golf - but I console myself on that by occasionally taking out a half set and absolute minimal other stuff/gear in a little pencil bag if I’m playing just a handful of holes.

I use a Motocaddy Cube push trolley and it’s great. I have a random and irrational irritation watching remote control trolleys wandering about the fairway with the owner striding imperiously a way ahead or behind (sorry Mib4612 I admit it’s random and irrational but it’s just there ?).

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Carried 100% of time until my early 50s (though in very early teens I’d occasionally have to walk 3miles to the course and same back after playing so used an old trolley I found from somewhere) - until sciatica told me to use a trolley. TBH I rather miss the feel of the bag and being ‘close’ to my clubs - because that was just part of me playing golf - but I console myself on that by occasionally taking out a half set and absolute minimal other stuff/gear in a little pencil bag if I’m playing just a handful of holes.

I use a Motocaddy Cube push trolley and it’s great. I have a random and irrational irritation watching remote control trolleys wandering about the fairway with the owner striding imperiously a way ahead or behind (sorry Mib4612 I admit it’s random and irrational but it’s just there ?).
You have a fear of Robots.
Robofear.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Trolley 100%
If your course is fairly flat then a push one will do.
But electrics make it so much easier...
I was anti-electric until I tried one....
It was Ellesborough that converted me to electric.. I found a push trolley was harder work than carrying ( I suppose you over load a trolley bag and strip out a carry bag to the minimum)

So for this thread my answer would be get an electric trolley and forgo the push one .. it’s initially expensive but it’s best answer for carrying a bag.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It was Ellesborough that converted me to electric.. I found a push trolley was harder work than carrying ( I suppose you over load a trolley bag and strip out a carry bag to the minimum)

So for this thread my answer would be get an electric trolley and forgo the push one .. it’s initially expensive but it’s best answer for carrying a bag.

I had an electric trolly for like 7 years, sold it in end and switched to push only because my course isnt overly hilly

A long time ago tho I made the switch to a hybrid bag so that I was always forced to pack light and could carry if a trolly ban was introduced

RichA

Visit site
I'm a relatively fit 50 and didn't think a trolley was worth the bother until I started playing more golf. The benefits are noticeable over the last 9 holes, when my back used to start aching a little.
If you're walking 5 or 6 miles twice a week on top of your normal routine then carrying the bag won't have any significant improvement on your fitness. Most of the gains are from the walk, not the slinging of a bag of clubs over your shoulder. Carrying your bag makes you more achy, not more fit.

sunshine

Visit site
I remember watching Rob and Romesh Vs Golf. It was mildly amusing, but the thing that stuck for me was when Romesh went out to play with a remote control trolley, which he described as a " mod edit beacon." The guy had never been on a golf course in his life and could hardly hit the ball, but straight away he grasped the purpose of remote control trollies.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mandofred

Visit site
I'm 64 and used to run a lot when younger (and 40lbs lighter). Sticking to a push trolley at this time and I'm not tired at all at the end of 18. I usually play the round of golf and then come home and walk uphill on a treadmill for at least 30 minutes. Walked about 8 miles this morning and will get on the treadmill again this afternoon. A push trolley is a little bit of a workout, especially on a hilly course....but my attitude is if I can combine the golf with a little workout why not do both? I am considering an electric though.....if I keep playing at Ripon the front 9 has several places where I have to just stand next to my ball for an extra 15 seconds or so to get my breath back. On a flat course an electric might be technically easier, but it's negligible.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yes to a trolley. In my case, dodgy lower back is the driver, not fitness.
In the winter I'll carry a small bag with a half set which works ok, but I just couldn't manage a full set.
If I was younger and stronger, I'd still push - your back is so important in so much that's good in life, it's just not worth jeopardising it.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

A couple of thenguys i play with have push trolleys and seeing them struggle up the hills on 3 and 4 bring a mild chuckle...
My knees and ankle don't allow me to carry except on the rare occasions we have a trolley ban when I will carry the bare minimum and stock up with paracetamol and ibuprofen before and after...

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A couple of thenguys i play with have push trolleys and seeing them struggle up the hills on 3 and 4 bring a mild chuckle...
My knees and ankle don't allow me to carry except on the rare occasions we have a trolley ban when I will carry the bare minimum and stock up with paracetamol and ibuprofen before and after...
The thing with a psh trolley is the work down the hills as well as you try to stop it running away from you

M.Harmon

Visit site
Hey Guys & Gals,

New poster here so thought I'd make it a good one!

I'm a new golfer who's fallen in love with the game. I'm in my mid 20's and I've been slowly progressing to the point I can see myself becoming a member of a club soon. I probably get out once a week and it's a great time but I've recently gotten fairly worn out with even a game a week which in my mind isn't too much.

I'm considering a trolley to try and lighten the load on my legs which is mainly what gets tired quickly. Would anyone recommend a trolley to try and wear me out less? Whilst pushing a huge trolley up a hill is tiresome it can't be less exhausting than hauling around my bag for 18 holes.

Let me know your thoughts!

I used a Clicgear push trolley for years but switched to a PowaKaddy CT6 electric trolley last year and have not looked back. Pushing is OK but letting the trolley do the work is even better! Just walk behind it and save your energy, you will find you have more energy towards the end of the round not having to carry or push/pull a trolley.