Initial handicap too low?

Trodski

Visit site
Hi All,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Just after some advice on my new handicap allocation. Bit of background, I have played for three years or so but never joined a club. I keep record of a handicap on the swing by swing app on my phone which is currently 15.2. I've recently had four or five lessons and put a bit of practice in and have seen some pretty solid improvements pretty quickly.

I have recently joined a club so my question is what do you think my handicap should be based on the following 3 cards?

89, sss 71. Fairly calm day
85, sss 71, Fairly calm day
85, sss 71, 15-20mph winds

Let's see if someone can guess and then I'll let you know what it is.

D

Deleted member 15344

10/11 would be a good guess - also depends on the make up of rounds

Trodski

Visit site
I'll tell you the makeup of the two 85 rounds;

1 birdie, 8 pars, 4 bogeys, 4 doubles, 1 treble
10 pars, 4 bogeys, 2 doubles, 2 trebles

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's either 11 or 12, not enough detail to put money on it. If pressed and given odds I would go 12, but I don't like agreeing with Homer 🤔

Trodski

Visit site
Cheers for the replies.... so maybe they weren't too far off. Seems the replies average somewhere close to 11.

I came in at 9.

I was just a little surprised 😳 . I know handicap is a measure of potential but I have literally never posted a score of 9 over (best of 84).

I thought it may come in around 12 but clearly I don't have a great grasp of how the system works.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Doesn't fit the current calculation routine; I have a solid grasp and am surprised!

Handicap allocations have an element of potential; which is why having played to 14 twice you would be allocated 12...

Congratulations on your 9, but I would love to know how they got there 🤔

Trodski

Visit site
Do you think it would be worth a chat with the handicap sec?

Look I'd love to be a real 9 capper, but I certainly don't feel like one.

I've heard a few muttering about 'bandit' and people 'having words' with the committee as I hit a long ball. They don't mention the ones where I hit it OB and make a treble.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

Look I'd love to be a real 9 capper, but I certainly don't feel like one.

I've heard a few muttering about 'bandit' and people 'having words' with the committee as I hit a long ball. They don't mention the ones where I hit it OB and make a treble.

I agree with Duncan - from the scores quoted, it doesn't stack up. Handicap Committee going on hearsay?

User20204

Visit site

If it were me, I'd see it as a challenge to test yourself. That's what bloody brilliant about this game, it gives you an opportunity to chase the rainbow every time you go out.

Trodski

Visit site
If it were me, I'd see it as a challenge to test yourself. That's what bloody brilliant about this game, it gives you an opportunity to chase the rainbow every time you go out.

Yeah, we all want to get better right! I would rather have a lower hcap than be a sandbagger. The only issue is we're on winter tees currently 5900 yds and comp tees are 6500.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Were any of your 3 scores made playing in an official qualifier that had a CSS higher than the SS ?.
Not sure if that higher CSS could be used for initial h/c though :confused:

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Possibly, didn't help that I won the money in our 4 ball three weeks in a row 🙈

I'm sure you know that cannot be taken into account. From the 3 cards used - no adjustments to be applied - and applying the laid down formula your handicap should be 12. Handicap committees can use any other information - such as previous handicap history - to alter the calculated figure. You say you have been playing for 3 years with no previous handicap to take into consideration so I fail to see the reason for not accepting the calculated handicap. I would be asking the Handicap Committee to explain their reasoning. You might be happy to get on with trying to play to your new handicap but, if not challenged, your Handicap Committee might just think that they can get away with anything.