Intermittent fasting

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
What prehistoric/paleolithic humans consumed was indeed what they could hunt and gather. But that doesn't mean it was the best diet for them, simply the easist to obtain. And if you look at the evolutionary development of humans, particularly size, over millenia, it demonstrates that availability of food via farming/production cf hunting/gathering has been one of major contributors to that development.

So did they eat Paleo or Keto

D

Deleted member 16999

Was that not paleo?
It was a throw away comment, but always thought paleo had an element of exercise and mindfulness to it, which I doubt occurred to our ancestors, keto is more about macro’s but still basic food stuffs, Both share many common characteristics.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Keto diet is dangerous and unsustainable.

https://www.uchicagomedicine.org/fo...ss-articles/ketogenic-diet-what-are-the-risks

How did you ever get to being 17 stone. What is your BMI?
I weigh a little over 9 stone and my BMI is 21.5.
I don't need to take lessons in how little I know about eating.
I'm now 6ft 4 and 15 stone. I've been into weight lifting all my life. The fact that you are quoting BMI speaks volumes. The keto diet is not dangerous at all. However I agree, for 99% of people it's definitely not sustainable

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Pass. Veg apart, to me they seem to have lots of similarities/crossover.

Cut and paste sums it up quite well, I always saw Paleo as allowing carbs, keto not (extremely limited)

The ketogenic diet is characterized by its high fat and very low carbohydrate content. It may be effective for weight loss and blood sugar control.

The paleo diet emphasizes eating whole foods that were thought to be available to humans in the Paleolithic era. It also encourages exercise and other wellness practices.

Both diets have the potential to positively impact your health when appropriately planned.

However, long-term research regarding safety and efficacy of these diet plans is lacking and some of the restrictions can be difficult to maintain.

For most people, the paleo diet is a better choice because it has more flexibility with food choices than keto, which makes it easier to maintain long-term.

At the end of the day, the diet that works long-term for you is the best choice.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm now 6ft 4 and 15 stone. I've been into weight lifting all my life. The fact that you are quoting BMI speaks volumes. The keto diet is not dangerous at all. However I agree, for 99% of people it's definitely not sustainable

I tried it, couldn't do it. was having to have bulletproof coffee etc and blugh! I love the idea of being able to solely (almost) have fat as your primary fuel source, I know endurance athletes on it as a lifestyle and they do not hit the wall!

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
There's considerable evidence that skipping breakfast doesn't help weight loss and can actually be 'detrimental' to health.
Better imo, to reduce 'lunch' than eliminate breakfast, though certainly change from 'full English' to something smaller - a bowl of porridge for example.

Btw. If you don't have breakfast, doesn't lunch become 'breakfast' anyway? :):rolleyes::giggle:
There isn't really any reputable evidence. There's no money on telling people not to eat. You never know who's funding the reasarch you read.
Considering the muscles and liver store around 2500/3500 calories of sugar (average male). Then missing breakfast isn't a big deal. If your goal is physical performance related then absolutely breakfast is vital.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
If your goal is physical performance related then absolutely breakfast is vital.

I'm gonna pick your brains on this point, what are your thoughts on fasted training. The reason being, a lot of my training is done at 5AM. I am not getting up even earlier so I can have a bowl of porridge!! So am I missing out by doing these sessions fasted? (Longest session fasted may be up to 2hrs, but will be on the bike, so I may have a carb drink and or some snacks)

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I tried it, couldn't do it. was having to have bulletproof coffee etc and blugh! I love the idea of being able to solely (almost) have fat as your primary fuel source, I know endurance athletes on it as a lifestyle and they do not hit the wall!
One of the keto benefits I dismiss is performance. It just isn't going to happen on a keto diet. I went from bench pressing 110kg to 75kg in 1 month and didn't get my strength back until I finished the diet. I can see how it might make people feel more energetic if they was previously on a very poor diet but that's not the keto. That's just cutting out the crap

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm gonna pick your brains on this point, what are your thoughts on fasted training. The reason being, a lot of my training is done at 5AM. I am not getting up even earlier so I can have a bowl of porridge!! So am I missing out by doing these sessions fasted? (Longest session fasted may be up to 2hrs, but will be on the bike, so I may have a carb drink and or some snacks)
Absolutely fine. I train fasted each morning at 6.30am. You just have to make sure your last meal the night before had a decent amount of cabs in. If I eat before training I actually suffer performance wise. So for me it's a pint of water and a pre workout and off I go

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Absolutely fine. I train fasted each morning at 6.30am. You just have to make sure your last meal the night before had a decent amount of cabs in. If I eat before training I actually suffer performance wise. So for me it's a pint of water and a pre workout and off I go

My thoughts too and I eat well in the evenings! Just seen some opinions about dismissing fasted training..

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
My thoughts too and I eat well in the evenings! Just seen some opinions about dismissing fasted training..
Easy way to find out. Measure your performance. Try fasted and non and see for yourself. I guarantee they'll be no difference. Don't get me wrong, if you wake up at 6am and train fasted at 10 you might notice it. But you're pretty much rolling out of bed into the gym. No issues mate

Also, Google "Dawn effect" . Not just applicable to diabetics

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16999

Not so much on fasted training, but have either of you found an optimal “time” to train, regardless of when you eat, ie, prefer mornings over evenings etc or has your training adapted to lifestyle?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not so much on fasted training, but have either of you found an optimal “time” to train, regardless of when you eat, ie, prefer mornings over evenings etc or has your training adapted to lifestyle?
Absolutely. I am noticeably stronger between 9 and 11am. There was a program (I'll try and find it) where olympic athletes where saying how the time of the race on an event such as 100 meters (where milliseconds count) can be the difference between 1st and 5th. It was very interesting.
Personally I don't know how anyone can train past 8pm but the gym I worked at was rammed at that time. Crazy to me

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site

Like Hovis, I am more mornings for training, but I reckon if i had to pick a time for say a 10k race, i would want to go off at 11. Plenty of time for breakfast and loo etc,

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Can one do cardio & weights during the fasting period (in the morning?) Is it advisable. I had a couple of meetings cancelled today. so my morning opened up