Iron hits go high

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Hello
I have two sets of irons. A modern srixon 785, and an old McGregor Muirfield Jack Nicklaus set of blades.
I am in my late seventies and play off 17, having been 11 twenty years ago!
For my age I hit reasonable length, some days play par golf for quite a few holes, but other days I go off piste big time more , lost balls, unplayable etc- hence the handicap.

I like to score well, of course, but I'm not overly competitive, just like to hit the ball well.
I love the blades. When I hit them well, its a great feeling. Better than when I hit the srixons well.

The thing is when I do hit them well, they go high- they don't bore low then high.
I don't always take a divot.
I know that is probably my slow swing speed, 90-95 for driver- but could the shaft be a cause?
I don't know the shaft flex of the blades- shaft bands are no longer there.
(On the 9 iron it's 20cms from hosel to first step)
The srixon are regular.

Any ideas please? TIA

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The big difference will be the ball. The modern balls tend to launch high hence modern lofts are stronger to keep it down. Older clubs were designed to work with the then current balls and they needed more loft to launch them for optimum performance.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Do both sets give a high ball flight?
It's probably due to the Angle of Attack, I think you may not be hitting down and maybe your wrists are flipping. Some time on a ball flight monitor should reveal what's happening.

Any chance of a video showing front and side on swings.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Thank you for the replies, chaps.
Ref the lofts- their is a one club difference throughout, I.e the 6 iron blade equals the 7 iron srixon.
Both fly high as described. And both go roughly the same distance allowing for the loft difference.
I understand what you are saying about the rainbow effect, and yes, somewhere I remember seeing about less spin is now desirable, even on irons, to the extent that the bore shot is not what it was. But I still have a feeling that bore means more penetration? Maybe not. Experts, what do you think, am I seeking old fashioned ,undesirable technique?

Ref the flipping. I have tried bowed wrist thingy. No good for me. I do not have strong wrists, nor do I pivot fast /far enough to create enough speed for the bowed wrist to work fully.
( I think deep down this would be the answer but can't work 'cos I'm now too damn old??)
I also have an inherent fault to hit with open face. ( when I swing too fast from the top).
When I'm "on song" it's because I slow the swing and roll the wrist Patrick Reed style.
I can't provide a video, unfortunately.