App virgin needs to know the best way to do it

LIG

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
MyEG app vs igMember app vs no app

First off - Can I do without an app at all?

Your opinions on app functions and their user-friendliness.
Does one offer more functionality than the other?
What about glitches how often does it fail? (Reviews give some woeful scores that give cause for concern!)

I'm not keen on "in app purchases" - are these a requirement?

Thanks in advance.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site

What about glitches how often does it fail? (Reviews give some woeful scores that give cause for concern!)

Thanks in advance.
Yep.

I do.

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Depends what your needs are.

1) IG is best for club comps. Not compulsory as the club will have an alternative mechanism for comps.

2) EG can do rounds away (as General Play). Potentially can be done via submitting your away cards to the home club but much more slow/hassle (imo).

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
They do different things.

IG Member app is what we use for golf club stuff. i.e. you can see the competitions calendar, enter the comps, enter your score after the comp, see the results from comps, message other members to arrange matches. This depends if your club uses IG and not a different system of course.

MyEG is more just for you personally - you can see your handicap record, enter general play rounds at any course, add friends so you can see their rounds and their handicaps. You can also check the handicap record of the guy you're drawn against in the next round to see if he's a bandit or not. 😁

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site

Thanks in advance.
First of all, no, you don't need to use an app, you can just pre-register for GP scores and hand your card in after or in comps, just enter your score on the PSI as you always have done.

IG app is very user friendly, I use it to book in for tee times, comps, put money on my account, message people, check on future comps, and enter scores for comps too.

I also use EG, to keep an eye on my handicap, previous rounds, handicap history, you can also add 'friends' and see their latest scores too. My main use for it is to enter GP rounds and rounds at other courses.

Both are very stable apps with no in app purchases.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When it comes to IG app cost.
The basic version is free - tee time booking, checking your handicap and playing allowances, entering scores etc.
The full app cost is a pittance enables you to check account balance for example..

I have both apps. EG mainly because It means I can submit a GP score without the club being involved.

In the main when I use IG I use it via the clubs website which gives full functionality.

LIG

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Very illuminating. Thanks all. (y)

Will start without an app and see how easy/hard it is to submit GP scores - I don't see me playing many comps - ATM there's only one a month on weekdays while the weekends are jam-packed !

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Will all depend on what you need

IG app is mainly your home golf club app - from there you can manage everything you need at your home club - tee bookings , comp bookings , adding in your comp scores , topping up accounts , directory , club diary , club matches and also putting in general play cards

My EG App - used for home club and also away clubs - there you can put in GP scores from all away courses and also your home course , it also has HC calculator for all away courses , you can add friends from other courses

Most people use both Apps

They are both very easy to use and make your life a lot easier

Recommend getting both

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Very illuminating. Thanks all. (y)

Will start without an app and see how easy/hard it is to submit GP scores - I don't see me playing many comps - ATM there's only one a month on weekdays while the weekends are jam-packed !

Check your club to see how they look for GP scores

Using the App allows your score to be submitted without a scorecard and it’s a score that’s added to your record very quickly and doesn’t rely on your clubs HC committe having to check cards etc

Using the app makes life very easy for everyone