Garmin G6 and Matchplay query

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi

I am just getting started on club comps, and have had a few friendly games of match play in advance of my first round in the high handicap summer knockout comp.

To work out handicap, I think that you look at the difference between course handicap of the two players, and the higher handicap player gets that difference, and they are taken over the lowest SI holes. So if handicap 20 v 10, then the high handicap player gets 10 shots, taken over SI 1-10 inclusive. Is that right?

I was using my Garmin G6 yesterday in matchplay mode. I had entered the two players actual course handicaps (in this case 35 v 19) as "local handicaps". On the SI 1 hole, the Garmin gave us both two shots, and as we both took 6, it recorded us as having half-ed the hole. I think that was incorrect - actually the high handicap player won the hole as they had a shot over their opponent. Is that correct?

In typing this, I guess the solution if using the Garmin to keep score is to record the lower handicap player as scratch, and the higher handicap player as the difference.

Am I interpreting the rules correctly, and am I using the Garmin properly too?

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sometimes technology uses up more time than necessary

Your working out of where shots are given is correct.

On a score card circle the holes where the highest handicap player get shots, agree the result of each hole with your opponent and mark it on the card in the results column.

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
Sometimes technology uses up more time than necessary

Your working out of where shots are given is correct.

On a score card circle the holes where the highest handicap player get shots, agree the result of each hole with your opponent and mark it on the card in the results column.

Thanks Jim. You're right on the technology. SatNav good for distances (at least, good enough for my standard), and a bit of a pfaff for scorekeeping, unless it is absolutely chucking it down.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
On a personal note I very rarely use a card in match play. Agree the hole result and its affect on the match e.g. 3 up 2 down and keep it in my head. Most opponents do the same.