Intermittent fasting

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not from my experience it's not. Tried a number of things years ago when I was sporting and the only thing that worked was being hungry most of the time. Maybe the understanding of things has changed since a decade ago but I couldn't lose weight unless I was just hungry.
You were eating the wrong foods.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
You have moved the goal posts, you said constantly. I read that as, constantly. 600 cal a day is extreme.
Sorry, yes I did a bit but the same holds true for both. I'd like to know what you're eating to make you feel full.
I've done IF for a number of years to maintain my weight and if I need to lose weight I just need to go hungry.
Does body shape or how much weight you need to lose matter?

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Personally I do better when I stop thinking about exercise as a calorie burner rather than on a way to be fitter and healthier. That mindset means it's more about quality than quantity and, for me, is a healthier mindset.

With you on this. Haven't been to the gym/spin class for about 3/4 weeks and didn't realise how much I'd missed until I went today. Had a few rubbish weeks at work and feel great now I've been to spin.

Trying to lose weight again, doing dry January and intend to carry on into Feb and definitely cut back on the booze. Eating healthier, WFH so should be able to maintain it and really need to start making these changes permanent. Not getting any younger!!

The calorie tracking apps are good to help you keep on track, input your exercise and try be deficit. We all want instant results unfortunately and I've found time and time again that it takes time.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Unfortunately the bit in bold is not quite correct, and that is where people end up fibbing to themselves to try and justify the extra takeaway or extra portion. Yes, a round of golf takes 3.5-4 hours but you aren’t walking for this amount of time. A 4 hour steady walk would be about 12-16 miles, much more than a round of golf. Also, those who say, I spent over an hour at the gym so can have a few pints might also be kidding themselves if they count getting changed, waiting between reps, swapping machines (including wiping them down afterward) etc. They may only be exercising for half the time they think they are.
That's all true. But when I used to use My Fitness Pal they still reckoned a round of golf burned 1000 calories! I thought that was a bit over the top so I used to write 120 minutes instead of the full time to make it a little more realistic.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not from my experience it's not. Tried a number of things years ago when I was sporting and the only thing that worked was being hungry most of the time. Maybe the understanding of things has changed since a decade ago but I couldn't lose weight unless I was just hungry.
I agree with you. I'm always hungry as it is, let alone when dieting. If I ate every time I was hungry I'd have 5 meals a day. :LOL: If that means I'm 'eating the wrong food' then so be it, but unfortunately the 'wrong foods' seem to be the only ones that taste palatable.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's all true. But when I used to use My Fitness Pal they still reckoned a round of golf burned 1000 calories! I thought that was a bit over the top so I used to write 120 minutes instead of the full time to make it a little more realistic.
You probably do burn a 1000 calories in 4 hours. You need to look at how many extra calories you have burnt. So if you stood on the first tee for 4 hours and didn't move you would still burn calories (400). The activity itself is about 100 cals per mile. If that makes sense?
Sitting on the sofa watching TV burns calories

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You probably do burn a 1000 calories in 4 hours. You need to look at how many extra calories you have burnt. So if you stood on the first tee for 4 hours and didn't move you would still burn calories (400). The activity itself is about 100 cals per mile. If that makes sense?
Sitting on the sofa watching TV burns calories
I know you mean - but I just checked it again on MFP, 'Golf pulling clubs' for 240 minutes it says 1349 calories burned. It just seems wildly over-the-top when my daily allowance was only 1750 ish. If I put 'carrying clubs' it goes up to 1412 calories burned. I was always cautious to put the activities on the slightly lower side to ensure I was at a deficit, if you know what I mean. So I would put 2 or 3 hours instead of 3.5 or 4 to be on the safer side.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry, yes I did a bit but the same holds true for both. I'd like to know what you're eating to make you feel full.
I've done IF for a number of years to maintain my weight and if I need to lose weight I just need to go hungry.
Does body shape or how much weight you need to lose matter?

Vegetables, lots of veg! Eat the rainbow!

100g of broccoli 31 kcal
100g of carrots 29 kcal
100g of Kale 26 kcal
100g of baby corn 31 kcal
100g of cabbage 17 kca
100g of fennel 11 kcal
100g of beetroot 53kcal
100g sprouts 32 kcal
100g artichoke 18 kcal
100g of courgette 15 kcal

So above is 1KG of cooked veg, 263 kcal... you would not be hungry after that lot!!! So it can be done very easily, but people chose not to.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree with you. I'm always hungry as it is, let alone when dieting. If I ate every time I was hungry I'd have 5 meals a day. :LOL: If that means I'm 'eating the wrong food' then so be it, but unfortunately the 'wrong foods' seem to be the only ones that taste palatable.

5 small meals a day might be best for you!

If the 'right foods' are not palatable, cook them differently, add them to a ragu, make stews, rice jumbles, hash's. If you really want to lose weight, it's actually very easy. You just need to focus. But if it doesn't taste like Nando's or like Mama used to make, its probably for a reason, and that reason might be why people are trying to lose weight to start with....

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Vegetables, lots of veg! Eat the rainbow!

100g of broccoli 31 kcal
100g of carrots 29 kcal
100g of Kale 26 kcal
100g of baby corn 31 kcal
100g of cabbage 17 kca
100g of fennel 11 kcal
100g of beetroot 53kcal
100g sprouts 32 kcal
100g artichoke 18 kcal
100g of courgette 15 kcal

So above is 1KG of cooked veg, 263 kcal... you would not be hungry after that lot!!! So it can be done very easily, but people chose not to.

How sustainable is that though? There's no protein or fat in that. I take it that's just one meal a day? The others have at least some nuts or lean meat or whatever.

I have to say I do eat a lot of veg and never feel full after it. Routinely have 4 different veg portions with dinner. However I've never eaten it in that quantity in one sitting. My bum would be like a sprinkler head after that lot ?.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
How sustainable is that though? There's no protein or fat in that. I take it that's just one meal a day? The others have at least some nuts or lean meat or whatever.

I have to say I do eat a lot of veg and never feel full after it. Routinely have 4 different veg portions with dinner. However I've never eaten it in that quantity in one sitting. My bum would be like a sprinkler head after that lot ?.

That obviously was not a meal, I was making a point.

You would have that as part of a balanced meal with some protein and a carb, some examples below. but you could pick 2 or 3 of the veg, pile it high, then have a protein and carb from below for a proper decent meal under 500 kcal

Protiens
150g chicken breast baked 230kcal
120g salmon fillet baked 278kcal
200g bean chilli 150kcal (approx)

Carbs
120g baked sweet potato 130kcal
120g wholemeal pasta 180kcal
150g bulgar wheat 120kcal
125g brown rice 165kcal

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
In all of human history (approx. 250,000 - 300,000 years) it is only THIS GENERATION that has ever been majority overweight.
All this talk about diet and exercise to fix the problem is just plain wrong.

Where is the proof that diet and exercise works?
Go on, tell me.

And it can only get worse until people realise it doesn't work and can never work.
Health systems can only do so much and are likely to break.

I'll repeat the only thing that works is when calories in are limited to less than calories out over any time frame.
The responsibility for this can only be taken by the individual.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In all of human history (approx. 250,000 - 300,000 years) it is only THIS GENERATION that has ever been majority overweight.
All this talk about diet and exercise to fix the problem is just plain wrong.

Where is the proof that diet and exercise works?
Go on, tell me.

And it can only get worse until people realise it doesn't work and can never work.
Health systems can only do so much and are likely to break.

I'll repeat the only thing that works is when calories in are limited to less than calories out over any time frame.
The responsibility for this can only be taken by the individual.
So you diet to limit calories in and exercise to maximise calories out :unsure:. Seems you manage to defeat your own argument in subsequent paragraphs.

Red devil

Visit site
I reached 60 last year and realised I'm nearer the grave than the cradle and decided to get a grip on my health.
Now what I write here is not a recommendation or a critique of what others are doing it's just what I've done and the results.
I do shift work in a sedentary job, I drive trains, diabetes is rife in my profession but thankfully I don't have it, nor want it.
I was at least 2 stone overweight and raised blood pressure, having a stroke puts the fear of God in me.
So I hit Google and came across a Dr Jason Fung who advocated IF and a lo carb diet he explained it in a language I understood so I decided to give it a go.
I IF from end of dinner on Monday to breakfast Wednesday, 36hrs, I repeat this from on Wednesday to Friday another 36hrs. I just have water, a coffee with a splash of milk in the morning and maybe a green tea in the afternoon. Mon,Wed and Friday I go to the gym for a session of compound weight training and 30 mins cardio.
I'm not saying going without food is easy, it isn't one does get hunger pangs especially around 17.00 but then I have my green tea.
I have generally lost 2-3lbs a week, be aware this isn't a rapid quick fix and my blood pressure has come down from 144/94 to 119/78 this morning, no meds.
I didn't follow the low carb diet, I like a pint on a Friday with my mate too much. But it seems to be ok.
I'm not suggesting anyone try it or if it's the right way,just saying it works for me and I'm sticking with it.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site

I think he was just making a point of how much volume of food you get for such a small amount of calories. Adding a chicken breast to the above wouldn't be problem.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
So you diet to limit calories in and exercise to maximise calories out :unsure:. Seems you manage to defeat your own argument in subsequent paragraphs.
Just to burn off a bacon roll takes 30 minutes of running.
Our forefathers never needed to do that or take out gym memberships.
No matter how much exercise you do it will never be enough.
Dieting is paradoxically likely to put on weight.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just to burn off a bacon roll takes 30 minutes of running.
Our forefathers never needed to do that or take out gym memberships.
No matter how much exercise you do it will never be enough.
Dieting is paradoxically likely to put on weight.
Our forefathers didn't have cars, ready made food, uber eats, tractors, diggers, ploughing machines and automatic planters. They also did have access to extremely high calorie dense food such as kebabs and pizza's.
Activity was high just to stay alive

Please explain how a diet puts on weight. Enlighten me