Intelligent golf advice

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
How does it work out how many shots you get?

Played in a nine hole comp yesterday. I started the comp playing off 18.9 the computer gave me 8 shots when I finished with 21 points but assumed I would have 9 shots. I thought I had finished with 22 points. Half of 18.9 being 9.45 rounded to 9
Another guy finished with 21 points. He started the day playing off 17 exact. He also recieved 8 shots. He finished 1st on. Count back.
Another guy finished with 21 points. He started the day playing off 17.7. He also recieved 8 shots. He finished 3 rd on count back.

So in essence I have a couple or three questions. Was 8 shots for me the correct amount of shots. If it is, could someone explain why? Again if it isn't could someone explain why? Also were all our three scores played with the right amount of shots?

Secondly, and this is a bit that concerns me even more. Since moving to intelligent golf ( which is a system that has grown on me). How can it be right that we are going out to play a round not knowing how many shots we have. This has been questioned before at our club but is met with the " let the computer work it out when you put your scores in". How can that be right. A PP came in yesterday with 20 points. However when he put his score in it gave him 21 points. What would of happend if he had picked up thinking he could not score. Be it a 6" tap in or a chip in. He could of missed out on a point, ironically he was winning his div when we left yesterday.
Thoughts please. 👍

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
22.3 A Nine-Hole Competition Handicap Allowance must be calculated as follows:
[Exact Handicap + Nine-Hole SSS – (Nine-Hole Par x2)] / 2

For example, if the player has an Exact Handicap of 12.8 and the Nine-Hole SSS and Par are 69 and 34 respectively the Nine-Hole Competition Handicap Allowance is:

[12.8 + 69 – (34 x2)] / 2= [12.8 + 69 – 68] / 2 = 6.9 rounded to 7.

Where the Nine-Hole Competition Handicap Allowances calculated for players differ from their Playing Handicaps, the Committee must make the players aware of their total stroke allowances for the competition. It is recommended that the Nine-Hole Competition Handicap Allowance is recorded on the player’s scorecard alongside the player’s Playing Handicap. (see also Note 1 below).

D

Deleted member 15344

It’s a nine Comp so the amount of shots given is not half of handicap

But what you should see is your shot allowance when you complete the round

The easiest way is to just put your gross scores and the computer will work it out

Tashyboy

Visit site
22.3 A Nine-Hole Competition Handicap Allowance must be calculated as follows:
[Exact Handicap + Nine-Hole SSS – (Nine-Hole Par x2)] / 2

For example, if the player has an Exact Handicap of 12.8 and the Nine-Hole SSS and Par are 69 and 34 respectively the Nine-Hole Competition Handicap Allowance is:

[12.8 + 69 – (34 x2)] / 2= [12.8 + 69 – 68] / 2 = 6.9 rounded to 7.

Where the Nine-Hole Competition Handicap Allowances calculated for players differ from their Playing Handicaps, the Committee must make the players aware of their total stroke allowances for the competition. It is recommended that the Nine-Hole Competition Handicap Allowance is recorded on the player’s scorecard alongside the player’s Playing Handicap. (see also Note 1 below).

Going to try and work it out now I have a formula Jim. The course is Par 72, OFF whites 73, off yellows (which I played off) 71. Don't know if it is relevant. Not got a clue what the nine hole is. Your calculations explain why said PP got another shot back.
As I see it Jim (18.9+ 71 -70 ) /2 = 9.95. Rounded to 10
However if the course is a par36 for the day for a nine hole comp ( 18.9 + 71 - 72) /2 = 8.95. Rounded to 9.

Things are clearer 😂😂😂😂😂

Cheers boys, gonna have a word with secretary tomorrow. Er no am not he don't work Thursday's..😖

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Going to try and work it out now I have a formula Jim. The course is Par 72, OFF whites 73, off yellows (which I played off) 71. Don't know if it is relevant. Not got a clue what the nine hole is. Your calculations explain why said PP got another shot back.
As I see it Jim (18.9+ 71 -70 ) /2 = 9.95. Rounded to 10
However if the course is a par36 for the day for a nine hole comp ( 18.9 + 71 - 72) /2 = 8.95. Rounded to 9.

Things are clearer 😂😂😂😂😂

Cheers boys, gonna have a word with secretary tomorrow. Er no am not he don't work Thursday's..😖

not all 18 hole courses have 9 hole SSS, We do for our ladies Red tees and so can play qualifiers over 9 holes on it but the white and Yellow dont.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
not all 18 hole courses have 9 hole SSS, We do for our ladies Red tees and so can play qualifiers over 9 holes on it but the white and Yellow dont.
Presumably you mean the reds have a 9 hole SSS for the ladies (only) and the whites/yellows are only rated for the men?

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Presumably you mean the reds have a 9 hole SSS for the ladies (only) and the whites/yellows are only rated for the men?

The only 9 hole SSS we have is for ladies of the red, there are no 9 hole SSS for any other tees for anyone, although I have given the men instructions on how they can get hem/

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The only 9 hole SSS we have is for ladies of the red, there are no 9 hole SSS for any other tees for anyone, although I have given the men instructions on how they can get hem/
They ought to get the yellows done at least (but as you will know it's only a paper exercise and takes a day or so). 9 holes are getting popular these days with those who have time constraints ot limited walking capabilities.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
They ought to get the yellows done at least (but as you will know it's only a paper exercise and takes a day or so). 9 holes are getting popular these days with those who have time constraints ot limited walking capabilities.

Hopefully they are getting it done, we have a lot of juniors and the girls can get proper handicaps over 9 holes but the boys cant, which is a shame.

Tashyboy

Visit site

Lou our course has been set up for front and back nine comps. Last week I was playing off 19 in a 18 hole comp. obviously two shots on SI 1 which is on the back nine. Following week, 8 shots on a nine hole comp on the front. They are popular at our place. 56 played off the whites, 26 off the yellows and 8 ladies 90 folk mid weeks not a bad effort.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We are fortunate in that we have a separate 9 hole course which makes the running of 9 hole comps very easy but sadly they are not well supported often just having 2 players in the comp.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Sorted, I have the answer I was looking for.
I went into the clubshop and collared the guy behind the counter. I told him my problem with not knowing my hcap before I went out. He was the guy who told me countless times. " computer will sort it". He agreed and said "Tash before we went onto Intelligent golf, we always had a sheet for all comps and tees re 18 hole, 9 hole and what your hcap was, it was always at the top of this drawer but they have gone walkies". He opened said drawer and says
" whoa, how longs that been there". It was said sheets re comp format and more importantly, said hcaps and shots per hole.
Re my situation. Playing off the yellows, melons, lemons. The range of 8 shots for the nine hole Comp is from 17 to 18.9, which is exactly the range of which i was on at 18.9 and the winner at 17. As the famous comedian Jimmy Cricket used to say " and there's more".
Whilst walking out of the shop happy at said outcome, who do I bump into. Said winner of said 9 hole comp. He commented on how tight the comp was and how odd it was that the three of us finished on 21 points with 8 shots each. He then says" Tash how comes we got 8 shots each when your playing off 19" 😳😁Talk about light the fuse. Anyway I went over the story with him and he said am taking a photo of said sheet so I know where I stand re shots for each comp.
Conclusion Tashyboy is a lot happier seeing said sheet rather than computer says so.
Cheers everyone.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Sorted, I have the answer I was looking for.
I went into the clubshop and collared the guy behind the counter. I told him my problem with not knowing my hcap before I went out. He was the guy who told me countless times. " computer will sort it". He agreed and said "Tash before we went onto Intelligent golf, we always had a sheet for all comps and tees re 18 hole, 9 hole and what your hcap was, it was always at the top of this drawer but they have gone walkies". He opened said drawer and says
" whoa, how longs that been there". It was said sheets re comp format and more importantly, said hcaps and shots per hole.
Re my situation. Playing off the yellows, melons, lemons. The range of 8 shots for the nine hole Comp is from 17 to 18.9, which is exactly the range of which i was on at 18.9 and the winner at 17. As the famous comedian Jimmy Cricket used to say " and there's more".
Whilst walking out of the shop happy at said outcome, who do I bump into. Said winner of said 9 hole comp. He commented on how tight the comp was and how odd it was that the three of us finished on 21 points with 8 shots each. He then says" Tash how comes we got 8 shots each when your playing off 19" 😳😁Talk about light the fuse. Anyway I went over the story with him and he said am taking a photo of said sheet so I know where I stand re shots for each comp.
Conclusion Tashyboy is a lot happier seeing said sheet rather than computer says so.
Cheers everyone.
And the cause of the 'imbalance' is likely to be that (one or other, or a combination of) the SSS for the 9-Hole course is not half of SSS for the 18 hole course. Along with the fact that Exact Handicap is used, cf Rounded for 18 hole comps.

Tashyboy

Visit site
And the cause of the 'imbalance' is likely to be that (one or other, or a combination of) the SSS for the 9-Hole course is not half of SSS for the 18 hole course. Along with the fact that Exact Handicap is used, cf Rounded for 18 hole comps.

Foxy, am chuffed to bits that I now know the answer. Part of me was previously narked with the " computer will sort it out". There must of been a reason why it was what it was. Am going through a change on the course re playing off yellows now and not whites. So am not fully up to speed re shots etc. Played off 19 but my two shots on SI 1 is/ was on the back nine. This being a front nine comp. Anyway chuffed to bits knowing outcome. And my inquisitive nature now means said sheets with hcaps on will now be displayed for all comps. 👍