Intermittent fasting

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
10g was a throwaway comment. I Like the rest of the ur comment.. very helpful. Though I don’t really plan to measure my guns.
as you said, trouser is a bit loose. Another key is that my wedding ring starting to slide off.. ?
Yep. Wedding ring resizing is a common one. Sounds like you've got some momentum going ?

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
End of the first month. I have to admit , I haven’t followed it to the letter.

Bad behaviour:

1) I skip breakie almost everyday. Every Sat it is a full English with the school dads as we wait for the boys to finish their games.

2) still doing takeaways atleast once a week. This is more around convenience due to work-school scheduling

3) Grazing on Graze protein snack. Sometimes during the ‘fasting’ period.

good behaviour:
1) Mostly off the sauce. Maybe a couple of beers/whiskey during the month.
2) Cardio and a bit of (light) weights added every week
3) 45 mins - 1 hour squash once or twice a week.
4) Atleast 2 litres of water everyday

Result:
1) I ‘feel’ lighter - maybe placebo
2) there is a bit of muscle mass (I think)
3) Weight has dropped a bit. Starts with a different number ?.
4) have lost about 3.2% in the month. This may be just losing some water. Mind you, I have a very high base weight to start with.

CE15EF50-8FCE-45EC-9843-E354CA0A0275.jpeg

Overall happy to continue into second month.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thought I'd ask on here rather start another thread as there's been some really good advice given.

Made changes to my diet since Nov/Dec, had high blood pressure so made the changes like less alcohol/more exercise/more fruit and veg and have been spinning 3 times a week doing between 45-55 miles. Lost around a stone and feel loads better in myself, clothes loosening and people starting to notice a difference. Just wondering now if I should spend some time in the gym on weights etc to keep going or stick to the spinning? Love spinning but wondered if a weight session would help with weight loss and tightening up the wobbly bits more than just spinning?

I'm under 13st for the first time in about 5/6 years. Lightest I've been is probably around 12st which is where I want to get to and possibly beyond.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thought I'd ask on here rather start another thread as there's been some really good advice given.

Made changes to my diet since Nov/Dec, had high blood pressure so made the changes like less alcohol/more exercise/more fruit and veg and have been spinning 3 times a week doing between 45-55 miles. Lost around a stone and feel loads better in myself, clothes loosening and people starting to notice a difference. Just wondering now if I should spend some time in the gym on weights etc to keep going or stick to the spinning? Love spinning but wondered if a weight session would help with weight loss and tightening up the wobbly bits more than just spinning?

I'm under 13st for the first time in about 5/6 years. Lightest I've been is probably around 12st which is where I want to get to and possibly beyond.
Despite popular belief weight training isn't a good fat burner. Weight training during fat loss is beneficial to retain the muscles you have whilst in a calories deficit.
The Wobbly bits you refer to are not attached to muscle so no amount of weight training will tighten them. The wobbly bits go away as your overall fat reduces.
Theres no harm in weight training (and many benefits) but it sounds like you achieving fantastic results so at the moment just stick to what you are doing

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site

I was very good following my intermittent fasting in my first month. I managed to reduce a bit of weight. My second month has not been good. Too much work related pressure, social drinking etc. But i tried to skip as many breakfasts as possible. However, I do 30 mins of cardio about 5 days a week. Usually this is on a stationary bike. i realised my legs getting stronger, but the top half had/has wobbly bits. So i added some (light) weights. I am usually now doing single dumbbells' while I am on the bike. The heart levels goes up as soon as I pick up the weights. I do 3 min intensive bike followed by 5 mins of slower bike. I usually do the weights during the slower interval. I must say, this has been terrific. I feel some of the biceps shaping up, stronger back. I still have plenty of wobbly bits around the tummy and love handles. So when i get off the bike, I do some crunches. In those 5 days, i now fit in 2 rounds of squash. The best cardio in world None of this is perfect, but i can fit all this into my regular WFH cycles.

Re weight, in the last month, I haven't lost any weight. But I haven't gained any either despite the booze and food overload. I must say, I feel good.

@hovis .. i had an interesting conversation with someone and he mentioned that one should not do a whole body exercise every day. Rather focus on group of muscles on specific days. When i am on the bike + weights, i am pushing most of my muscles at the same time. I do some of the core at the end. So pretty much full body for me. Is there a right way ? should I be doing (nearly) full body 5 days a week?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was very good following my intermittent fasting in my first month. I managed to reduce a bit of weight. My second month has not been good. Too much work related pressure, social drinking etc. But i tried to skip as many breakfasts as possible. However, I do 30 mins of cardio about 5 days a week. Usually this is on a stationary bike. i realised my legs getting stronger, but the top half had/has wobbly bits. So i added some (light) weights. I am usually now doing single dumbbells' while I am on the bike. The heart levels goes up as soon as I pick up the weights. I do 3 min intensive bike followed by 5 mins of slower bike. I usually do the weights during the slower interval. I must say, this has been terrific. I feel some of the biceps shaping up, stronger back. I still have plenty of wobbly bits around the tummy and love handles. So when i get off the bike, I do some crunches. In those 5 days, i now fit in 2 rounds of squash. The best cardio in world None of this is perfect, but i can fit all this into my regular WFH cycles.

Re weight, in the last month, I haven't lost any weight. But I haven't gained any either despite the booze and food overload. I must say, I feel good.

@hovis .. i had an interesting conversation with someone and he mentioned that one should not do a whole body exercise every day. Rather focus on group of muscles on specific days. When i am on the bike + weights, i am pushing most of my muscles at the same time. I do some of the core at the end. So pretty much full body for me. Is there a right way ? should I be doing (nearly) full body 5 days a week?
A full body workout 5 says a week is OK if your taking it relatively easy. If you're working hard then yeh, you need to split them up. YouTube "3 day split" plenty of info out there for you

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A full body workout 5 says a week is OK if your taking it relatively easy. If you're working hard then yeh, you need to split them up. YouTube "3 day split" plenty of info out there for you

Tx.. i think it is fairly easy. Gets cardio to about 60-70% for 30 mins. have been increasing the dumbell size slowly.. Squash can take to 80... Will check out 3 day split.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Another question. I've always gone straight to the spin room and gone hell for leather for 45/60 minutes and tried to beat my last mileage/hill climb etc. Yesterday I went up to the gym room and went on the bike up there and did a 45 minute program and tried to cycle within the 65% heart rate range and it got me questioning if I should be doing this style of training to loss weight rather than blasting it for 45 like I have been?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Another question. I've always gone straight to the spin room and gone hell for leather for 45/60 minutes and tried to beat my last mileage/hill climb etc. Yesterday I went up to the gym room and went on the bike up there and did a 45 minute program and tried to cycle within the 65% heart rate range and it got me questioning if I should be doing this style of training to loss weight rather than blasting it for 45 like I have been?
A much better way imo. Same reason jogging (best on grass or a machine) is better than sprints for such a goal. Though an occasional 'rip it' session can be beneficial for both results and attitude.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
A much better way imo. Same reason jogging (best on grass or a machine) is better than sprints for such a goal. Though an occasional 'rip it' session can be beneficial for both results and attitude.

Agreed, 80:20 is a decent rule, where 80% of your CV work is "Easy" and the 20% is hard. and easy should be really easy!! If you run your quickest parkrun for example in 30 minutes, a 32 minute parkrun is not easy pace, should be 35+ Your Hard though, should be really hard, hill repeats, sprints, threshold etc (Same for bike/run/swim etc)