Investment Advice

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Premium Bonds are a decent short term safe place to hold your money. If you invest end of month, you then go into draw just over a month later. You can withraw in just a few days, so virtually instant access. Your only risk is having no wins, and losing the interest you would have got from a Cash ISA.

If you invest in stocks and shares, collective investments etc for just a year you are taking high risk. Personally I never 'invested' for clients for less than five years. Also if you need your money a short notice, I can guarantee the markets have just fallen !! Think it is called Sods Law. Investors that did best in stocks and shares were those that could pick and choose when to sell, and not have a deadline date.

If not Premium Bonds than a Cash ISA

Last edited:

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Bonds are safe.

ISA's are average.

Crypto is high risk - high reward.

If investments arent your passion, id say stay away from it. I'd just leave your money where it is and keep saving.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
I invested £14500 in a stocks and shares ISA in Jan this year and already made £1000 after fees. As previously mentioned, the markets are bouncing back so is a good time to invest. My portfolio is spread across the world markets and is medium risk.
Make sure you get proper advice and not just from us lot on here ?

Seriously I put the same amount into Crypto in January, it’s worth £62k this morning and I expect it to go way higher....It’s crazy volatile though and I don’t really recommend it to anyone that can’t afford to lose their funds.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
he said it is for house purchase 5 year fixed hardly fits the bill.
That's exactly my point. He only wants to invest for 1 year. People have suggested a cash ISA will yield 1%, and I want to know where, because I haven't seen better than about 0.45%

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's exactly my point. He only wants to invest for 1 year. People have suggested a cash ISA will yield 1%, and I want to know where, because I haven't seen better than about 0.45%

Read the Terms and conditions on a 5 year fix. They are normally- if you withdraw the money in less than 5 years you only get the standard rate on any amount withdrawn.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I got max Premium bond holdings over 20 years ago and won £1000 in the first month.
Averaged between 5 to 2% a year since.
Lady Doon also got holdings and she has also done well.
I look on payments as dividends which are re invested...not winnings.

Dannyc

Visit site
Seriously I put the same amount into Crypto in January, it’s worth £62k this morning and I expect it to go way higher....It’s crazy volatile though and I don’t really recommend it to anyone that can’t afford to lose their funds.
I don’t think cryptos are that high risk anymore I think it helps with the security of them by having them stored in offline wallets u are your own bank after all
I put 2 same amounts in cryptos and normal stocks
Cryptos are up over 100%
Normal stocks down 10%
Says it all for me

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I got max Premium bond holdings over 20 years ago and won £1000 in the first month.
Averaged between 5 to 2% a year since.
Lady Doon also got holdings and she has also done well.
I look on payments as dividends which are re invested...not winnings.

When my mum died there was a small inheritance for the children and the money was put in to premium bonds. My daughter was the lucky one if only she knew many of her presents came for her premium bond wins.

I think the forecast return is currently1.5% for a maximum holding since they reduced the lowest prize to £25 (The prize fund is only 1% of the total holdings). So if you are lucky..........

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
I don’t think cryptos are that high risk anymore I think it helps with the security of them by having them stored in offline wallets u are your own bank after all
Cryptos are up over 100%
Normal stocks down 10%
Says it all for me

When I say risk I mean just lumping your funds into something like Bitcoin right now and losing 30% in the next two months. (Or buying any coin too high) rather than the security risk.
You have to do your own research (as I’m sure you know) and try to avoid the dreaded FOMO!

Spoke to my accountant in the week and was surprised that the capital gains was only 20% after my £12k CG allowance. Not too bad really.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
TBH I wouldn’t be buying any shares in any individual company, unless I knew what I was doing and had a large portfolio that was diverse enough to spread the risk.

Eggs in one basket is to be avoided

I’d be looking at a managed stocks n shares ISA (Or General Investment Account if you have used your ISA allowance) from the likes of Moneyfarm (other providers are available)

Mod Note…Any advice on this forum is not to be relied on and GM can take no responsibility for any losses incurred as a result of following this advise ?

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Read the Terms and conditions on a 5 year fix. They are normally- if you withdraw the money in less than 5 years you only get the standard rate on any amount withdrawn.
I think you and I are speaking entirely different languages, because you haven't understood my point, and I thought I was being perfectly clear (but obviously I wasn't).
At no point did I suggest he gets a 5 year fixed rate ISA. I only mentioned that if you want to get 1%, that's the term you'll have to commit to.
Let me try once more:
- I know he only wants to invest for 1 year
- The best cash ISA interest rate I can find over 1 year is about 0.45%
- Others in this thread have suggested he could get 1%
- I'd like to know where this 1% cash ISA over a 1 year term is (so I can get one)

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Cryptos are up over 100%
Normal stocks down 10%
Says it all for me
Not high risk? :eek:

Whatever their theoretical merits (and there are some), the current state of crypto currency speculation is just another south sea bubble waiting to go bang in a big way.
IF you get out at the right time, you'll make a killing.
But if you don't you'll lose your shirt.

Dannyc

Visit site
Not high risk? :eek:

Whatever their theoretical merits (and there are some), the current state of crypto currency speculation is just another south sea bubble waiting to go bang in a big way.
IF you get out at the right time, you'll make a killing.
But if you don't you'll lose your shirt.

Time will tell I suppose mate
A investment group got me into it
From advice I’m given if all what there trying to do works in ten years anyone still invested will be laughing
If not I’m not in massively anyway unlike the billion and half that Tesla owner has just put in
Wish me luck

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Tip for holders of old premium bonds. Sell them and but new ones. New numbers always do better.(y):unsure:

If you are 'investing' get qualified financial advice, and don't invest for short term unless you are prepared to take high risk. I have a little experience having been an IFA for 30 plus years.;) Talking about equity based investments for someone that wants to use money for a house next year is daft. That is a gamble. To Colc FC, premium bonds and ISA's are a safe home for your money short term.(y)