Irons - Horses for courses?

General Fade

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi,
Whilst we have game improvement, players clubs and fittings etc is there a recommendation of types of irons to suit the courses we have namely parkland, links and heath?

Wedges have bounce I believe so do irons?

So my thinking is that links generally have tighter lies than parkland, not played a heathland but figure links stylee, so are irons with less of a a wide sole preferred over those with thicker soles or will head weight come into accont considering the flffier lies of a parkland??

Cheers, Fade

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Hi,
Whilst we have game improvement, players clubs and fittings etc is there a recommendation of types of irons to suit the courses we have namely parkland, links and heath?

Wedges have bounce I believe so do irons?

So my thinking is that links generally have tighter lies than parkland, not played a heathland but figure links stylee, so are irons with less of a a wide sole preferred over those with thicker soles or will head weight come into accont considering the flffier lies of a parkland??

Cheers, Fade

I don't think it makes much difference, if you are good enough anything will work. I know two guys who use great big hulking Ping GI irons, one off 2 the other scratch and thats at a links course,

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interesting. I think I read a way back that Open winners tended to use blades as this generally resulted in lower trajectories and better flight control. That was some time ago though. I think for a long time the only Open champion to have won with GI/Cavity back clubs was Calcavecchia at Troon in 1989 (obviously not an option for the first 100 plus Opens! :lol:). Must have been a few more in recent years. I think Zach Johnson used a combination of AP1 and AP2 irons.