iPhone GPS?

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm on the fence a little, I must say.

I use a GPS, I doubt I even look at it as much as once every hole, but it's there if I need to know a distance, saving pacing and wandering around looking for 150 markers etc.etc.

I don't see how an iPhone app is going to be more helpful although the compass thing intrigues me. If I'm in a sheltered spot and am hitting to the green vs. someone who knows the "bearing" of the hole and also knows the wind tends to blow W-E or whatever.....I'd say I'm at a disadvantage. If would only take one hole in matchplay for me to lose the game.....if my opponent has information other than distance, that's enough for me to say the ban is justified.

I'm just playing devil's advocate t.b.h.

f.w.i.w. If I lose my skycaddie, it would be replaced through insurance. Losing a iPhone, regardless of having the actual "unit" replaced could be v.v.costly given what people have on them.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
Well let's ban analogue watches and the ability to use ones intelligence as well then. Whilst we're at it, let's ban any kind of trolley, as it's unfair to those who carry.

It's all a bit dumbass. Take the temperature reading ban on some golf trolleys. The clubhouse has a thermometer 50 yards from the first tee!!??

Just playing devils advocate. But most of us appear to see the ruling as being badly worded at best.

Losttheplot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yeah the ruling we all know by now (due to the repetitive debates we have on it) is poorly worded and will be interesting to see how the R&A adapt to it.

There's always rules like these that are poor so it's part n parcel of golf unfortunately.