Intermittent fasting

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can one do cardio & weights during the fasting period (in the morning?) Is it advisable. I had a couple of meetings cancelled today. so my morning opened up

yeh crack on! The common idea is that weights are best done second if you are doing both for weight loss.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
yeh crack on! The common idea is that weights are best done second if you are doing both for weight loss.
No no no ?. Weights always first when they are full of muscle glycogen. You can use fat as energy for cardio but not for anaerobic exercise such as weight training. If you do cardio first you use up all of your muscle energy and by the time you lift weights you're running on fumes

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
No no no ?. Weights always first when they are full of muscle glycogen. You can use fat as energy for cardio but not for anaerobic exercise such as weight training. If you do cardio first you use up all of your muscle energy and by the time you lift weights you're running on fumes

Interesting... when i had gone to a PT, he would ask to use the rowing machine or cross trainer for 7-10 mins to get the heart rate up and then move onto other weights etc. So interesting to see this.

BTW, my initial question was can I do cardio & weights during a fasting cycle rather than during the 8 hour eating window..

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interesting... when i had gone to a PT, he would ask to use the rowing machine or cross trainer for 7-10 mins to get the heart rate up and then move onto other weights etc. So interesting to see this.

BTW, my initial question was can I do cardio & weights during a fasting cycle rather than during the 8 hour eating window..
Yes no problem at all. Alot of people who intermittent fast train just before they break their fast. It has the benefit of not binging on your first meal. most people following training are not too hungry.
As for cardio before, What your pt has said is fine. He's just suggesting a light warm up to get things going not a full cardio session. I usually walk just over 1 mile to the gym for the same effect

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site

I was assuming our guinea pig is not doing a 40 minute heavy set followed by an hour in zone 4 cardio.

Its a good debate and I agree, the majority of the world would say Weights first. I refer to this small study though.. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16046343/

I think both in either order though will be of benefit to most people!!

Oh and I am in no way qualified on this topic, just a keen interest.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was assuming our guinea pig is not doing a 40 minute heavy set followed by an hour in zone 4 cardio.

Its a good debate and I agree, the majority of the world would say Weights first. I refer to this small study though.. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16046343/

Oink.. this is not a halal post.

I have no idea what the piece in bold means

My cardio is to get my bpm to 60-70% max heart rate.. so i will bike or rowing machine it. Followed by a series of single dumbbell exercise for about 30 mins. The weight range from 12-24 lbs
If i am doing my doing my full cardio, then I will aim for 70% max heart rate for 30 mins. (Simply because i get my Vitality points). The day i do 30 mins cardio, then i don't do much weights - except what i can do while on the bike.

The single dumbbell exercise i follow is mostly from here

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have no idea what the piece in bold means

Heart rate is common broken up into training zones, 1 through 5. 5 being the limit, 1 being very low. A lot of training for boosting CV fitness is done in Zone 2 which is anywhere from 60-80% of max HR (There are arguments on where the zones start and finish. For example, my zone 2 I work to is 131 to 143 bpm. This is where 85% of my training is done. Harder does not always mean better!! But this is a topic for another day!

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site

I've seen that study before (or one like it) If you hit the squat rack and after 10 sets you expect your legs to perform during a cardio session then you're correct (it's not going to happen). But when it comes to fat loss the goal is to reduce fat and maintain as much muscle as possible. When targeting fat there is no requirement for cardio performance (such as a personal best 5k). Basically when you walk into a gym you are as fresh as you're going to be. This is why you need to hit the weights first. You need to stimulate the muscle and give your body a reason to keep it. You can't do that if you've just blasted 5k. But if your goal is cardio performance/improvement then absolutely do the cardio first.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
I've seen that study before (or one like it) If you hit the squat rack and after 10 sets you expect your legs to perform during a cardio session then you're correct (it's not going to happen). But when it comes to fat loss the goal is to reduce fat and maintain as much muscle as possible. When targeting fat there is no requirement for cardio performance (such as a personal best 5k). Basically when you walk into a gym you are as fresh as you're going to be. This is why you need to hit the weights first. You need to stimulate the muscle and give your body a reason to keep it. You can't do that if you've just blasted 5k. But if your goal is cardio performance/improvement then absolutely do the cardio first.
B/H. There has to a better way. How much time do you need to spend on this? Get a life!

Now when you're young you dream of being rich. When you're rich you dream of being young.
So at age 57 and the richest person on the planet, Jeff Bezos now wants to be young again and is investing in research into reverse ageing by cellular programming.
Whutt?

I'm more interested in a simple 10 minute sequence "to look younger, sleep soundly; waking up feeling refreshed and energetic; release from serious medical problems including difficulties with spines; relief from problems with joints; release from pain; better memory; arthritis relief; weight loss; improved vision; greatly improved physical strength; endurance and vigour; improved emotional and mental health; enhanced sense of well being and harmony, and very high overall energy."

Too good to be true?
I'm referring to the 5 Tibetan Rites. Many videos online.
I've been practicing them now for nearly 15 years.
Do they work?
IMO very probably.
No equipment needed.
Be your own judge after 3 months of practice.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
B/H. There has to a better way. How much time do you need to spend on this? Get a life!

Now when you're young you dream of being rich. When you're rich you dream of being young.
So at age 57 and the richest person on the planet, Jeff Bezos now wants to be young again and is investing in research into reverse ageing by cellular programming.
Whutt?

I'm more interested in a simple 10 minute sequence "to look younger, sleep soundly; waking up feeling refreshed and energetic; release from serious medical problems including difficulties with spines; relief from problems with joints; release from pain; better memory; arthritis relief; weight loss; improved vision; greatly improved physical strength; endurance and vigour; improved emotional and mental health; enhanced sense of well being and harmony, and very high overall energy."

Too good to be true?
Do they work?
IMO very probably.
No equipment needed.

D

Deleted member 16999

Whutt?

Too good to be true?
Do they work?
IMO very probably.
No equipment needed.
??? surely if they improve your all those physical attributes and memory etc there’d be more proof than just “very probably in your opinion.”

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yes no problem at all. Alot of people who intermittent fast train just before they break their fast. It has the benefit of not binging on your first meal. most people following training are not too hungry.
As for cardio before, What your pt has said is fine. He's just suggesting a light warm up to get things going not a full cardio session. I usually walk just over 1 mile to the gym for the same effect

I must say this was a revelation to me .. I thought I would be a hungry pig after training, turns out I was not. I could do with a soup or so. Though the hunger pangs hit a few hours later.

Red devil

Visit site
I train fasted,just before I break my 36hr fast on a Wednesday and Friday never noticed any difference really.
Weights first then cardio, tried it other way round too out of puff for the weights

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I must say this was a revelation to me .. I thought I would be a hungry pig after training, turns out I was not. I could do with a soup or so. Though the hunger pangs hit a few hours later.
Whenever I've done exercise that was sufficiently cardio, I've never found it easy to eat a lot afterwards. Cycling and XC skiing in particular. I guess it's something to do with the blood being needed somewhere other than the stomach? That's idle speculation on my part, not science!

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Whenever I've done exercise that was sufficiently cardio, I've never found it easy to eat a lot afterwards. Cycling and XC skiing in particular. I guess it's something to do with the blood being needed somewhere other than the stomach? That's idle speculation on my part, not science!

Spot on. Your stomach takes up alot of energy and uses a lot of blood.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I tried doing a workout during the fasting cycle... it felt alright. As mentioned earlier, did not feel that hungry after that.

So played Squash yesterday during the fasting cycle. Full 90 mins, with my cardio going to 80%+ for a few rallies. i had only had a cup of tea in the morning.... but i was buzzing with energy. Probably undid all the benefits with a big curry when i got home. Then siesta...

... what a rare Sunday I had..

.. now I m going to have Salt baths all week.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Q for those who know about such things…

Soon will be a month since I started IF. Will do a weigh in. Honestly I don’t expect to lose much. Maybe a kg or so.. which maybe rounding effect. May just be case of losing some water.

However, I haven’t missed having breakie. I do ‘feel’ lighter. I have been doing some weights + squash and 70% cardio few times a week.

I may have gained 10g of muscle which might have cancelled some of the weight loss. How does one measure for change in muscle mass?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
The only accurate way to assess body composition and any changes in that is a Dexa Scan or similar imo.

It is also very difficult to build muscle on a calorie deficit.

If you feel lighter and that what you're doing is having benefit then skip the scales - they often disappoint!

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I may have gained 10g of muscle which might have cancelled some of the weight loss. How does one measure for change in muscle mass?
You can't really. Did you say 10g of muscle? As in 10 grams?
Taking measurements is the best way. You don't tend to gain muscle around the neck and abdomen. So measure them areas (measure on the same day when you get out of bed) also, if your clothes are getting looser but the scales are staying the same then it's still all good.
Weekly photo is also very handy too

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You can't really. Did you say 10g of muscle? As in 10 grams?
Taking measurements is the best way. You don't tend to gain muscle around the neck and abdomen. So measure them areas (measure on the same day when you get out of bed) also, if your clothes are getting looser but the scales are staying the same then it's still all good.
Weekly photo is also very handy too

10g was a throwaway comment. I Like the rest of the ur comment.. very helpful. Though I don’t really plan to measure my guns.
as you said, trouser is a bit loose. Another key is that my wedding ring starting to slide off.. ?