iPhone GPS?

bignev

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thinking of buying an iphone just so I can download a GPS App. My question is are they legal and can I use it during a comp. Anyone give a definate answer please? :D

stanny2k

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thinking of buying an iphone just so I can download a GPS App. My question is are they legal and can I use it during a comp. Anyone give a definate answer please? :D
I have an iPhone and a GPS App (http://golfshot.com/)
1 thing I would like to know, not sure if anyone has one, but is there some sort of holder that I can clip onto my trolley that fits an iPhone 3GS?

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
i have golfshot on my iphone and use it in comps ,one of the best out there at £18,i have a sun mountain trolley and keep it in the pocket beside the handle, perfect

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
Re the holder. I just use the armband sort and Velcro it around the handle hinge part of my GoKart. It's easily visible and easily used like this.

As for using it during comps. It's currently illegal due to apps that cannot be removed and the fact that certain apps are outlawed. Regardless whether they're installed or not. Silly rule, but the rule none the less.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
i have golfshot on my iphone and use it in comps ,one of the best out there at £18,i have a sun mountain trolley and keep it in the pocket beside the handle, perfect

Whether you like it or not, this makes you a cheat. Sorry, but it does.

I have seen guys doing this at my track too, and they think it doesn't matter. Makes me wonder what other rules they ignore.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site

Whether you like it or not, this makes you a cheat. Sorry, but it does.

I have seen guys doing this at my track too, and they think it doesn't matter. Makes me wonder what other rules they ignore.

well i've used for well over a year and never had anything said about it,calling me a cheat is a bit harsh considering we've never met

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It has been mentioned on here often enough that iphones are banned in comps. It is probably also on the notice boards of your club (or on it's web site) where the local rule is displayed re DMDs, and should state smart phones with compass apps are banned.

Whilst not setting out to be rude, what else do you call someone who wilfully breaks the (admittedly stupid) rules? You can't pick and choose which ones you follow.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thinking of buying an iphone just so I can download a GPS App.

WHY?????????

If you want a DMD, why not buy a dedicated (legal) device.

I suppose the only thing wrong with my Skycaddie is that I can't use it as a phone...... now, there's an idea.....

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
It has been mentioned on here often enough that iphones are banned in comps. It is probably also on the notice boards of your club (or on it's web site) where the local rule is displayed re DMDs, and should state smart phones with compass apps are banned.

Whilst not setting out to be rude, what else do you call someone who wilfully breaks the (admittedly stupid) rules? You can't pick and choose which ones you follow.

nothing in my club about it,but checked the sgu website and there not allowed and your right but no happy you calling me a cheat :)never really read the gps post here much as there's hundreds of them and all a bit boring

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Fair enough if you haven't read the numerous posts on gps, they do get repetitive. your club should definitely have the rule up on the board though. Mine does.

It's a daft rule, but til they change it, it stands. I'm sure alot of clubs just turn a blind eye to it any way.

Question is, in the next comp, will you use it? :p

stanny2k

Medal Winner
Visit site
I have a question about this. As long as these GPS Applications of iPhones show nothing but distance measurements, what is the problem? If they show more, then agreed, they are aiding the golfer more than DMD devices

i.e. No wind speeds, no green slope angles etc

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Fair enough if you haven't read the numerous posts on gps, they do get repetitive. your club should definitely have the rule up on the board though. Mine does.

It's a daft rule, but til they change it, it stands. I'm sure alot of clubs just turn a blind eye to it any way.

Question is, in the next comp, will you use it? :p

to be honest murph i hardly use it now ,we've got the distances to the front of the greens on our sprinkler heads so having been using them instead and getting on better to much info at times scrambles the brain.

so no is the answer to the question :)

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have a question about this. As long as these GPS Applications of iPhones show nothing but distance measurements, what is the problem? If they show more, then agreed, they are aiding the golfer more than DMD devices

iphones have a built in compass app that cannot be disabled. Whether you use it or not, because it is there, the device is banned.

stanny2k

Medal Winner
Visit site

iphones have a built in compass app that cannot be disabled. Whether you use it or not, because it is there, the device is banned.

what does the compass do apart from tell you where north is?

this is coming from someone who has an iphone..

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It doesn't matter what it does, compasses on the golf course are banned by the R&A. No idea why, they just are.

Same as measuring temperature. Not allowed. Don't know what you would do with the info, but banned none the less.

jammag

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think all gps or distance measuring devices should be banned anyway. I have golfshot and barely use it only to find out location of greens if it is a blind shot. But why should we have an advantage the pros dont get and something that 10 years ago never happened. Golf is meant to be about decisions you make and the risk you take so not knowing exact distances takes abit of the fun out of it. It should be about knowing what you can hit and remembering this not by checking a little display.

If people want to know exact yardages then they should go walk a course and then its on your judgement not anyone elses.