Investment Advice

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
A £5 premium bond bought by my parents for me in the early 1960s for my birthday when that was about a week’s wage for my dad has won nothing and in terms of cost it was a very significant outlay. My £15 in total premium bonds from that time were worth a lot back then, an investment that has won nothing and is worth £15 today ?
There's an exception to every rule.
Back in the 1970s my (now) father-in-law had precisely £2 of bonds and won £1000.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There are different forms of risk and you cannot avoid risk. Over 5- 10years so called low risk investments are at quite significant risk of losing value due to inflation. Personally over this kind of timescale for my children I would take equity risk every time and invest in a junior ISA.

totally agree about equities all the way for kids and most people with a medium-long term horizon.

nebertheless, we are a very tricky time to predict the next five years or more as pretty much all asset classes are at all time highs - Apple and Microsoft are worth around 2 trillion each! Realistically, it is hard to justify these levels and to see how they can go much higher. But there are plenty of decent high-dividend-paying value equities that are at lowly PEs and decent prospects for continued payouts - i would be looking at these types of Value/ income funds - also UK equities are cheap to most other regions.

Goverment and Investment Grade bond funds are in a sticky placce with interest rates low and could easily lose money over the next few years. High yield funds offer much better options over the next 5 years or so (interset rates are very likely to rise) as they are much shorter duration with much higher yields - but ovbviously more risk and volatility

And house prices will likely suffer a similar fate if interest rates rise!

Red devil

Visit site
Do you ever see Warren Buffet investing in cryptocurrencies or NFT's? Err no. Think he knows something about investment.
Get some sound financial advice from an independent advisor

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Agree with @fundy .. do your own research. Only you know your risk profile and timelines better than anyone. What happens if you find the perfect house in 6 months?

Having said all that.
1) safest is Premium Bonds. Go in with the idea that you may not win anything. But equally you won’t lose your capital

2) slightly better is instant access isa .. MSE is a good site to compare

3) if you want to invest in funds, then buy it in chunks at regular intervals rather than 16k in one go. 1k a month for the next 12 months, that way you still have 4K left (or put that in PB). Buy a cheap index tracker via an ISA - that way you can keep all the money. US markets likely to do better than U.K. in the next 12 months or so. Esp with Bidens new inflation bill which is investing heavily in infrastructure. You will lose some money on FX since GBP is going to be a roller coaster for some time. More reason for adopting a monthly systematic plan. 1k into fund and 300 into PB

4) more risky .. then direct stock. But won’t recommend it due to your timescales. I am a big Tesla fan, so I try and buy it. It’s trading at $290 today with a target of 350-400 by year end. Always take such with pinch of salt. I had 9K for kitchen revamp. I put it into Tesla and it has dropped 20%. So very risky to go direct stock.

If you are looking to go long term then there will be bargains to be had on fundamentally good stocks. But not for you at the moment.

You should not get into any other exotic instruments like options, fx, nft, cryptos, commodities, gilts etc, unless you know what you are doing and/or have help & guidance on it

ps: never take advice from me re finance or golf (or any thing else for that matter)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Agree with @fundy .. do your own research. Only you know your risk profile and timelines better than anyone. What happens if you find the perfect house in 6 months?

Having said all that.
1) safest is Premium Bonds. Go in with the idea that you may not win anything. But equally you won’t lose your capital

2) slightly better is instant access isa .. MSE is a good site to compare

3) if you want to invest in funds, then buy it in chunks at regular intervals rather than 16k in one go. 1k a month for the next 12 months, that way you still have 4K left (or put that in PB). Buy a cheap index tracker via an ISA - that way you can keep all the money. US markets likely to do better than U.K. in the next 12 months or so. Esp with Bidens new inflation bill which is investing heavily in infrastructure. You will lose some money on FX since GBP is going to be a roller coaster for some time. More reason for adopting a monthly systematic plan. 1k into fund and 300 into PB

4) more risky .. then direct stock. But won’t recommend it due to your timescales. I am a big Tesla fan, so I try and buy it. It’s trading at $290 today with a target of 350-400 by year end. Always take such with pinch of salt. I had 9K for kitchen revamp. I put it into Tesla and it has dropped 20%. So very risky to go direct stock.

If you are looking to go long term then there will be bargains to be had on fundamentally good stocks. But not for you at the moment.

You should not get into any other exotic instruments like options, fx, nft, cryptos, commodities, gilts etc, unless you know what you are doing and/or have help & guidance on it

ps: never take advice from me re finance or golf (or any thing else for that matter)

Hindsight a wonderful thing :)

Wonder if Colch ever did win the premium bonds lol

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Tesla had a share split Mudball? 3:1?

Yeah I caught that one and the prev split too.. so I am quids in

I re-entered post split at around 315 and now in big paper loss. However I can let it run as I liquidate some of my pre-split to cover. Also with near dollar parity, it gives me another 20% of free money when I sell them.

I do expect them to split 2-1 in the next 24-36 months again.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yeah I caught that one and the prev split too.. so I am quids in

I re-entered post split at around 315 and now in big paper loss. However I can let it run as I liquidate some of my pre-split to cover. Also with near dollar parity, it gives me another 20% of free money when I sell them.

I do expect them to split 2-1 in the next 24-36 months again.

Yep cant let people realise how expensive the shares have actually got compared to their performance, gotta keep splitting them ;)

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yep cant let people realise how expensive the shares have actually got compared to their performance, gotta keep splitting them ;)

It is a tech company that happens to make cars. The valuations just don’t make any sense. I don’t care as long as it pays for the kitchen ..