Invitation day problem

IanMcC

Visit site
I have written to Wales Golf spelling out the details. I would like to put a comment on Player A's WHS record, but I will let Wales Golf decide that, and also any sanctions for Player X.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I have written to Wales Golf spelling out the details. I would like to put a comment on Player A's WHS record, but I will let Wales Golf decide that, and also any sanctions for Player X.

Formal words on IT systems opens up a raft of legalise... names to Secs though is a must... Whatever next? Mug Shots on the 1st tee next to the Course Handicap Tables??

The days of two-pairs signing up to an Open and playing as a four ball must be in severe jeopardy.

IslaG

Visit site
Wouldn’t this fit the scenario “Impersonation for fraudulent reasons, for instance, to obtain money, goods or services will amount to criminal activity under the Fraud Act 2006 (FA 2006) for which the impersonator could face prosecution through the criminal courts for the offence of fraud or a similar type of offence. FA 2006 carries prison sentences varying between 12 months and ten years.” ?After all they deliberately impersonated another person in order to win a prize. 10 years in jail - that’ll stop ‘em

Last edited:

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Wouldn’t this fit the scenario “Impersonation for fraudulent reasons, for instance, to obtain money, goods or services will amount to criminal activity under the Fraud Act 2006 (FA 2006) for which the impersonator could face prosecution through the criminal courts for the offence of fraud or a similar type of offence. FA 2006 carries prison sentences varying between 12 months and ten years.” ?After all they deliberately impersonated another person in order to win a prize. 10 years in jail - that’ll stop ‘em

Blimey!!!!

i'd hate to think what sort of punishment you would propose for the repeated use of a leather wedge in the rough!! :D:D:D

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ian,
I think it was the right call to refer this to Golf Wales. It's serious enough to be well above what a club handicap secretary should have to handle and it has ramifications for the fraudsters way beyond one club competition. At your level, I would suggest you limit your action to the DQ of both pairs under 1.2a. It's a broad enough rule to cover the matter without opening up a route to weasily claims of not noticing the name on the card. Treat them all as complicit, DQ them and inform them that the whole matter had been referred to WG. That's what I would do.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Opens with Bandits playing off their own inflated Handicaps are bad enough.
But playing off someone else’s is taking the Pee.
Throw the book at them imo. It is fraud I agree.

When the marker was recording the scores did he ask “ was that a par for you John or you Mike/ Fred.
Other names are used to protect the innocent.
Could we really tell the difference between a 12 cap or a 26 cap??
I would like to think so but not guaranteed.
Goes to show how low people will go to win and big prizes for ams need to be stopped.!

IanMcC

Visit site
Update on this situation. No word back yet from Wales Golf. Our Director of Golf is relatively new, and he wanted to set an example. DQd them both under 1.2a, and cancelled their membership forthwith. This was after a meeting with the Secretary and myself and my committee. I raised concerns about DQing the marker, but he was adamant, and tbh I think it is the correct decision. It further came to light that these 2 came to our club in 2017 with warnings from their previous club anyway, as they were chucked out of there as well.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Update on this situation. No word back yet from Wales Golf. Our Director of Golf is relatively new, and he wanted to set an example. DQd them both under 1.2a, and cancelled their membership forthwith. This was after a meeting with the Secretary and myself and my committee. I raised concerns about DQing the marker, but he was adamant, and tbh I think it is the correct decision. It further came to light that these 2 came to our club in 2017 with warnings from their previous club anyway, as they were chucked out of there as well.

WOW ! Well done !

IslaG

Visit site
That’s player A who brought in the fake ‘ringer’ and the marker player X who were your club members dealt with Any repercussions planned / possible for the guest player B who knowingly impersonated someone else ?

IanMcC

Visit site
That’s player A who brought in the fake ‘ringer’ and the marker player X who were your club members dealt with Any repercussions planned / possible for the guest player B who knowingly impersonated someone else ?
He is not currently a member anywhere. Played off of 12 before WHS. I will leave it up to Wales Golf if they want to pursue him. There is a chance that he did not knowingly impersonate someone else. Slim, I know, but always a possibility.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
He is not currently a member anywhere. Played off of 12 before WHS. I will leave it up to Wales Golf if they want to pursue him. There is a chance that he did not knowingly impersonate someone else. Slim, I know, but always a possibility.
How could he not know.?
He’s scored the round of his life off 12. With 26 shots.
Most golfers I would wager know what sort of points tally they get given how they play.
Did they keep their own score in the markers column ? That will tell you if they knew imo.
Unless his partner was playing out of his skin.
Or he knows quite well.

They might not like the publicity about nomad golfers doing this .
It is very easy to do but how to police it is a major problem.

IanMcC

Visit site
How could he not know.?
He’s scored the round of his life off 12. With 26 shots.
Most golfers I would wager know what sort of points tally they get given how they play.
Did they keep their own score in the markers column ? That will tell you if they knew imo.
Unless his partner was playing out of his skin.
Or he knows quite well.

They might not like the publicity about nomad golfers doing this .
It is very easy to do but how to police it is a major problem.
I agree with all of this, but as he is not one of my members, I believe Wales Golf are the people to escalate things if they so desire.

D-S

Visit site
I’m playing with a lot of Golf Club Managers/Secretaries in a match at Newport this week and it will be interesting to see whether the ‘word has got around’ on this yet.