Iron lie angle at address.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
One I could think of off the top of my head would be why rest the iron on its toe at address. Surely your wrists wouldn't be in a good position?

but why toe up as apposed to flush? I've never hit a lie board or used properly fitted clubs so quite interested to hear what these reasons are?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
what are these reasons?

Do you really want/need to know?

Just try setting up with the toe perched on the toe of the club, the hands/wrists above the plane, on tip-toes, leaning slightly forward and with a huge amount of tnsion everywhere in your body trying to keep that position. Then try and make a smooth backswing followed by a flowing downswing.

It's rather easier to simply set up in an 'athletically relaxed' position with arms hanging down slightly - which points the toe of the club slightly up. Then a smooth backswing and flowing downswing is a piece of cake!

And if you want some more convincing, watch this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwzOMeXA5Bo

Interesting geographical mix too. A Kiwi in England posting to an Irish guy about an Aussie in US at a Club named after a place in Scotland!

Last edited:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Do you really want/need to know?

Just try setting up with the toe perched on the toe of the club, the hands/wrists above the plane, on tip-toes, leaning slightly forward and with a huge amount of tnsion everywhere in your body trying to keep that position. Then try and make a smooth backswing followed by a flowing downswing.

It's rather easier to simply set up in an 'athletically relaxed' position with arms hanging down slightly - which points the toe of the club slightly up. Then a smooth backswing and flowing downswing is a piece of cake!

And if you want some more convincing, watch this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwzOMeXA5Bo

Interesting geographical mix too. A Kiwi in England posting to an Irish guy about an Aussie in US at a Club named after a place in Scotland!

Of course I want/need to know. :thup: This is interesting. I would always try to get the club to sit flush at address. This is probably only the start of my problems. :eek:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Of course I want/need to know. :thup: This is interesting. I would always try to get the club to sit flush at address. This is probably only the start of my problems. :eek:

<Snelly (et al) mode>
You might want to know, but you very probably don't need to know

And it's almost certainly a bad thing that you now know!

</Snelly (et al) Mode>

:whistle:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Knowing, or at least having some knowledge of these things isn't necessarily so I know what to do. Its so I know what not to do. :whistle:

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Gary, it's normal that the toe is up a little at address because the shaft flexes downwards in the downswing. As you strike the ball, the shaft is flexing, making the club square to the ground at impact. It's important to alter the lie of the club to achieve this, don't just move your hands as this could throw your whole swing out of kilter.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
its all clicking into place! interesting stuff this. this would never have dawned on me, no matter how many balls I hit!

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
That argument is a very unconvincing one though. The Toe-up makes it easier to swing so that the the (all-important) impact position is more likely to be correct - for several reasons.

Why would you want to make it more difficult to hit the ball properly?

Isn't hat a bit what comes first the chicken or the egg?

http://wishongolf.com/iron-fitting-iron-out-the-details/

a quote from the link

"Iron Lie Fitting
What more be said? Every golfer must have the lie angles of their irons dynamically fit and adjusted to ensure the centre of the sole is the point of contact with the ground. Not static lie fitting, but dynamic lie fitting so every variable from the swing is accounted for to ensure the proper lie angle for each iron. Failure to do so is a ticket to missing more greens."

One way to look at the video you posted later would be that the toe is up in his address because his impact has the club bowing, different hand position...