Iron lie angle at address.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Simples, two part question for the forum buffs.

Assuming a person has been custom fit for their irons:

a) Regardless of whether a player is fitted for upright or flat irons, when static at address, should the sole of the iron sit flush to the turf? Or should any part of the sole sit off from the turf?

I know the downswing will have a different effect on the toe position at impact, I'm more concerned with address.

And

b) How often should you have the lie of forged irons checked?

Muchos Gracias in advance :thup:

DCB

Visit site
Gareth,

The toe should be slightly up off the gound at a static address position. There used to be enough room to slip a coin (2pence piece ? ) under the to at static address position.

Checking will depend on use, hard mats or hard ground may well need checks carried out sooner rather than later.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Gareth,

The toe should be slightly up off the gound at a static address position. There used to be enough room to slip a coin (2pence piece ? ) under the to at static address position.

Checking will depend on use, hard mats or hard ground may well need checks carried out sooner rather than later.

Thanks for that DCB :thup:

If you were to look down, from your address position would the club head appear slightly toe up or with it only being fractionally toe up, as you say, would the club head appear flush to the ground?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Gareth,

Pretty much what I'd heard too.

Stingy Scots though. :D It was a 50p coin' 'darn sarf'! :whistle:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
There is an argument that it can be what it wants at address, toe up or heel up or flush, its the angle at impact that is the important one and different people will start in slightly different positions to get to their optimal position at impact

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
There is an argument that it can be what it wants at address, toe up or heel up or flush, its the angle at impact that is the important one and different people will start in slightly different positions to get to their optimal position at impact

D'ya know! I never thought of that Steve :mad:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Forged clubs will definitely need to be checked more regularly than cast.
Let's face it Ping and Callaway cast clubs are made of the hardest substance known to the Universe and are virtually indestructible....

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

That argument is a very unconvincing one though. The Toe-up makes it easier to swing so that the the (all-important) impact position is more likely to be correct - for several reasons.

Why would you want to make it more difficult to hit the ball properly?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That argument is a very unconvincing one though. The Toe-up makes it easier to swing so that the the (all-important) impact position is more likely to be correct - for several reasons.

Why would you want to make it more difficult to hit the ball properly?

Not saying it isn't, what Im saying is it wont be for everyone. Have been professionals on tour who have addressed the ball heel up as its what has worked for their swing. When you have a fitting, the angles are measured at impact not address for a reason!

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Er. Not always! Not in 'Static' fittings.

But a 'proper' one should be both; Static first followed by Dynamic.

Isn't static fitting more to do with wrist to floor measurements etc?

I had this and a lie board check when I got fitted at the start of the year.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Just out of interest when someone's had both a static and a dynamic fit what results do they go with. The static, dynamic or a combination of both?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Just out of interest when someone's had both a static and a dynamic fit what results do they go with. The static, dynamic or a combination of both?

It really ends up with a combo of both, but the dynamic is the important one - as that's impact.

The initial static measurement determines the 'correct' shaft length and initial lie. Then, when a club of that spec is found/created, balls are hit off a lie board is to check that the scrape marks are in the right place - across the centre of the sole. No magic and nothing complicated about it!

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It really ends up with a combo of both, but the dynamic is the important one - as that's impact.

The initial static measurement determines the 'correct' shaft length and initial lie. Then, when a club of that spec is found/created, balls are hit off a lie board is to check that the scrape marks are in the right place - across the centre of the sole. No magic and nothing complicated about it!

So to try and transfer to numbers a static fit gets set at 'standard', you get a go on a lie board which says 2 degrees upright. Do you get fitted with a club standard (static) 1 degree upright between the two) or 2 degrees upright (dynamic).

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
So to try and transfer to numbers a static fit gets set at 'standard', you get a go on a lie board which says 2 degrees upright. Do you get fitted with a club standard (static) 1 degree upright between the two) or 2 degrees upright (dynamic).

All else being equal (nothing obvious in the swing that should change and affect the lie) the 2* upright - as that's the impact conditions, which is the important point.

In truth, I don't believe it's absolutely essential that they are absolutely spot on, as long as they are close all consistent - your body is surprisingly good at adjusting.

And it does make a difference! When I got fitted for a Driver, Precision also checked my MP30s against specs and asked me if I had trouble with a particular club. While they all varied from spec a little, the 6-iron, that I avoided because I couldn't hit it, was 5 iron loft, 3* different to all the others and 5* different from what I needed!. After resetting and a Dynamic fit, I was amazed how much cleaner I hit all the irons on the course! That variation is fairly typical of all OEMs btw, not just Mizuno.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
So are you and Fundy saying the same thing then?

That you go with the dynamic, but a static fit can be performed.

I've heard something similar as that a long time ago, in that people could fit a set based on a favourite club, which may often differ in it's characteristics from others in a set.