iPhone GPS?

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think all gps or distance measuring devices should be banned anyway. I have golfshot and barely use it only to find out location of greens if it is a blind shot. But why should we have an advantage the pros dont get and something that 10 years ago never happened. Golf is meant to be about decisions you make and the risk you take so not knowing exact distances takes abit of the fun out of it. It should be about knowing what you can hit and remembering this not by checking a little display.

If people want to know exact yardages then they should go walk a course and then its on your judgement not anyone elses.

The pro's do use GPS systems (well, their caddies do) on practice days to get more accurate references and yardages for their strokesavers/yardage info that are used on comp days.

So the Pro's don't get GPS's but they have caddies in their place. So you can't really compare the two.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Wouldn't it be easier for apple to update the software without the offending feature and then offer it as an app, or for app companies making golf gps software tohavd their app block the offending feature that deems smart phone gps illegal ;)

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Now if the marketing dept at apple ready the amount of iPhone/gps threads that have been online I'm sure their realise that more golfers may buy iPhones if it doubled up as a legal dmd ;)

I bet more people use them for dmd purposes than for spirit levels.

jammag

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think all gps or distance measuring devices should be banned anyway. I have golfshot and barely use it only to find out location of greens if it is a blind shot. But why should we have an advantage the pros dont get and something that 10 years ago never happened. Golf is meant to be about decisions you make and the risk you take so not knowing exact distances takes abit of the fun out of it. It should be about knowing what you can hit and remembering this not by checking a little display.

If people want to know exact yardages then they should go walk a course and then its on your judgement not anyone elses.

The pro's do use GPS systems (well, their caddies do) on practice days to get more accurate references and yardages for their strokesavers/yardage info that are used on comp days.

So the Pro's don't get GPS's but they have caddies in their place. So you can't really compare the two.

Well yeah you can because they cannot use them in competition. Same as the Iphone app. I have no problem if people want to make references in a book or notepad to say this point is 150 yards to front of green so when they are in competition they can check there book and when they go on the wrong fairway they then have to judge it like the pros do.

Everyone says about keeping the spirit of the game and how it was played yet im suprised no one has ever mentioned gps systems before. I mean someone like Seve when he got in trouble he created a shot there and then. Now you could imagine someone climbing in a tree taking a gps reading then saying oh its definately a 9 iron from here and hitting it like that lol.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
But they don't need to use them in competition because the Caddy's already been round with a Laser marking every yardage he can in his book. Add to that the practice rounds, you'll see them all get their Lasers out - the posh ones that take gradient into account - and work out their yardages.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
But they don't need to use them in competition because the Caddy's already been round with a Laser marking every yardage he can in his book. Add to that the practice rounds, you'll see them all get their Lasers out - the posh ones that take gradient into account - and work out their yardages.

Exactly. This is the point I was trying to make. The caddy IS the GPS. Club golfers don't have the luxury of a caddy, usually, so the GPS is a replacement.

jammag

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Im not saying they dont use them in practice rounds and I have never seen an event where I have seen caddies get them out as I have only watched on tv. I just think its a shame that people dont just judge things with there own eyes rather than panicking because there is a bunker short of the green and they are not sure what to take, people now just get sky caddie out and go oh I only need this club and I will easily avoid that bunker. Just doesnt bring that risk into it as much. I love seeing it when a pro goes wrong off the tee and you see the caddie scribbling away trying to work out a yardage from certain points rather than just get out a sky caddie and get the exact yardage.

Also on a side note. Do you think golf clubs lose much in revenue due to people not needing a course guide so much as they can get a map of the course elsewhere?

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
It doesn't matter what it does, compasses on the golf course are banned by the R&A. No idea why, they just are.

This rule confuses me. Anyone wearing an analogue watch can use it as a compass if they know how. Also, many strokesavers have a diagram on each hole showing which way is north.

stanny2k

Medal Winner
Visit site
It doesn't matter what it does, compasses on the golf course are banned by the R&A. No idea why, they just are.

This rule confuses me. Anyone wearing an analogue watch can use it as a compass if they know how. Also, many strokesavers have a diagram on each hole showing which way is north.

Didnt you know watches are banned as well? sheesh! *rolls eyes*

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I mean someone like Seve when he got in trouble he created a shot there and then.

And of course he didn't ask his caddie for advice. You know, the one who had all the course information?
And he didn't ask for the caddies reassurance 5 or 6 times before executing the shot that he had the right club. And when the caddie said "Yes boss, you have the right club" he didn't question it and double check a couple more times before pulling the trigger?
Seve didn't do it all on his own. Nor does any other pro.
Sure they can hit the ball better than us. But I would love to see the scores they would rack up without the aid of a clued up bag man.
Now there's an idea for a competition!!
;) ;) ;) ;)

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
So on Saturday morning, in the medal, should I faff about pacing stuff out, consult my caddie, have a 20 minute arguement about distances (is that 175 or 173?), change clubs a few times, walk half way to the hole to have a look, come back, more exchanges with my caddie (who knows naff all, and is in fact a 12 year old kid earning some pocket money), and then fat it short and do it all again.

Or, have a quick look at my gps, get a club out, fat it short and get on with it?

This is why Pro's are out there for 6 long stupid hours. I don't have this amount of time.

stanny2k

Medal Winner
Visit site
So on Saturday morning, in the medal, should I faff about pacing stuff out, consult my caddie, have a 20 minute arguement about distances (is that 175 or 173?), change clubs a few times, walk half way to the hole to have a look, come back, more exchanges with my caddie (who knows naff all, and is in fact a 12 year old kid earning some pocket money), and then fat it short and do it all again.

Or, have a quick look at my gps, get a club out, fat it short and get on with it?

This is why Pro's are out there for 6 long stupid hours. I don't have this amount of time.
Im crying here! Too funny!

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interesting.........

The use of DMD is only allowed as a local rule agreed by the club committee whereas the use of DMD apps on some smart phones that have non-conforming capabilities is specifically not allowed under the rules.

Powerful man that to make up his own rule and over rule the R & A. :eek:

bignev

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Played today with a guy with the iphone app. Said to him dont give me the distances until ive worked them out by pacing. We did this for most of the round and I was never more than a couple of yards different than his phone so have concluded that at this time it would be a waste of money.Might consider it again when I get down to a lower handicap.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Played today with a guy with the iphone app. Said to him dont give me the distances until ive worked them out by pacing. We did this for most of the round and I was never more than a couple of yards different than his phone so have concluded that at this time it would be a waste of money.Might consider it again when I get down to a lower handicap.

Did this take extra time?
If you're happy gauging distances a GPS could save you time and shoe leather.....

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was thinking of getting the golfshot app for my iPhone 3GS but my course has no phone signal at all! Does it still work? And is it any good I'm not really a comp player so not bothered about that. Cheers.