Irons Straight, Driver Slice

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi All,

Finally managed to get my irons in a good place. Hitting them straight, and got my distances nailed on.

The driver, however, has taken a huge turn for the worse and I am slicing it.

Presuming it should be more or the less the same swing for each club, so any quick fixes you can suggest for straighter driving. Anything that I should be thinking about that maybe I am not?

Appreciate this is a vague question, but looking for tips or ideas, that I can try out at the range tomorrow.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi All,

Finally managed to get my irons in a good place. Hitting them straight, and got my distances nailed on.

The driver, however, has taken a huge turn for the worse and I am slicing it.

Presuming it should be more or the less the same swing for each club, so any quick fixes you can suggest for straighter driving. Anything that I should be thinking about that maybe I am not?

Appreciate this is a vague question, but looking for tips or ideas, that I can try out at the range tomorrow.

What are you like with say, a 4 iron?

It's possible that the same issue could be present in your iron swing but not noticeable because of the different length and loft of the clubs relative to a driver.

It's so hard to come up with any one size fits all answer, and I'm by no means an expert either! I suspect people that are actually able to help might appreciate a video of both your iron swing and your driver swing to identify the differences that could cause this problem and give you some useful advice.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am not good enough to give advice although I can have similar issues. What works for me is not necessarily what would work for you. For me, I slice, or power fade as I like to call it, when my hands are too fast through the ball and my body has not caught up. I need to slow my swing and really concentrate on my follow through, belt buckle to the target and finish like Rory. When I do all that I go straight but whether that works for you is dependent on what is causing the slice.

With regards to swings, I really don't see how you can have the same swing for a driver as a 9 iron. Way too much difference in club length. My tin hat is on and I am ready to be rebuked but I don't see people having the same swing for both at any level.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
there should be differences in the driver swing - but many don't bother with that and, really, the only reason to be different is to reduce spin.

so that aside it can come down to what is causing you to swing differently with the driver (which I take to be the question you are asking)

in simple terms it's additional length can result in a flatter swing plane for those with a very upright one otherwise - and ball position + flatter plane can cause your symptom

the other consideration is if it's actually the swing plane or that you are leaving the club face open through impact. the biggest clue will be if the ball is starting left or not - people term many ball flights 'a slice'!

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
there should be differences in the driver swing - but many don't bother with that and, really, the only reason to be different is to reduce spin.

so that aside it can come down to what is causing you to swing differently with the driver (which I take to be the question you are asking)

in simple terms it's additional length can result in a flatter swing plane for those with a very upright one otherwise - and ball position + flatter plane can cause your symptom

the other consideration is if it's actually the swing plane or that you are leaving the club face open through impact. the biggest clue will be if the ball is starting left or not - people term many ball flights 'a slice'!

OK, my drives go straight for quite a way, and then curl round to the right towards the end. So I would say it goes straight for about 150-180 yards and then goes to the right....

Any ideas?

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I am not good enough to give advice although I can have similar issues. What works for me is not necessarily what would work for you. For me, I slice, or power fade as I like to call it, when my hands are too fast through the ball and my body has not caught up. I need to slow my swing and really concentrate on my follow through, belt buckle to the target and finish like Rory. When I do all that I go straight but whether that works for you is dependent on what is causing the slice.

With regards to swings, I really don't see how you can have the same swing for a driver as a 9 iron. Way too much difference in club length. My tin hat is on and I am ready to be rebuked but I don't see people having the same swing for both at any level.

I wouldn't say I am necessarily fast swinger. I slowed down my backswing in particular quite a bit and that has helped massivley with my irons.

Maybe I should just try and slow everything right down. I would much rather hit my drives straight 200 yards consistently for the time being.

I had a very good round (for me) at the weekend in terms of irons, chipping and putting, but everything off the tee (hybrid and driver) always left me in a tough spot.

D

Deleted member 18121

you could try strengthening your grip a little.

Craigg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
OK, my drives go straight for quite a way, and then curl round to the right towards the end. So I would say it goes straight for about 150-180 yards and then goes to the right....

Any ideas?

Face is square to target at impact, but path is slightly left (out to in)

drew83

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Any ideas?

I was reading about how to fade/draw on purpose.

From what you have said, it sounds like you are set up for a fade/powerfade/slice.

You may not be set up feet & shoulders square to target...

to HIT a fade:

1) target at 12 o'clock
2)club face aimed to 11 o'clock
3)path of club to 10 o'clock.

I read this here:

http://www.mygolftutor.com/how-to-hit-a-fade-in-golf-like-a-pro/

Maybe, & I am not an expert at all......make sure every thing is aimed at 12 o'clock?

Maccy

Club Champion
Visit site
I was really suffering from this during my last round and at the range this weekend, irons were great but woods nasty slice.
Wondering if it's my arms and body not completely in sync, slowing it right down usually helps but I was getting so frustrated I guess I forgot to do that!

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Some useful tips here, I am down to the range tomorrow and I am going to spend some time on working it out!!!

ruff-driver

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
On the range set up with a club along your feet line severly closed,
try and hook it .
If it snap hooks 50+yard, bring the feet nearer to square in small increments,
you still need to feel the hook motion
hopefully that'll keep you on the inside plane rather than over the top.

If you hit big pulls your swing is starting from the top with a shoulder turn rather than the legs, hips, & shoulders in sequence.

Hobbituk

Visit site
Only two things affect the ball shape

1. Angle of club face at impact
2. Path of club face in the next 0.005 (or whatever it is) while the ball is in contact with the club

as the shot is going straight, your club face is facing the target at impact

then, for whatever reason, it is cutting across the ball

as others have said, it could be the setup. It could also be a swing that is ever so slightly out to in (in which case you may just need to come round the body a bit more), or it could be the ball a little too far forward in the stance

quickest fix is to move the ball back a fraction and see what that does - but the golf is a tough game because there are so many variables that impact those two factors above. Changing one may mean you swing differently or setup slightly differently and given the amount of potential body parts that affect it......

maybe just aim a little left ;-)

Stegsie

Head Pro
Visit site
I had the same problem, and ended up getting the pro in our place to give me some driver specific lessons. Fixed it within just a single session. Advise on all the above posts seems to cover it, so I won't add any more to that.