Visit site
So to recap.........
You have an open stance,
You swing out to in
Your arms don't release
You hit it fat and out of the toe
Your normal shot tends to be a high/medium-high draw

Confused :confused:

As you didn't reply to my question and given the above info I can only suggest.....

You need a lesson

Hi Bob,

I do apologise I didn't see the question.

Going to get my PP to video my swing tonight.

My swing is probably all over the place so yeah a lesson is most likely needed!

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi Coach,
My normal shot tends to be a high/medium-high draw when struck properly and swung properly.

I really think that the out to in swing could be the issue. I have a tendency to play with an open stance so not sure if this could be the issue?

I also think that when swinging I don't let my arms release or 'push out' enough through the ball thus cause the club to 'extend' out, I think maybe this coupled with the out to in swing could be the issue.

mornin from nyc

if for sure your normal shot pattern is a draw - ie. ball starting to the right of target and curving back - then it's unlikely you've changed swing path to out to in

but if the 'draw' shape is ball starting direction a tad left of the target line and curving further leftfield so more a small pull hook swing path could be out to in

would get a checkover from PGA Pro as it's more common for folks to stay pretty true to normal swing path tendencies & yours sounds like it's little ways in to out

so would likely think the solution would likely be around set-up, alignments, and ball position how the weight moves (which grip could play into from the get-go)

what's currently goin down could be coupled with maybes a sway off the ball (with a backswing that's a ways too long?) then a little ways to big a lateral slide to target in the downswing and a loss of posture so more of a stand-up and upper body lean back into the strike

but a ways impossible to tell for sure not knowing exactly what's going down

but the drills if you can get them down would help to promote a better strike with the smaller motion and if that can be got down good and consistent strike through the smaller motion - it's just a fraction of a bigger turn to get to a full just below parallel top of the swing position

Last edited:

stokie_93

Tour Rookie
Visit site
mornin from nyc

if for sure your normal shot pattern is a draw - ie. ball starting to the right of target and curving back - then it's unlikely you've changed swing path to out to in

but if the 'draw' shape is ball starting direction a tad left of the target line and curving further leftfield so more a small pull hook swing path could be out to in

would get a checkover from PGA Pro as it's more common for folks to stay pretty true to normal swing path tendencies & yours sounds like it's little ways in to out

so would likely think the solution would likely be around set-up, alignments, and ball position how the weight moves (which grip could play into from the get-go)

what's currently goin down could be coupled with maybes a sway off the ball (with a backswing that's a ways too long?) then a little ways to big a lateral slide to target in the downswing and a loss of posture so more of a stand-up and upper body lean back into the strike

but a ways impossible to tell for sure not knowing exactly what's going down

but the drills if you can get them down would help to promote a better strike with the smaller motion and if that can be got down good and consistent strike through the smaller motion - it's just a fraction of a bigger turn to get to a full just below parallel top of the swing position

Hi Coach,

Thanks for the response once again - hope all is well in USA, looking forward to going the other side of the pond next month!

I think my problems may lie in my stance, set-up and ball position.
Will report back after my 9 tonight and let you know how I go on.

Thanks!

stokie_93

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thanks again to everyone for their hints and tips.

Went down for 9 holes last night and told myself to sort my iron play out. :D

Really went back to basics and made sure I was in the right place.
Started my aligning properly and more accurately and making sure I was square to target, made sure ball was in the correct position and put a smoother swing on the club.

Started to strike the ball much better and didn't chunk any last night, hit 2 peaches on two of the par 3's on the front, both within about 12 feet and then the 9th I missed the green by a yard but pin eye.

It's really helped me by doing the above and i'm going again tonight before comp tomorrow so fingers crossed it'll continue.