Injury and scorecard/handicap

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Played in a comp yesterday, walking between 14th green/15th tee I rolled my ankle really badly and had to hobble in. Made them aware in pro shop that it was injury problem. Results are posted and I am showing as NR with 0.1 handicap increase. Is that correct?

Thanks a lot

Swango1980

Visit site
Played in a comp yesterday, walking between 14th green/15th tee I rolled my ankle really badly and had to hobble in. Made them aware in pro shop that it was injury problem. Results are posted and I am showing as NR with 0.1 handicap increase. Is that correct?

Thanks a lot
What sort of score were you on after 14th? Good, bad or ugly?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
my mate walked off the course in our last comp after doing his knee, he showed as NR but didn't get 0.1 as it was injured

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Thanks a lot
For an injury, you'd normally be removed from the Comp..... we don't refund entrance fees. I'd be contacting the H/cap Team directly rather than leaving messages else-where. With regard to the idea that folk would do it just to avoid the 0.1 I would hope that there is still some measure of trust in the game. Deal with it if it occurs repeatedly but don't assume everybody cheats.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The CONGU Manual says that:

The Handicap Committee would be justified in:
(a) refusing to accept a card or record a ‘no return’ when the player has walked in after playing only a few holes;
(b) not issuing cards to players where there is obviously insufficient light for them to complete their round;
(c) giving sympathetic consideration to players who have had to discontinue play for any reason considered to be reasonable by the organising committee.

I think (c) probably applies here.

Swango1980

Visit site
The CONGU Manual says that:

The Handicap Committee would be justified in:
(a) refusing to accept a card or record a ‘no return’ when the player has walked in after playing only a few holes;
(b) not issuing cards to players where there is obviously insufficient light for them to complete their round;
(c) giving sympathetic consideration to players who have had to discontinue play for any reason considered to be reasonable by the organising committee.

I think (c) probably applies here.
Yes. But, if player was nowhere near playing to his handicap after the 14th, then got injured, then I suspect it would be reasonable to give him 0.1 back. If he was playing around or better than handicap, then (c) would be worth consideration.

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
my mate walked off the course in our last comp after doing his knee, he showed as NR but didn't get 0.1 as it was injured

So I found this in the CONGU handbook

You become unwell or injured during the round and cannot continue. In this case you should explain the circumstances to the competition organiser and very probably your card would be excluded from the competition and there would be no change to your handicap. It may be that your marker cannot join up with another group and therefore his or her score would not be counted either.

So what does "very probably" mean and who decides?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Personally I would enter the player as withdrawn injured and the secretary who normally does the cards at our club would do the same.

As said it is the committees/organisers discretion.

Swango1980

Visit site
So I found this in the CONGU handbook

You become unwell or injured during the round and cannot continue. In this case you should explain the circumstances to the competition organiser and very probably your card would be excluded from the competition and there would be no change to your handicap. It may be that your marker cannot join up with another group and therefore his or her score would not be counted either.

So what does "very probably" mean and who decides?
The Committee decide, and very probably means not definitely. If a player went of injured on the last hole or so, and had 20 points to that stage, I don't think excluding the card would be appropriate. If they were around buffer or better, then it could be more appropriate to exclude them

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The Committee decide, and very probably means not definitely. If a player went of injured on the last hole or so, and had 20 points to that stage, I don't think excluding the card would be appropriate. If they were around buffer or better, then it could be more appropriate to exclude them
That makes sense to me. I think I could understand them projecting my score and intimating I may not have made buffer, hence the 0.1. They don't have a good track record of thinking about these things so, hence my question. Responses much appreciated.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

Thanks a lot

Should it not have been reported to rhe committee, not the proshop?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes. But, if player was nowhere near playing to his handicap after the 14th, then got injured, then I suspect it would be reasonable to give him 0.1 back. If he was playing around or better than handicap, then (c) would be worth consideration.

Sure, that would be part of the consideration and the other would be the reason for the withdrawal. Realising the Spurs were kicking off early today probably wouldn't cut it.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I've walked in a few times (4 or 5) over the years and have been mainly scrubbed from the comp, the last time (a few weeks ago) when I felt really sickly they added .1. I was not worried either way other than the first time when I was playing pretty well, got injured, and the .1 would have put me on a handicap increase for the whole of the winter which i didn't want, my club were unhelpful and i spoke to Golf England and they confirmed i shouldn't have gone up and the Club finally agreed