Interesting Driver Testing

Down_The_Middle

Head Pro
Visit site
Up at my local range on Wednesday they were demoing Taylormade and Cleveland goodies, After hitting a Cleveland iron thought I would move on to a TM driver. Found what I thought was a suitable RBZ 10.5* and started to give it a whack. Hitting it really well, quite liked it. After handing it back to one of the guys there was a few giggle comong from them. Turns out the driver had a ladies shaft in it. So after a few wise cracks tried the same club with a mens reg shaft in it. Didnt hit that as well as the ladies. If I hadnt bought a g20 back in November I would of been tempted to buy the Ladies RBZ.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Perhaps it suited your swing speed, nothing wrong with that if it worked for you. Now take the panties off and get out on the range with the G20 big dog.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I do not mind admitting that after going for a driver fitting the ideal shaft for me was designed for single figure lady and senior golfers!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Heard a story about this happening to 4 Pros with 4 different Drivers.

The Ladies flex shaft won hands down for both length and dispersion.

Of course, they all went back to the same (mainly X) flex they'd been trained to use.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Heard a story about this happening to 4 Pros with 4 different Drivers.

The Ladies flex shaft won hands down for both length and dispersion.

Of course, they all went back to the same (mainly X) flex they'd been trained to use.

related to this - I always get the worse vibes when I come up against an unknown (to me) match opponent who has some unconventional clubs in the bag; the odd ladies wood, vastly different well used wedges, incomplete iron 'set', 9 wood etc

less worried if there aren't any up to date models in there, and chippers count for me, not against!

the mental ability to accept what's right for you, and use it, is not something found in abundance in male golfers!

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I started a post about this awhile back, even suggested GM do an article/feature on it with 4 different handicaps swapping with 4 ladies clubs for the day.

I play X stiff irons
Stiff Driver, Stiff 4 wood and stiff hybrid........

Then by chance I tried a regular shaft driver in my search for a new driver and creamed it from the outset. Now bought a reg shaft TM and its going rather well.......so far...only had 1 round with it.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Personally I think it's about time the manufacturers stopped using thes random and highly variable terms for shaft flex and started using something a bit more meaningful, like a standards based scale so we all knew what the difference was. It will however never catch on.

If the womens shaft works for you, use it, people will soon stop sniggering when you're dishing out a big old can of whoop ass on the course.

A

Alex1975

yep, I wish they would so standardisation of some kind, even if it was a 1-10 or 1-50 scale. I guess its not as easy as we think to do or the manufactures are against it for some reason.

If IT had not been standardised then we would be in a very messy situation now...

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Best thing I ever done was to get fitted. Moved from a stiff MFT Kai'li in my 910. Now ripping a Regular Pro Launch Red SC

Hardly miss a fairway now.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think this just goes to emphasise the point that many players struggle to hit a driver because the shaft flex they use is incorrect for them. I think it would be a good idea to change the way they rate shaft flex across the industry. TM did try this back in the 90's they had there shafts marked as X-100, S-90, R-80, S-70 and L-60. Good idea I thought. With a rifle shaft they are rated by numbers also rahter than ladies, seniors, regular, stiff and x-stiff.